Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..

Best option for cell phone service in Italy (Sicily)

My mother and father are going to Sicily for 17 days beginning this Monday. I just recently signed them up for T-Mobile but should have checked here to see if there are better alternatives for them while they're over there. My mom has an iPhone 5 which is factory unlocked. I realized she could have purchased a SIM card and service when she gets there, but she was a bit nervous about what to get.

Any suggestions?

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
check with TMO and see if they have a good overseas rate, the phone already has a SIM card. I use AT&T, when i go overseas they have a monthly rate (about $2.98) that keeps me from paying $1.29 a minute for calls.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
Thanks for the reply.

I phrased my first post a little weird. We are currently with AT&T but I read about the unlimited international data and texting so I signed up my parents for their $50 plan with 1 GB of LTE data. Where they are going will likely be EDGE everywhere so the data won't be an issue. Phone calls are $0.20 a min to everywhere (to USA and to others in Italy). I also set them up with Skype to use for phone calls when they are someplace with WiFi.

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
nice, my at&t calls were .29. sounds like you set them up right!

Yippz
Premium
join:2005-05-04
Fort Walton Beach, FL
reply to gigahurtz
Since you mention her phone is unlocked, here a list of all the GSM services she can use in Italy

> »maps.mobileworldlive.com ··· me=Italy

Click on the service for a link to their website. Calls back to the U.S. can be as low as a couple of pennies per minute and SIM cards can be found at the airport in vending machines and at local markets. She would also have a local number while she's there so anyone local can call her directly as well. This way they avoid international roaming with limited coverage and ridiculous per-minute rates with sticker shock when they arrive home.
--
Yippz.com - Unlocked GSM Multi-SIM Smartphones and Android Mobile Phones

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

unlimited international data and texting so I signed up my parents for their $50 plan with 1 GB of LTE data.

How is it unlimited and 1 Gb at the same time?
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to gigahurtz
T-Mobile offers WiFi calling. Check if their phone works with WiFi and if so they can use it anywhere there is WiFi without incurring in roaming or international calling charges when they call back home in the US. To assure it only gets WiFi in that situation the cellular network must be disabled in the phone.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to gjrhine
said by gjrhine:

said by gigahurtz:

unlimited international data and texting so I signed up my parents for their $50 plan with 1 GB of LTE data.

How is it unlimited and 1 Gb at the same time?

1GB high speed data when in the US, unlimited low speed data after that.
Unlimited low speed data when outside the US.

Low speed data is something like 0.12 Mbps, or less.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to printscreen
Unfortunately, iPhones are not compatible with wireless calling feature on T-Mobile.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
said by gigahurtz:

Unfortunately, iPhones are not compatible with wireless calling feature on T-Mobile.

On both Android and iOS there is the free Vonage app that gives you free US calling when on wifi.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to gigahurtz
Here's what I do with ATT which I'm sure can carry on to other carriers: add your international plans then cancel them when you're back to USA. ATT sets it so it's a "permanent" fee if you don't remove it. I'm out of the country right now and when I called ATT this morning, they actually asked when I'll be back and said it will prorate what I use. This must be new because like I said, these were always semi permanent packages unless cancelled.