spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mud

@embarqhsd.net

[CenturyTel] dsl modem speeds

I am having a problem with dsl speeds. CL says they are giving me 10mg download, but modem only register's 8mg.. I replaced the modem and was getting 10m, but then the modem started doing the same thing.. only reading 8m..the modems are both actiontec gt701d. Techs have been to the house and checked lines.. they read 10mg to the modem. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3
Could you post the stats from the modem?

mud

@embarqhsd.net
vpi - 8, vci-35, mode - adsl2plus, qos - ubr

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
Trained rate, SNR margin, attenuation, error counts?

mud

@embarqhsd.net
Connection Status:
Speed (down/up):8128/896kbs
ATM QoS class: ubr
Near End CRC Errors : 0/2
Far End CRC Errors : 0/0
Near End CRC(Within last 30 mins) : 0/0
Far End CRC(Within last 30 mins) : 0/0
Near End RS FEC :0/0
Far End RS FEC : 0/0
Near End FEC(Within last 30 mins) : 0/0
Far End FEC(Within last 30 mins) : 0/0
Discarded Packets(Within last 30 mins): 0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):0/11
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):27/0
dsl mode setting 6
connection status - showtime
dsl negoiated mode - g.dmt

did not see trained rate

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
Trained rate = speed.

Your problem is:

said by mud :

dsl negoiated mode - g.dmt

The max downstream rate for G.dmt (original ADSL) is 8M. That is an ADSL2+ modem, so if it is configured for multimode (which should be the default), CL has you on an ADSL port for some reason. Reset the modem (there's probably a reset button on the back, though I'm not familiar with that model) just to be sure, then call CL and mention this.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to mud
Speed (down/up):8128/896kbs

That is all you have with your setup. Stats look fine. CL could be throttling your bandwidth.

Go out to the NID and see what the MODEM shows there.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

mud

@embarqhsd.net
reply to TAZ
ok called CL.. they checked line and only showed 8mg connection.. sending tech out tomorrow..but since modem is not theirs.. he may not want to talk any further than the end of his line..but maybe I can get some info out of him.
modem is set for adsl2+ (double checked).. try to do some research on g.dmt mode.. might try to call actiontec and see what they say.

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
Did you try resetting it just to be sure? Don't set it to ADSL2+ specifically, set it to auto or multimode. It's unusual you'd have this issue, replace the modem, it'd be fine, then happen again. Kind of rules out the "tech switched the port by accident" theory (or at least it'd be a big coincidence it was switched back right when you replaced the modem).

mud

@embarqhsd.net
reply to mud
went out to NID and checked modem out there.. still 8mg download.. even reset modem and still the same.
Irish Shark...if CL is throttling the band width, they are not admitting to it...tech is coming out tomorrow..so we'll see what happens

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
reply to mud
it may be an ADSL2+ modem, but the speeds look like ADSL2.

mud

@embarqhsd.net
reply to TAZ
there is an auto setup, but it returns what you see.. there is a mmode setting, but it did not change anything.. wait and see what the tech says tomorrow

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
reply to former qwest
said by former qwest:

Original ADSL. The modem is backwards compatible with ADSL2(non-+) as well, but did anyone ever deploy that worthless standard?

former qwest

out there
AFAIK, i'm on it. 12/896, get 9.5/756

former qwest

out there
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to TAZ
you may have more info

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to TAZ
said by TAZ:

said by former qwest:

Original ADSL. The modem is backwards compatible with ADSL2(non-+) as well, but did anyone ever deploy that worthless standard?

I was on an original ADSL2 circuit from SBC in Ohio, even though they'd only sell me a 6Mbps connection on it (the modem clearly stated i'd be able to do the full 12/1), and the CenturyLink account i have (formally Sprint/Embarq in Ohio) is on an ADSL2 line as well.

For some reason they did deploy it.

Now back to the OP. Yes like TAZ said, you're on G.DMT. G.DMT only will do a max of 8Mbps on the download, it's most likely a profile error on the DSLAM. The old ADSL2/ADSL2+ ports are capable of training original ADSL1 if told to do so in the computer as well, it has a longer range than ADSL2 for people further out, but looking at your stats you should not need it.

The tech will most likely just reset your profile on the line and get you back on ADSL2+

mud

@71.2.87.x
ok, CL said they fixed from their end..and the tech did not come out..I called and talked to the tech support line..he looked at it and said they are pushing the 10m that I am supposed to have.. I asked about the modem only reading the 8mg and he said he talked to the engineers and they said my modem was only a adsl modem.. not adsl2+ and that was the reason I was only getting the 8m.. I didn't have time to pursue it further

so here is the question.. is it possible for a modem to get "stuck" in a mode? I have 2 of the actiontec gt701d's (one is only a couple of months old), both read the same as the stats I provided earlier. the new one clocked in at the 10meg for about 2 months, then locked back into the 8m...any suggestions?
I do have a new modem from TP-link waiting to be hooked up..just have to get past finals (sigh)

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
said by mud :

ok, CL said they fixed from their end..and the tech did not come out..I called and talked to the tech support line..he looked at it and said they are pushing the 10m that I am supposed to have.. I asked about the modem only reading the 8mg and he said he talked to the engineers and they said my modem was only a adsl modem.. not adsl2+ and that was the reason I was only getting the 8m.. I didn't have time to pursue it further

According to Actiontec:
quote:
And best of all, the GT701D features a robust hardware architecture and supports full rate ADSL2/2+ speeds, so you don't have to sacrifice performance to go green.
It looks like this model isn't officially supported, only the GT701. The GT701 also is not officially validated by CL for ADSL2+ but Actiontec claims it too supports ADSL2+. This is a similar situation with the ZyXEL Q100 which is only validated for VDSL2 but supports ADSL2+ (and older standards) just fine.

Call them back, call their bluff, point out that you've isolated your own equipment.

cnicely
Premium
join:2014-04-28
Severn, NC
just to clarifiy..define "isolated your own equipment"
Thanks

TAZ

Tucson, AZ
He's determined that the modem is (most likely, at least) not the problem by trying more than one. I mean, it's technically possible to have two modems both go bad in the same way, but the more you try the lower the chance of that is. And "doesn't train for ADSL2+, only ADSL" isn't a failure mode I've heard of before.

cnicely
Premium
join:2014-04-28
Severn, NC
reply to mud
Thanks.. I was thinking pretty much the same way..but my head was filled with accounting (finals).. I do have a new one sitting here waiting to be hooked up and it will probably work like the last one did.. but for how long? If it is a noise issue, I'm wondering if I need to update the wiring in the house.. it is old and runs everywhere, but all the techs that have come out say it is fine...so we shall see..I'll let you guys know when I find something out or solve the problem.

Thanks again for all the help