Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

»www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ··· l.column from »yro.slashdot.org/story/14/04/25/ ··· ustomers

"The carrier will monitor not just your wireless activities but also what you do on your wired or Wi-Fi-connected computers, then share that data with marketers..."

Verizon is really doing bad things lately.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

1 recommendation

"This identifier may allow an advertiser to use information they have about your visits to websites from your desktop computer to deliver marketing messages to mobile devices on our network," it says.

What's the big deal?
Their just syncing you for your benefit
/sarcasm

said by antdude:

Verizon is really doing bad things lately.

Where you been living, under a rock?

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to antdude
I'm not sure I understand how this is something new and or shocking. The article appears, once you get down into the meat of it, to claim that Verizon Wireless will just be using "cookies" to track those who sign into the My Verizon portal, unless I'm missing something in that article. This advert tracking via cookies is nothing new. And one could, if they choose block cookies, or clean their system of it, at any time. What remains to be seen is if one is blocked from accessing the My Verizon portal if they block cookies from being created on their system/device.

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
said by bennor:

I'm not sure I understand how this is something new or shocking.

"Most cookies are benign, allowing websites to provide better service to frequent visitors.
Verizon Wireless' cookie allows a data-collection company working on Verizon's behalf — Lewis declined to name which one — to gather information on which sites you visit after you leave "My Verizon." "
--
If I can only find my keys...

no track

@mycingular.net
reply to bennor
said by bennor:

I'm not sure I understand how this is something new and or shocking. The article appears, once you get down into the meat of it, to claim that Verizon Wireless will just be using "cookies" to track those who sign into the My Verizon portal, unless I'm missing something in that article. This advert tracking via cookies is nothing new. And one could, if they choose block cookies, or clean their system of it, at any time. What remains to be seen is if one is blocked from accessing the My Verizon portal if they block cookies from being created on their system/device.

The portal requires cookies, scripting and every other privacy invading load of crap they can think of. It's getting to the point of being a requirement, if one cares about privacy, to close the browser between visiting sites.

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
reply to aussiedog
said by aussiedog:

to gather information on which sites you visit after you leave "My Verizon.

Which is nothing new, shocking or surprising. Sure it sucks that Verizon is choosing to do this but I have no doubt such tracking is done by other websites or advertisers that advertise through websites. As was indicated one can put a stop to this by not storing cookies, removing them after visiting the website, and through other means. Or one can choose not to log into the My Verizon portal if they use Verizon Wireless, or they can choose not to use Verizon Wireless at all.

I don't like or agree with such tactics and will take steps to minimize it when I have to log into My Verizon portal but the reality is they are not the only one's monetizing their customer's or web site visitors activities online. It would be nice if it was opt-in instead of op-out however, but its not.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
kudos:1
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

The carrier will monitor not just your wireless activities but also what you do on your wired or Wi-Fi-connected computers

This came up with AT&T Uverse, but AT&T has an opt-out page that I pointed out. The opt-out deals with the sharing of the information with marketeers, but not the collecting of the information itself. As far as their other partners, such as the NSA is concerned, I'm not aware of the opt-out page for them.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to no track
said by no track :

It's getting to the point of being a requirement, if one cares about privacy, to close the browser between visiting sites.

For Firefox/Pale Moon/SeaMonkey: Restless Restart 9

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox ··· restart/

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 recommendation

reply to Frodo
said by Frodo:

said by antdude:

The carrier will monitor not just your wireless activities but also what you do on your wired or Wi-Fi-connected computers

This came up with AT&T Uverse, but AT&T has an opt-out page that I pointed out. The opt-out deals with the sharing of the information with marketeers, but not the collecting of the information itself. As far as their other partners, such as the NSA is concerned, I'm not aware of the opt-out page for them.

FWIW, Verizon Wireless has an opt out page as well.

»ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw ··· y.action

The only opt-out for the three-letter agencies that I'm aware of involves the coroner.
--
Zach

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to bennor
said by bennor:

the reality is they are not the only one's monetizing their customer's or web site visitors activities online.

True as far as it goes, but other people doing it doesn't make it ok for them to do it.

Or more to the point, it doesn't make me want to sign up with Verizon, and I'd bet it has the same effect on other potential customers. So while you can close your eyes to it, they'll lose business over it. If you haven't noticed, the public has gotten a lot more sensitive to this stuff since Snowden.

bennor
Premium
New Haven, CT
said by goalieskates:

So while you can close your eyes to it, they'll lose business over it. If you haven't noticed, the public has gotten a lot more sensitive to this stuff since Snowden.

In case you missed what I said in my post (the text right before the section you quoted) I stated: "I don't like or agree with such tactics and will take steps to minimize it when I have to log into My Verizon portal". I am not closing my eyes to what they are doing at all. The reality is every day we ALL use products and services from companies who actions we disagree with. If I were to stop using products/services from every company I disagreed with I'd be a hermit living in a shack in the backwoods with; no cell phone, no internet, no food, no clothing, no credit cards, no landline, no library card, no books, no magazines, no newspaper, no car, etc.

The reality is that Verizon will loose very few customers over this. You can bet some Verizon bean counter ran the numbers before they instituted this new policy and they decided they can make more money by tracking than they will in potential lost customers. Most people, while they don't like their government spying on them, don't seem to mind when a company/corporation does so as long as they are not invasive about it.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
said by bennor:

Most people, while they don't like their government spying on them, don't seem to mind when a company/corporation does.

Or is it Company's collect/spy on behalf of Governments in order to maintain their own efforts. Nothing wrong with having a problem with the worst offenders either.
It's going to get worse...we can agree on that can't we?