ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
If I use level 3 dns 4223.. I lose IPv6. Using TWC dns servers gives IPv6.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by ARGONAUT:

Interesting. That shouldnt have anything to do with it though, at least i dont think.

catchingup
@135.23.225.x

catchingup to ARGONAUT

Anon

to ARGONAUT
said by ARGONAUT:

There is something else going on. v6 (as in querying AAAA records) works fine with Level 3's DNS servers.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

openDNS IPv4 and IPv6 servers did the trick for me. Everything is IPvHappy now.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
I'm confused. If I may ask, how does BGP facilitate 6to4 tunneling? Is this something you are advertising?

A key thing will be is whether your router supports prefix delegation. Barring that, it would have to serve as both a DHCPv6 relay and a NDP proxy.
rchandra

rchandra to sonarman

Premium Member

to sonarman
I have to believe, at bare minimum, direct editing of the registry would not be necessary, and that the right netsh commands or a GUI option somewhere would allow one to edit the registry indirectly. Then again, that's just a guess.
rchandra

1 recommendation

rchandra to ARGONAUT

Premium Member

to ARGONAUT
The status page on the Motorola/Arris SURFboard series of modems show you the addressing used for management (e.g., address that the modem itself obtains during initialization, TFTP of the parameters file, etc.,...all the "behind the scenes" stuff which doesn't affect your LAN or Internet access per se). It will still bridge well-formed networking frames between the CMTS and your network, which would include IPv6 frames.
rchandra

1 recommendation

rchandra to ARGONAUT

Premium Member

to ARGONAUT
Negative. DNS has nothing to do with IPv6 connectivity. DNS is only responsible for translating names into other data such as IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses. It would be highly illogical for networking software (such as that found in CMTSes and routers) to behave differently depending on where DNS queries are made. Mind, it's not impossible, just totally implausible.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
New Albany, IN

1 edit

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

Click for full size
It looks like the firmware for my WRT1900AC isn't updating something. I switched back to the RT-N66U.

Update: TWC is now having IPv6 problems.
IPv6 was fully working but not now.

mannibis
@72.226.21.x

mannibis

Anon

When my computer is directly connected to the modem (arris tg862) i'm able to get an ipv6 address, but not when my linksys ea6900 is connected.

level 2 support told me that the ipv6 isn't fully implemented yet and the ipv6 address shows up but isnt really doing anything...

something is going on with ipv6 and twc and tech support wasn't able to give me any answers.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
Click for full size
This is what my IP config looks like on RoadRunner. And I cannot reach any IPv6 only addresses. Laptop directly connected to t
Click for full size
This is what my IP config looks like tethering to an S4 via Verizon. IPv6 only addresses work.
I'd second that IPv6 isn't doing anything.

m0n0wall refuses to grab an IPv6 address. So, I hooked my laptop up directly to the modem (6141) and while it did get an IPv6 address, I couldn't go anywhere.

UNLIKE what happens when I tether to my S4 from Verizon.

Also, I could not reach any IPv6 only addresses while directly connected to the modem. Known addresses that do work when I'm tethered to Verizon.

So, while we may have an address, it isn't doing anything - yet.
getbent
join:2014-01-30
Raleigh, NC

getbent

This mirrors what I see in Raleigh. I will get issued an IPv6 address and prefix delegation if requested, but no router advertisements are provided for a default route.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

rchandra to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
FWIW, native IPv6 has been working OK in the Buffalo, NY area for a couple of months now.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
I have noticed the following:

When I use the native UBEE gateway, IPv6 works. All tests come back green, and I can e.g. ping ipv6.google.com from my PC.

I recently put in my own router, a ASUS RT-N66U. It's a nice router, and it supports IPv6. I configured it to do passthrough, and I am using the new router's wireless and dhcp server. The wireless on the UBEE modem has been disabled, as well as DHCP.

I upgraded it to the latest firmware a few days back. However, IPv6 does not work. If I configure it to "native" it does seem to get an IP address and it lists and IPv6 address both in the router as well on my workstation, but i get no communication over IPv6.

This leads to two possibilities:

1) The UBEE gateway does not pass through IPv6 properly.
2) The ASUS router does not handle IPv6 properly.

