Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

2 edits

1 recommendation

Wayne99021

Premium Member

[Firmware] Risk of beta testing firmware?

Split from --->
»[IPv6] Netgear retail router IPv6 issues... Sunny See Profile

»[Firmware] Risk of beta testing firmware?

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Netgear CM1150V
Netgear R7800

1 edit

mb6

Re: [IPv6] Netgear retail router IPv6 issues..

Click for full size
said by Wayne99021:

but they want me to sign a release saying, if the update bricks the router, they are not responsible.

That's absurd...

They want you to test a potential fix to their product that my cause it to work properly, but if it ends up destroying it, you assume the risk. Run, don't walk to Best Buy and buy a different brand. This ASUS RT-N66U connected to a Motorola SB6141 works flawlessly with Comcast HSI here.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks mb.
I was thinking the same thing.
I have the Motorola SB6141 modem and have been looking at the Asus but didn't have a model number.
I have used Netgear products for many years without problems, but lately it sure has gone down hill, quality wise and support wise.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

They do have a beta firmware update they want me to download and install to see if it fixes the problem, but they want me to sign a release saying, if the update bricks the router, they are not responsible.

Nice way of NOT standing behind their product! Was the guy drunk when he told you this? Must have been!

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

He was across the pond and it was very hard to understand him, so he could have been drunk.
Here is what the agreement they sent me to sign said.
"Limitations of liability. In no event shall company's liability hereunder this agreement arising out of any event exceed USD $1.00"
There are actually 15 parts to the agreement and is just a bunch of legal mumbo Jumbo.
The 10th one is the one above and that pretty much says it all.
Netgear seems to have a ton of nads.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

He was across the pond and it was very hard to understand him, so he could have been drunk.
Here is what the agreement they sent me to sign said.
"Limitations of liability. In no event shall company's liability hereunder this agreement arising out of any event exceed USD $1.00"
There are actually 15 parts to the agreement and is just a bunch of legal mumbo Jumbo.
The 10th one is the one above and that pretty much says it all.
Netgear seems to have a ton of nads.

The legal department and engineering department are too far away from each other.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
I've done a lot of closed (alpha to late alpha) both hardware and software betas (even run a few) it varies between filling in the reports to really rough going.
I try lots of open bets on my own, but I would not agree to those terms for a device new enough I care about it, if I'm already going to replace it, or have a backup I might.
doing betas can be good brain exercise, or stroke inducing depending on what you like. You won't get rich doing it either.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

They do have a beta firmware update they want me to download and install to see if it fixes the problem, but they want me to sign a release saying, if the update bricks the router, they are not responsible.

sounds like classic netgear, consumer-level at least. average hardware, reeeeal crap software/support
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to mb6

to mb6
I've been running the RT-N66U for quite sometime and I must say it works better than any Netgear router I ever had... I run the stock firmware and it work well. I am weary of running Merlin or any of the others since I am not familiar with coding and I don't have the time to mess with potential problems.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Just saw on one of the Netgear forums that the 3.52 beta firmware they wanted me to load didn't fix the problem either.
Glad I stopped when I did.
Netgear sent me a survey, which I did fill out, but they aren't really like what I wrote.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to luckmann

MVM

to luckmann
The Merlin firmware is an extension of the stock firmware, which is based on open source firmware dd-wrt. ASUS has actually adopted some of Merlin's changes to use in the stock firmware. I've had the router since November (2013), and have now had 4 firmware updates. They are very fast and easy to load. The latest one addresses a problem with Comcast's IPV6 implementation. You get a lot more features than with the stock firmware, including an ipv6 firewall.
owlyn

owlyn to Wayne99021

MVM

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Just saw on one of the Netgear forums that the 3.52 beta firmware they wanted me to load didn't fix the problem either.
Glad I stopped when I did.
Netgear sent me a survey, which I did fill out, but they aren't really like what I wrote.

Abandoning my Netgear router for an ASUS was one of the best things I've done. Note that the Netgear Genie still provides some functions with the ASUS if you still want to use it.
System

Anon

(topic move) Why the big fuss now?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] Why the big fuss now?