spc
Search similar:

uniqs
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

Can't download anything from two sites-USG 200

Anyone experience the inability to download on a USG with some sites?

Longer version:

As if I don't have enough going on at work....Okay, this problem has been there either a) ever since I installed the ZyXel or b) Ever since I installed a 2nd Internet connection and started load balancing (I don't remember which). The problem is there are two specific sites that we are unable to download from. We can log into the sites fine, browse the sites to our resource, and start a download, but the behavior ranges from the download getting a few kb, to sometimes getting halfway through a download then hanging indefinitely.

We have tried IE, firefox, and chrome, all with the same result. All were tried on WinXP machines (yeah, I know....funds...time), and macs.

Yesterday something strange happened...I personally don't usually get involved in these downloads, but I needed 40 files for a project I am work on. We had to obtain them from these sites. I asked the production guy to try and download them from the WIRELESS and it worked. WTF?

Any ideas? What is odd about the wireless, is it is connected to the USG 200 and load balanced as well. Why on earth would my wireless download, yet my wired doesn't? Even weirder, the wireless is double-NATed because the "Access Point" is actually an old watchguard x50w, and I can't turn NAT off.

AFAIK, those two sites are the only problematic ones. I can download linux distros all day long, or large video files from other sites and not have a problem.

Stumped.

-Alan

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Brano

MVM

I'm afraid only packet capture will tell.
FirebirdTN
Brighton, TN

1 edit

FirebirdTN

said by Brano:

I afraid only packet capture will tell.

I was afraid of that. I guess I will have to put this one "on the back burner" again. We are terribly understaffed, and I have more projects than I can shake a stick at.

Anyway, the big problem is I only know enough to be dangerous. When I get the packet captures, I will most definitely need help deciphering them.

Dammit I hate computers sometimes, especially tech support. I'm just venting here, but as it applies to my problem-A few months back I contacted the owner of one of those two sites. He put me in contact with his "technical" guy. Unfortunately, the "tech guy" couldn't help much because they lease this server from a company called "Rackspace" I believe. So I tried to contact them in an effort to get this resolved. They would not even talk with me because "I didn't have an account with them". At that point, I gave up.

In all this time my users have had -EDIT- to employ other means of working around this problem. -END EDIT- Not very productive.

By the way, for those that don't know...I work in AM/FM broadcast. These two sites are how we get new releases on the radio before you can buy the CDs.

-Alan
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb

I have two WAN connections but haven't seen this behavior on any of the sites I use. Perhaps it's because I don't use load balancing and pretty much only bind specific things to DSL because it is so much slower than my cable HSI? Before I had my USG50, I did have issues with the load balancing on my Xincom router for certain VPN connections to client sites. They seemed to not handle the situations when particular traffic from me was coming from alternating IP addresses very gracefully.

Have you tried troubleshooting by creating a policy route to bind a specific computer to a single WAN connection to see if the USG WAN load balancing is the issue? If that seems to work I wonder if you could create a policy route to force all traffic for these specific sites to use a single WAN connection as a workaround?

It would also be interesting if one of us with a USG that's not using WAN connection load balancing could try to access one of these sites and see if we see the problem too, but that doesn't seem practical if it's industry-specific and few people have access to it.
gb5102
join:2003-10-07
Saint Paul, MN

gb5102 to FirebirdTN

to FirebirdTN
Try to disable Receive Side Scaling in the properties of your wired NIC(via Device Manager)

I know it might sound strange, but I ran into an issue a while back that sounds somewhat similar. We had a particular website that 1 client on the network could not access via wired connection, we found this website would work via wifi. So after a bit of troubleshooting, I disabled RSS on the wired NIC and for whatever reason, it worked!!
(it was a Realtek gigabit nic in a Fujitsu laptop, don't recall nic model#, tried updated driver but the only fix was to disable rss...)
tcquade
join:2012-03-24
Regina, SK

1 edit

tcquade to FirebirdTN

to FirebirdTN
You didn't indicate the file transfer protocol. It could be FTP. In that case the FTP server may drop the connection if the FTP control and data ports do not resolve to the same client IP address. With load balancing these two may not be the same or stay the same.

Ted

P.S. Also make sure your browser (or FTP client) is set to passive FTP.
FirebirdTN
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN

said by tcquade:

You didn't indicate the file transfer protocol.

You are right. I will have to go back and look, but I believe it is HTTP.

And I did obtain the IP address of one of the two sites...I found it odd that only a single IP address was given to me. I thought for sure that site is hosted on a load-balancing network as well....anyway, I have put policy routes in place to keep all traffic destined for that site on one specific connection. That didn't work either.

-Alan