HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

FacePalm Request Of The Day...

Click for full size
Idunno, I'm Just Following The Error Message
Snipped out the incriminating bits and identifiable IP addresses

Request goes : "I am not able to join the above server to DMZ domain, getting below error. Please check & advise from your end, I have already checked with AD team nothing wrong from there end."

I so want to reply to this twit, his manager, and his manager's manager and ask if his qualifications came from a week-old rolled up newspaper in the trashbin.

Regards

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
what ended up happening?

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
Deleted the request from the ticket system and pretended it never existed?
:-p

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to HELLFIRE
For me? Ignored it as I wasn't working on it directly.

For the person(s) who were? A whole lot of running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The RIGHT way would've been

a) are the listed IP addresses valid DNS servers?

b) is there reachability between this new server and the DNS servers... $20 says this twit stuck it in
the wrong zone of the network and doesn't know that.

c) is the requestor using the RIGHT DNS servers? ANOTHER $20 says they used an outdated SOP, or random
servers they picked out of a hat because "that was what someone else suggested to try."

d) check if said DNS server even has the specified zone present?

Regards

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
I thought "everything" was network problem

HELLFIRE
Premium
When isn't it aryoba See Profile ?

Regards

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Reminds me of a call from a clueless user one morning, all in a tizzy because "the internet is down!!". It took a few questions to drill down to the real problem... She was using Internet Explorer and some website had hijacked her homepage. Since IE was not coming up to the page that she normally used, then as far as she was concerned the internet was down.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to aryoba
We've found that blaming the network just leads to quicker resolutions mainly because 99% of the time it IS the network.

Not saying all networks are created equal...it's just this place has a "unique" network.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

HELLFIRE
Premium

1 edit
Agree with you on the 1st part Drex See Profile , the last part I find the reverse true : 99% of server / OS / app admins are
COMPLETE and UTTER morons... it takes all kinds, and I'm more than happy to make the accuser(s) eat crow when I produce
findings to the contrary of their accusations.

Oh well... stuff like this shortens our lifespan... but keeps us gainfully employed!

Regards

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to Drex
Another confusion is how exactly the network problem lies. If someone configured wrong IP address on server, is it really network problem or server problem? If Youtube access is slow because voice traffic is prioritized, is it really network problem or management-decision problem?

My 2c

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
said by aryoba:

Another confusion is how exactly the network problem lies. If someone configured wrong IP address on server, is it really network problem or server problem? If Youtube access is slow because voice traffic is prioritized, is it really network problem or management-decision problem?

My 2c

AKA Layer 8
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX
reply to HELLFIRE
C'mon guys, it's not the network. It's the FIREWALL!
--
Ali
Check Point Certified Security Expert

aryoba
Premium,MVM
Windows firewall?

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
"It's Youtube's firewall. That's why the video won't stream at work."

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to HELLFIRE
Best comment I heard all week, from a lady in her 70s I was helping with her computer:

"I think my laptop ate too many cookies".

(her laptop was slow, ended up just needed a good cleanup, no maintenance was perfomed since it was bought in 2010.)
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Lol!