Premium Member

to motorola870

Re: Austin area - Still only 4 bonded channels

said by motorola870:

the only central texas areas not included in the upgrade at this point are:
Waco
Temple
Killeen

I still cannot believe TWC not including Waco, Temple, and Killeen in this round of upgrades...you have Baylor University, Ft. Hood, Scott & White Regional Medical Center, and a relatively large population in the area...Not to mention that the area is fast becoming the latest bedroom community for Austin. smh
ncwred
join:2014-01-31
Austin, TX

ncwred

There's no Google Fiber coming to those communities. Why would TWC spend money where it has a monopoly?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by ncwred:

There's no Google Fiber coming to those communities. Why would TWC spend money where it has a monopoly?

because they have already mentioned that they will upgrade everyone on the austin system not just areas with fiber to the home. plus they would be wasting bandwidth if they didn't offer the upgrades to everyone fed from the Austin system as all of the systems in central TX owned by TWC save for: Columbus, Cuero, Gonzales, Kerrville, Waco, Temple, Killeen and the smaller communities surrounding those areas are interconnected to Austin somehow someway as they all get their video etc. via a fiber ring that is tied to Austin and the rest of the cities such as Round Rock, Luling, etc. the only area that is its own system with the Austin lineup is Fredericksburg and they are getting the upgrades as well.

I could say the same thing about TWC offering the 75Mbps tier in At&t Uverse areas or that because town with less than 1000 people aren't large enough to support cable should have it turned off the argument isn't really that good to not offer it everywhere in the system when you can.
motorola870

motorola870 to AnClar

to AnClar
said by AnClar:

said by motorola870:

the only central texas areas not included in the upgrade at this point are:
Waco
Temple
Killeen

I still cannot believe TWC not including Waco, Temple, and Killeen in this round of upgrades...you have Baylor University, Ft. Hood, Scott & White Regional Medical Center, and a relatively large population in the area...Not to mention that the area is fast becoming the latest bedroom community for Austin. smh

the reason is mainly they don't have the spectrum cleared to do it. Austin lost a ton of analogs over the last few years that Waco etc. hasn't such as having like 6+ public access channels which helped them out in getting 16 down 4 up bonding. Dallas has the bandwidth to go to 16 down 4 up bonding but they may have to change out limited basic traps to make it happen as right now TWC is sitting on analog slots:

in the Dallas metro. now they could probably drop 70-76 from analog to make even more room but I think the traps are like from channel 34-72 or something like that.

AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar

Premium Member

I don't know if you've seen my other posts, but the Temple/Belton/Killeen area got 8x4 bonding about a month ago. What that bodes for speed upgrades I don't know, but it's a good sign anyways.