Which of the two is true, I don't know..... but the TWC folks will likely blame the ASUS because it works with it connected to their modem, and I am sure the ASUS folks will say the UBEE modem isn't passing it through properly

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

It all depends on what ASUS means by "native." My idea of why it may have broken is that you are getting an address OK, but NDP is not being handled properly. The router either needs to pass through NDP or act as a proxy for it. The same probably applies to the UBEE, if it is also a router. If the UBEE is already obtaining a prefix, and all other devices on your side are set to obtain addresses via DHCPv6, I'm not sure it'll work in this configuration.

What you most likely want to do is seek to put the UBEE into bridging mode, thus totally eliminating its routing functions. That job will be taken over by your ASUS. Whether you can do this yourself or you have to call tech support, I don't know, I've never had to do it. I seem to remember this is something which can only be done from the ISP side, thus requiring a call.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

maartena

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

What you most likely want to do is seek to put the UBEE into bridging mode, thus totally eliminating its routing functions. That job will be taken over by your ASUS. Whether you can do this yourself or you have to call tech support, I don't know, I've never had to do it. I seem to remember this is something which can only be done from the ISP side, thus requiring a call.

I found these instructions:

»acupojo.com/projects/ube ··· dge-mode

My modem is now in "bridge mode". I am now going to see if I can get the router to talk IPv6

EDIT:

No go in "native" mode, but found that I can do it manually with this information:

3. The steps of setting IPv6 IP and DSN are as following:
(1) Please fill information in “IPv6 Prefix”, “Prefix Length” and “IPv6 Gateway” of item—“IPv6 IP Setting” from ISP.
(2) Please fill information in “IPv6 DNS Server” of “IPv6 DNS Setting” from ISP.
(3) Please click button—“Apply” and wait to update setting completely.

So, I am going to need TWC's IPv6 Prefix, Prefix Lenght, and IPv6 Gateway, and the IPv6 DNS servers from TWC.

Any idea where I can find those?

EDIT2:

After doing some research, I think the "native" setting does work, I was just not familiar with the the addressing.

I have an address in my router of: 2605:e000:1807:c02f:beee:7bff:fef4:XXXX - i masked out the last 4 digits for privacy purposes, but if I put the entire address in a IPv6 Whois site, the following comes up:

IP address 2605:e000:1807:c02f:beee:7bff:fef4:XXXX
Description Time Warner Cable Internet LLC
Location United States (US) flag
Reverse DNS (PTR record) not available
DNS server (NS record) not available
ASN number 20001
ASN name (ISP) Time Warner Cable Internet LLC

So, my ROUTER has been assigned a TWC IPv6 address, and with that, I am pretty sure TWC's portion is working right, but my router is just not handling it properly, so I need to figure out how to fix that. I may have to wait for an update from ASUS.

That said, ipv6 test sites still show that I don't have any IPv6 address, and one would think that if the router has the address above assigned, it should say that I have..... UNLESS of course, the test goes all the way to my PC, and there simply is no IPv6 between my router, and my PC.

More investigation warranted, but input welcome. Personally, at this stage I think it is the ASUS router, and TWC's IPv6 is working just fine.

EDIT3:

I spoke too soon, my router now has lost its IPv6 address. It still could be TWC, or it is a misconfiguration on my side. Not sure. Anyways, input welcome
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

1 recommendation

mikev

Premium Member

UBEE Router should be in Bridge mode, definitely. That way it simply acts as a modem, just passing everything through to your Asus router.

The IPv6 setting on the Asus should be Native with DHCP-PD (PD=Prefix Delegation). What SHOULD happen is that it will receive both an IPv6 WAN address, as well as a prefix that it will use to assign to devices on your LAN that use IPv6.

Also make sure that your router is set to send IPv6 router advertisements, so any IPv6 devices on your network are aware that your router is capable of IPv6. The Router Advertisement setting might be under the Advanced settings (I use a different firmware on my Asus router, so can't say exactly where the setting might be for you).

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena

Premium Member

said by mikev:

UBEE Router should be in Bridge mode, definitely. That way it simply acts as a modem, just passing everything through to your Asus router.

The IPv6 setting on the Asus should be Native with DHCP-PD (PD=Prefix Delegation). What SHOULD happen is that it will receive both an IPv6 WAN address, as well as a prefix that it will use to assign to devices on your LAN that use IPv6.

