Search similar:

uniqs

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

Mac mini as HTPC

I'm using a current Mac mini as a HTPC in my stereo/home theater. I've got everything figured out except two things:

1) The Mac is connected via HDMI to my preamp processor which splits the audio to my speakers and the video to my TV. When everything is powered on things work great. But sometimes when I'm only going to listen to music I want to turn OFF the TV and use the Remote app on my phone to control iTunes playback. The problem is, the Mac detects the TV turning off and then redirects the audio out of its built in speaker. Any way to change this?

2) I have Screen Sharing enabled on the mini so I can use my MacBook Pro or iPhone to remote into it. But I usually set the mini to sleep. This prevents it from being accessible. I've got the Wake on LAN stuff enabled, I just need an app or something that can wake it up. Anyone have experience with this?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

For 1: Unless the preamp you're using has an option to keep the connection alive, there's probably nothing you can do about it. The Mini has optical audio out - is that an option for your setup?

For 2: If you're comfortable with the command line you can get "wakeonlan" from macports (and probably fink) or compile it yourself:
»www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ap ··· utility/
There's a few apps I found around, too, but they're a bit old:
»software.doogul.com/wom/
»www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
For #1 turn off the control through HDMI option on the TV ...

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
Do you have an Apple router (TC or AE?) - I never had this problem back in the day when I did something similar and I seem to remember it's because Apple's routers handle the WoL automatically.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
There's no keep-alive setting on the pre-amp. There are CEC settings but I have to turn all CEC stuff off, otherwise my connected PS4 negotiates 1080i (instead of 1080p).

I could do optical audio, but the short version is that will really complicate things as those inputs are already occupied.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

1 edit

Daemon to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
Do you have any devices that will continue to play HDMI audio when the TV is off? It sounds like the "cable is connected" signals get simply passed through the receiver, so the mini reads the port as disconnected when the TV is off.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to force audio through an output a mac thinks is disconnected. In windows you can, but not in OS X.

Something like this »www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Po ··· 02673EW6 may work as it would be powered and trick the mac into thinking the HDMI output is connected. Just ignore the second output and put it inline between Mac and Receiver. You could also do toslink to HDMI, but that would involve having two HDMI inputs on the Pre-amp, and they seem to cost more than active HDMI splitters.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

There are CEC settings but I have to turn all CEC stuff off

Does the pre-amp itself have a CEC setting? In the Tv's settings is there an option to control the digital audio out, or set it as a monitor only? There is no reason why you can't get this to do what you want with the equipment you have.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
Have you looked at some of the higher-end Logitech remotes?
They also have an iOS app.

I've been doing something like this with a Mac Mini, Naim DAC, McIntosh integrated receiver, ATT DVR, and a Samsung 4K TV. Works ok.