spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor

[Connectivity] Router Lockdown

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to change my router to one that I installed the Tomato firmware on it. I noticed that I cannot get an IP (WAN DHCP keeps saying renewing).

My question is once I start using a particular router with Comcast, should there be any issues with switching it with another one?

When I looked up the error to see if I could find some things to try, they mentioned that it's possible the MAC address of the router was locked down.

Thanks

cheeseman
@comcast.net

cheeseman

Anon

[Connectivity] Re: Router Lockdown

Tomato firmware doesn't have DHCP enabled by default. You need to manually assign an IP to your computer on the same subnet the router uses (probably 192.168.1.x) and then connect to it and enable DHCP.

Comcast doesn't care what's on the consumer side of your cable modem.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I believe the OP is saying he can't get a WAN IP.
av9116
join:2001-12-17
San Francisco, CA

av9116 to TheMayor

to TheMayor
Did you set up "spoof MAC address" on the router?
TheMayor

1 edit

TheMayor

No I didn't. I just unplugged the original one & plugged in the replacement.

Graysonf is correct, I'm not getting the WAN IP address

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I suggest power cycling bot the router and modem if you haven't done so already.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to TheMayor

MVM

to TheMayor
said by TheMayor:

No I didn't. I just unplugged the original one & plugged in the replacement.

Graysonf is correct, I'm not getting the WAN IP address

Though not a cable user myself, I have helped two Comcast, and one Charter user with their cable modems and routers. As I recall, when changing the device attached to the cable modem Ethernet port, I had to reset, or power cycle the modem; and if it is a telephony modem, that includes disconnecting the battery.
TheMayor

TheMayor

Tried the power down the modem & router & no luck.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by TheMayor:

Tried the power down the modem & router & no luck.

Then my guess would be that when you loaded the Tomato firmware, you borked the router. Did you test that router on the Comcast connection before you loaded the Tomato firmware? If possible, reinstall the factory firmware and do a factory reset on the router to see if that allows the router to get a WAN IP address (and don't forget to power cycle/reset the modem since the factory default WAN MAC address might not be the same as the default Tomato WAN MAC address -- I have noticed that some non-vendor firmware does not use the WAN hardware MAC address).