opus74
Deep Thought
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

[FP-Ops] What is involved with being a FP Operator?

What is involved with this? Just care & feeding and a place for it to fold? Any time or maintenance required?
--
Lordy, I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam and they both tried to kill me in 1973.

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

Re: [FP-Ops] Retiring as FP Operator

Very little time is required to manage foldy blades. I tend to mine mostly by keeping an eye on them, watching that they have not crashed, and occasionally installing updates. The biggest requirement is to have a place for it to sit and crunch away.

Foldy4 Blade1- TwoFrogs See Profile
New: February 2008: »[FP] New Foldy4 shipped
CPU: Quad Core 6600 in Dell Inspiron 530 system
Client: SMP

said by opus74:

What is involved with this? Just care & feeding and a place for it to fold? Any time or maintenance required?

--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be hosting two Crunchenstein blades, and six Foldinator blades

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to opus74
said by opus74:

Thank you for your interest, opus74, to my knowledge this FAQ entry is current. If not, I hope someone will tell us.

»DC Projects »Who can host a Foldinator System and How?

»DC Projects »What is a Foldinator Project member and how do I become one?

--
Join Team Helix

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown
reply to opus74

Re: [FP-Ops] What is involved with being a FP Operator?

Right now Foldy4 is set up to manually start Version 6 (it could be set up as a service but I have not attempted to do so) and to manually start the Windows task running the script to upload unitinfo.txt to the nozero site and to fah-tool.org. Both tasks will run indefinitely until a system reboot.

Concerns: 1. Foldy4 is running Vista Basic (windows Me redux), but it is certainly adequate for folding purposes.
2. It has no monitor. Not having a spare, I initially wrestled the monitor from my personal machine into use with foldy4 temporarily, until sortofageek See Profile pointed me to Logmein, an excellent remote control program. Recently Logmein abandoned its free program, so I installed Teamviewer, which also works well for remote control. At parkut See Profile's instance I have installed TightVNC, which I finally got working well, for remote control. These programs of course require installation of client software on the accessing computer.

Other than occasionally blowing out the interior dust, it has required very little physical maintenance or monitoring.
--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

opus74
Deep Thought
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Coello, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

Re: [FP-Ops] Retiring as FP Operator

I can do this, if you need. I have multiple machines on a KVM switch with some open ports, so no issue there. Let me know what I can do to help.
Larry
--
Lordy, I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam and they both tried to kill me in 1973.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

4 recommendations

Sorry, I usually take care of these issues, but I've been on overload for a couple weeks....

I will get something going for you to get this process going. I see little reason to think it won't work out, it just has to go through the process we've set up.

Stick with me, and we'll get 'er done.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
reply to TwoFrogs

Re: [FP-Ops] What is involved with being a FP Operator?

TightVNC is good software, I've been running it on several machines for years.