Search similar:

uniqs

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Dect6 cordless - battery dead - off hook?

Simple question.. As a Dect6 cordless phone battery dies, does the line go off-hook the way older cordless phones used to (I'm thinking, "No")? I've got an elderly mother-in-law who's losing her mind - she forgets to charge her old cordless phone, and is ready each time to call for a phone company truck-roll every time it happens, because her landline goes "dead" from being off-the-hook.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

My Panasonic DECT 6.0 does not do go off-hook when I forget to charge it. How does she plan to call the telephone company if the cordless is not charged? Does the base unit have a wired handset? Is that what she intends to use to call the telephone company?
If there is a wired handset on the base unit is there a way to mount a sign that reminds her that if the wired handset works, then she should just charge the cordless handset?

Maybe it is time to just leave her with a wired telephone.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

She has wired phones, the problem is the additional wireless one that she keeps handy. She's had lifelong inability to deal with ANY technology requiring more than "ON", "OFF" and "Volume UP" and "Volume Down", and now she's got severely diminished short term memory, the combination of those two factors make even written instructions pointless - its just a matter of constant reminders. She DOES remember to recharge her cell phone, but we can't rely solely upon her cell, as we live 100 miles away and she's living alone.

I'm pretty sure that a Dect 6 cell phone will not go "off hook" when the batteries near fully-discharged the way the old analog wireless ones did - I was looking for confirmation. My sister-in-law will be visiting her tomorrow, and a Dect6 replacement will be purchased, I hope it works as intended.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 recommendation

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I am only familiar with DECT 6.0 Plus from Panasonic and DECT 6.0 from AT&T, so I can only say those devices do not go off-hook when fully discharged.

I am not sure about other manufacturers or models.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to KCrimson

Premium Member

to KCrimson
Do what my mother does. My parents have 4 Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones but only 3 bases (something wrong with the 4th base) and my mother always keeps one phone in her room on the bed for medical reasons. When it needs to be recharged she takes the one from her room and swaps it with one of the others phones in the house making sure she puts it on base. You would only need two phones with bases for you situation.

Your mother-in-law would hopefully see that when she took the working phone from the base that she would put the non-working phone back on that same base. This would at least insure one fully charged phone at all times.