uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon FiOS

[Channels] FIOS New Channel additions---Determination?

Who makes the determination at FIOS regarding adding new channels or adding HD channels? My old provider would provide updates on the 15th and 30th of each month in legal notices in the local newspapers. This would inform you if a new channel is added in SD & HD or even notify you of channels taken out of the lineup.

The FIOS forum just asks for ideas? When you post something there, the administrator states that was mentioned before and deletes your post.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

It would be nice of them to let us know when they do add new HD's since they know people are waiting for more. They never mentioned anything about MTV2 or One America News or Pivot when we got them. That's what they should be using the STB message center for. No one would ever know unless they came here that they have a new channel. I wouldn't know either if it wasn't for this board. It's really a shame.
Cablevision always lets their subs know through their monthly bills about all new additions and changes. Verizon could do that too, but they don't.

dewdude

join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
said by matcarl:

Verizon could do that too, but they don't.

They used to. When I first got FiOS I was always getting messages on the STB about new channels or changes. Now I get nothing. Cartoon Network/Adult Swim was added in HD and I was unaware of it for a while. I'm constantly flipping through the channel guide, comparing it with a printed copy.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
Yes, they used to, so I wonder why they stopped? When I first got Fios many years ago, they actually sent postcards telling us of new channels. Now nothing at all.
In fact their PDF channel lineup on their website is dated June of last year, that's not even up to date anymore.

dewdude

join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
I keep a copy of the channel list I extracted from a popup that I have to update constantly to keep it accurate....and it's more accurate than the pop up from Verizon.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rick4769
There isn't one place that this information is communicated, and often it is actually not communicated. But there is an record of these incomplete changes in a variety of places.

Often times the channel additions are mentioned in various "electronic" ways, sometimes here: »forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at ··· tialBlog, or as mentioned above in the STB mail. For example for Cartoon Network/Adult Swim HD see »forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at ··· /495269/

For hard copy, I thought there had been notices in "Need-to-Know Information" section of the bill, under "FIOS TV Programming Changes" (at the end of the bill). So I checked for the past year or so and the bills have contained a number of notices as well. For example, my 7/28/2013 bill included removal of channel 1 FiOS1 Sports, and the change of channel 198 from to FOX Sports 2. My 8/28/2013 bill included "channel relocations for Sundance Channel, ESPN Classic, and the Golf Channel. The 9/28/2013 bill included Speed becoming Fox Sports 1, and the change of Fox Soccer to FXX. The 10/28/2013 bill included removal of 1750 saying that the programming would continue to be available on channel 114. The 11/28/2013 bill included the change of channel 160 Style to Esquire Network, and channel positions changes for TV Land and Palladia. The 12/28/2013 bill included the change of Encore Drama to Encore Black, and Encore Love to Encore Classic. The 3/28/2014 bill included some changes to local channel in my area.

Again, the notices may not be inclusive or convenient to see, but they are there. Verizon could definitely do better.

powerac

@rr.com
reply to Rick4769
Terry Denson at Verizon makes these decisions. Google his name. He likes to pickup crap channels like those dot TV networks that no one watches. Him & Byron Allen the owner of dot tv must be buddies.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to matcarl
said by matcarl:

It would be nice of them to let us know when they do add new HD's since they know people are waiting for more. They never mentioned anything about MTV2 or One America News or Pivot when we got them. That's what they should be using the STB message center for. No one would ever know unless they came here that they have a new channel. I wouldn't know either if it wasn't for this board. It's really a shame.
Cablevision always lets their subs know through their monthly bills about all new additions and changes. Verizon could do that too, but they don't.

I always get a message on my TiVos when a new channel has been added. Although sometimes I will get the message before the channel is live.

celticpride

@verizon.net
Same here as aaronwt ,using a tivo premiere and i think he has the new tivo roamio.I always get messages about new channes before they are even'' live'' on the air! and i also know when channels are deleted! Hopefully verizon wakes up and starts doing that for their new VMS boxes anyway.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to Rick4769
I don't know..but I'm really hoping they add the new ESPN SEC channel in HD come August.