share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

System backups: How do they work?

My ISP provides Norton 360, which keeps insisting on running a backup. I have no experience making and restoring from a backup as I've always done fresh installs. How does the norton backup work, if I can't boot, how do I used the norton backup to restore? Is the backup self booting?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
The online cloud backup is not designed to back up operating systems for immediate use. It is mainly for backing up data files. The usable backup of operating system or programs is to be to a CD, DVD, Flash Drive, or portable hard drive. The best way is usually to backup to CD or DVDs for computers with CD or DVD drives. The computers usually have a built in boot from CD or DVD capability. Put the disk in and make a quick the selection form the brief start up messages on the screen.

You can backup the operating system and programs to the cloud storage, but you would have to download them to a disk anyway to use them to attempt to repair a computer. I would think saving some of the CDs or DVDs in a small fire and water proof safe designed for DVD storage would be a good idea also. »www.sentrysafe.com/Products/469/···of_chest.

That way you would have a cloud backup and a hard
copy backup of operating systems and programs.

»us.norton.com/360/

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
Thank you, David. It would have been nice for Symantec to explain that this is not a whole install backup. There should be better terminology. Honestly, sometimes I get disappointed in software makers, they don't know how to communicate.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
»Software Forum Member Choice »Preferred Backup & Imaging Programs - 2011 Member Choice
I used to use Acronis but found it became to bulky with the odd image corruption errors. Switched to Macrium Reflect and have never looked back. I use it conjunction with the default native Windows System Image backup found in Windows 7.
»windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind···indows-7
--
"Graffiti Wall" Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I use a server for backups across my network. Sometimes I'll clone a drive but I've been meaning to do some disc based backups too.

How one would restore a backup from the server is fairly simple. Typically after you have corrected the problem with the system (replace HDD / SSD for example) you would insert a boot restore disc which connects you to the server. Then you select the backup you want to restore from the list of automatic backups by date and that's it.

When it works it works great but it's always a good idea to have another plan if things go south with your first backup / restore method,....