Also make sure that your router is set to send IPv6 router advertisements, so any IPv6 devices on your network are aware that your router is capable of IPv6. The Router Advertisement setting might be under the Advanced settings (I use a different firmware on my Asus router, so can't say exactly where the setting might be for you).

All the settings above are correct.

Sometimes I just have to be less stubborn, and actually just reboot my computer. A full reboot, and everything tests as it should be, including full IPv6 access!

End conclusion:

Yes, your modem MUST be in bridge mode, not just in "passthrough" mode. You must specifically set it to BRIDGE mode.

Your router must be set to native, DHCP-PD, and have the router set to advertise.

It works. You won't be able to get IPv6 to work in "passthrough" mode however, that just passes through IPv4 traffic, not IPv6.

Done, dusted, fixed. Thanks everyone for suggestions and help.

Icing on the cake:

C:\>ping ipv6.google.com

Pinging ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000: time=43ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000: time=46ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000: time=44ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000: time=44ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400a:805::1000:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 44ms

mannibis
@96.246.250.x

mannibis

Anon

I'm using an Arris TG862 and the only "Bridge" option I see is under NAT mode. It is set to Bridged. However, the Modem's built in DHCP server does not turn off automatically (as I would assume, since it's just acting as a modem). I can access the Modem/Gateway's config page from both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.0.1

Either way, my router cannot obtain an IPv6 address and I am wondering if it is because of my modem/gateway's configuration. Should I be doing something else rather than "NAT: Bridged" on my modem?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

Not that this'll help you get that working, but...

Just because a router is in bridge(d) mode doesn't preclude it from listening for or responding to traffic on its own. Think of it as just another computer/device on your LAN or WAN at that point. So yes, you may need to go to some other configuration spot and disable the DHCP server. For semi-obvious reasons, you shouldn't be affecting anything else (hint, wouldn't that be something if you could control other customers' addresses by responding to their DHCPDISCOVER or DHCPv6SOLICIT requests? )

mannibis
@96.246.250.x

mannibis

Anon

Well...since Maxx is now in my area I'm going to have to upgrade (again) to the new Arris 16x4 modem/gateway.

Hopefully my IPv6 issues will be fixed, though I'm not too optimistic...I have a feeling my Linksys EA6900 isn't doing something right with native IPv6 (there are no options to specify DHCP-PD or anything at all really). I may have to go with a more technically advanced router with wireless AC like the Asus RT-68U

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

If you can, since you have your own router, my advice would be don't bother w/ a gateway and get just a modem. That way, there is one less thing to worry about.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

If you can, since you have your own router, my advice would be don't bother w/ a gateway and get just a modem. That way, there is one less thing to worry about.

Not everyone can. If you have home phone service, you are bound to the gateway they provide for you.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

rchandra

Premium Member

yeah, that's what I feared, and why I qualified that. Shucks.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

yeah, that's what I feared, and why I qualified that. Shucks.

I have home phone service as well, and put the UBEE gateway into bridge mode, so yours should be able to go into bridge mode as well.

Now, for the UBEE gateway, I needed to follow special instructions and a DIFFERENT login to get to the hidden options to turn it into Bridge mode. (See one of my earlier posts for the link). - There is a possibility your device also needs similar instructions, and if no one has posted them online, you may have to call TWC to get the device into bridge mode.

zaxcom
join:2008-12-26
Charlotte, NC

zaxcom to ericn32

to ericn32
I seem to have lost IPv6 in Charlotte over night.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to ericn32

Premium Member

to ericn32
I have kept my IPv6 up since the day I struggled getting it up and running. I am finding that many routers claim IPv6 support, but there may still be some bugs to iron out. From what I could see here, it would seem that TWC is doing IPv6 right, and that I needed to put my modem into Bridge Mode to be able to use the IPv6 features of my router. My router did seem to huff and puff for a while to get IPv6 working, but after a reboot of my computer, router, and modem, all is working perfect.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to zaxcom

Premium Member

to zaxcom
said by zaxcom:

I seem to have lost IPv6 in Charlotte over night.

It became fully operational for me sometime Saturday. Still working this morning. Though, the IPv6 tester is warning that my browser is blocking the test URL's - www.v6.facebook.com loads.

Once I got m0n0wall configured correctly, I did not have to reboot any of my devices. They just joined the party on their own.

zaxcom
join:2008-12-26
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

zaxcom

Support told me its still "experimental" and it may not always be in use. No IPv6 today.