spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

optoisolator

join:2013-12-02
Ocoee, FL

Can my outdoor UPS be hardwired to the breaker panel?

I had fiber installed to the premises, and the installer installed a Cyberpower CS24C12V2-E battery backup device. It's meant for exterior installations, which is great - it's sealed! The only issue I have is - the installer ran the power cord from the unit, to an outlet where he plugged it in. The breaker panel is right next to the battery backup. Does anyone know if it can be hardwired into the breaker panel per code?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
You would need to contact a licensed electrician to get a full answer to this question. However, it is feasible. You would need to add a new breaker so you could run a circuit to a specific outlet in your home (or wherever this is) that is connect to the UPS through the circuit breaker. You could also figure out which circuit the outlet (where the UPS is plugged in) is on and wire it directly to that, assuming that the circuit only controls the power in one room (which depends on how the house was wired when it was built).

TL;DR
Call an electrician.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
www.chaoticconfused.com

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to optoisolator

'Hardwired into the breaker'

Probably not. Inside with a wall mounted plug would be fine I'd think under a standard licensed electrician.
To do anymore and reconfigure the wiring in/out of the Cyberpower itself might take a technician, not a house-hold electrician.

+1 on talking to licensed people relative to your area, regulations in areas vary dramatically.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to optoisolator
It's possible (assuming it is not hard-corded -it probably is), but the amount of hassle required would make it an exercise in pointlessness. There is simply no reason to. If you must, just add a dedicated outlet on it's own circuit (if it isn't already).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to optoisolator
Just get a proper weather proof hosing for the outlet, the type meant to constant connection not the ones that just protect the outlet when out of use.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by DarkLogix:

Just get a proper weather proof hosing for the outlet, the type meant to constant connection not the ones that just protect the outlet when out of use.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Ya like that one

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to optoisolator
I used to work for an electrican. In order to wire it into a breaker panel, the right wires going into the breaker panel, and adding a breaker (if there IS room in the panel), and conduit work, and adding a weather proof termination box for the wires attaching to conduit... It's actually a bigger job than you might think, but it's the type of job electricians like to do because no crawling in attics or running wires through walls.

But you can install a weather proof outlet yourself if you know what you are doing, just need the right box, cover, outlet, and wirenuts required. Also the wire going into the box has to have a clamp/seal. The cover is what matters.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to optoisolator
If this is outside easiest would be to install another weather proof outlet next to tbe breaker panel. If there is room in the panel for another circuit.