uniqs
share rss forum feed

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

[Tech] 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - A/C Clutch Replacement

Hello,

The bearing on my A/C Compressor failed... How much would it (Roughly) cost to get it done?

Thanks,

Zacron
--
"If you want to flame, complain or just be a nuisance to me please send an email to zacron@dslr.net"

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Often the clutch bearing fails because the compressor has seized, and the clutch was slipping.

Have you confirmed that this is not the case?
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Cho Baka:

Often the clutch bearing fails because the compressor has seized, and the clutch was slipping.

The clutch bearing fails more often as it turns all the time the engine is running while the compressor bearing only turns when the AC clutch is energized. That can be a 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 difference in running/turning time between the always running/turning clutch bearing and the only running/turning when AC is in use compressor bearing(s). Since the clutch bearing is always running/turning when the engine is operating, it tends to fail due to greater running/turning times.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

zacron
Premium
canada
Hello,

I've had a mechanic look at it (before it failed, was scheduled to be replaced this weekend, however it is not safe to drive now that the belts integrity has been compromised) and he said it was the "Clutch pack" that needed to be replaced.

He was unable to estimate (he's now a real estate agent and still has all his valid permits from the ontario government).

I'm just wondering how many man hours are required and ROUGHLY how much that part is worth.

Thank you,

Z
--
"If you want to flame, complain or just be a nuisance to me please send an email to zacron@dslr.net"

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to zacron

About 80-125 USC for the clutch kit, roughly 60-90 minutes labor time, so that would vary on the shop labor rate per hour.

zacron
Premium
canada
Click for full size
This is a pic of the affected device...

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to zacron
A quick search shows the OE Motorcraft part (YBR-105-RM) retails @ $170 USD, while aftermarket prices range from $40-$90 on RockAuto, and $150-$180 for auto parts store parts.

As far as labor, Mitchell shows .9 hours, so you're looking at maybe $300 USD in total for a high labor rate and the most expensive clutch.

skipon11
Premium
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to zacron
A car of that age,if it were me,I would do away with the A/C,and just keep the windows down.

zacron
Premium
canada
I would the issue is the whole car is run off one belt and there is no way to avoid it.

skipon11
Premium
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA
I think you can bypass it using a shorter belt.

zacron
Premium
canada
What size belt? Google doesn't present anything of use...

Z

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
Instead of getting a shorter belt, just delete the a/c compressor all together. »www.1aauto.com/1A/ac-compressor-···EPM00025

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

The clutch bearing fails more often as it turns all the time the engine is running while the compressor bearing only turns when the AC clutch is energized. That can be a 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 difference in running/turning time between the always running/turning clutch bearing and the only running/turning when AC is in use compressor bearing(s). Since the clutch bearing is always running/turning when the engine is operating, it tends to fail due to greater running/turning times.

You missed the point completely.
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Cho Baka:

said by Doctor Olds:

The clutch bearing fails more often as it turns all the time the engine is running while the compressor bearing only turns when the AC clutch is energized.

You missed the point completely.

Funny since the OP stated later that the compressor only needs the clutch and its idler bearing replaced as the compressor is not locked up or seized from bearing failure.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
You ignored the point.
I stand corrected.
--

zacron
Premium
canada
reply to zacron
Alright, I finally have come back from my trip and the mechanic has dropped off my car and he completely deleted the A/C as the Compressor was making alot of noise and was about to die anyway...

Sooo, installed a bypass pulley and repaired my power windows

Personally, going at 120km/h on the Highway was more than perfect for "A/C" lol.

Z
--