Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Electrical] USB charger outlet failed

I went to charge my phone today and it wouldn't charge. I tried another phone using another cable it wouldn't charge. The outlet is a hardwired USB charger outlet similar to this.

It's on the same circuit as the refrigerator. I'm wondering if the surges from the refrigerator starting might have fried it.

Anyways I'll go down to the Depot later today and pick up a regular outlet to put in its place. I'm not going to spend $20 on another outlet if it's going to get fried again. I have one in my bedroom that I've had twice as long and it's working fine but it's on a regular household circuit.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
Just to double check before you replace it have you plugged something in to the regular outlet to see of it has power?

If it has failed see if it is still under warranty, could just have gotten a bad unit.

I've never understood the excitement over USB outlets but perhaps I'm just a Luddite.
In my home office have a USB cable connected to a server and my wife keeps her charger plugged in on the counter top in a corner.

/tom

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

It does have power as the regular outlet works.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

.....perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

Still better than me, I didn't even know they made dedicated USB wall outlets like this.

Cowboy, I'd do the same as you, replace it with a regular outlet. As I am sure you are aware they make USB adapters that you plug into any outlet anywhere in your house as needed. I'd take that portability convenience over the limited convenience of a USB outlet.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

I've never understood the excitement over USB outlets but perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

Anyone who visited your website will disagree.

I have same concern about USB wall outlets. They look cooler but a hassle to replace if the USB ports get fried for any reason.

There are surge protected AC outlets with USB ports from Belkin, Energizer, Duracell and other brands.

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
I've seen those and their price in the store. Intrigued me for all of 2 seconds but I already have a hand full of wall wart USB chargers and figure those outlet style ones are the cheapest of cheap construction and knock off of knock off Chinese components to provide the 5 volt output. I figured at best it'd just have a short life, fry whatever device was plugged into or catch the wall on fire when it failed.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to IowaCowboy
How old is it? Under warranty? What brand?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
About 4 months, it's a Leviton.

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19
It's under warranty then. May as well spend the $5 to ship it back and get a replacement assuming you kept the receipt.

quote:
LIMITED 5 YEAR WARRANTY AND EXCLUSIONS
Leviton warrants to the original consumer purchaser and not for the benefit of anyone else that this product at the time of its sale by Leviton is free of defects in materials and workmanship under normal and proper use for five years from the purchase date. Leviton’s only obligation is to correct such defects by repair or replacement, at its option, if within such five year period the product is returned prepaid, with proof of purchase date, and a description of the problem to Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc., Att: Quality Assurance Department, 201 North Service Road, Melville, N.Y. 11747. This warranty excludes and there is disclaimed liability for labor for removal of this product or reinstallation. This warranty is void if this product is installed improperly or in an improper environment, overloaded, misused, opened, abused, or altered in any manner, or is not used under normal operating conditions or not in accordance with any labels or instructions. There are no other or implied warranties of any kind, including merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, but if any implied warranty is required by the applicable jurisdiction, the duration of any such implied warranty, including merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, is limited to five years. Leviton is not liable for incidental, indirect, special, or consequential damages, including without limitation, damage to, or loss of use of, any equipment, lost sales or profits or delay or failure to perform this warranty obligation. The remedies provided herein are the exclusive remedies under this warranty, whether based on contract, tort or otherwise.

JoeSixpack

@comcast.net
reply to IowaCowboy
I've never had much luck with stuff purchased at the McHome stores.

Maybe try a Hubbell?

»smile.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiring-···0C5NLU5E

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to IowaCowboy
I expect these type of things to become pretty much standard equipment in new homes before too long, if they aren't already. I also expect - giving the growth of LED lighting - that low-voltage, DC lighting circuits will become standard equipment. This would simply such lighting considerably, leading to further cost reductions. General low-voltage, DC outlets might also become quite common, given that much of our electronic equipment also runs on such voltage; this would eliminate a lot of wall warts and other power adapters and such.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by scross:

I expect these type of things to become pretty much standard equipment in new homes before too long, if they aren't already. I also expect - giving the growth of LED lighting - that low-voltage, DC lighting circuits will become standard equipment. This would simply such lighting considerably, leading to further cost reductions. General low-voltage, DC outlets might also become quite common, given that much of our electronic equipment also runs on such voltage; this would eliminate a lot of wall warts and other power adapters and such.

I think you may be right about the charging ports but I don't think you'll see low-voltage DC lighting circuits. What everybody wants for lighting is so varied that restricting them to one type of system wouldn't fly in most cases. There isn't a significant amount of the lighting fixtures available that operate on low-voltage DC.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to JoeSixpack
Buying Hubbell will get your girl to get a new bubba KA-CHING!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I don't think you'll see low-voltage DC lighting circuits.

Interesting, I agree.

Having said that I'm redoing our outdoor floodlights and motion sensors to operate from 12V DC so I don't have to run mains cable outside and to our shed.

/tom

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The outlet is a hardwired USB charger outlet similar to this.

I saw two USB outlet adapters at Lowes that will probably meet your needs and just plug in. They both provide two USB charging ports. Amazon has several plug in adapters if you search on RCA WP2UWR and look for similar items.

»www.lowes.com/pd_362505-93009-36···cetInfo=

or this:

»www.lowes.com/pd_369050-63374-WP···cetInfo=

I saw another similar device in a store has the same configuration as the Leviton wire in outlet but plugs in like a surge protector and can be moved it has two 2.1 Amp USB charging ports but I have not been able to find it on line.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

It's on the same circuit as the refrigerator. I'm wondering if the surges from the refrigerator starting might have fried it.

It's not helping it any...

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to IowaCowboy
I'm personally not a big fan of these USB receptacles and would rather just use plug-in chargers.

Easier and usually cheaper to replace a plug-in charger when it fails, than a whole wall receptacle. Also you're losing one AC receptacle instead of having the usual two available.

Being always-on (vs a plug-in charger which can be unplugged when not in use), the chances of it failing are increased.

The added convenience and aesthetics are just not worth it, IMHO.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
I agree. We have a handful of LED night-lights that are plugged into various outlets throughout the house. Each has a single USB port. If I plug in my Samsung Note3, it charges just as fast as from the OEM charger.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
The most likely culprit is that it's probably lowest-bidder Chinese made. So much stuff like this is hanging by a thread already, even in ideal conditions, it doesn't take a lot, or even anything sometimes, for them to fail.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
Done.

I'm saving the removed receptacle, if I find the receipt I'm going to claim a warranty replacement.

The intent of my post is to pinpoint the failure.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The outlet is a hardwired USB charger outlet similar to this.

I do not think it is prudent to wire in any USB charger in view of the fact that USB 2.0 is being replaced with USB 3.0 which under the current standard must supply 4.5 Watts rather than USB's 2.0's 2.5 Watts. According to the USB Organization their objective is to be able to eventually deliver 100 Watts to a USB powered device as seen here:

»www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/

You might also want to review the pin out in the Wiki on USB 3.0 here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Edit: You might want to review the Fire Wire Specification IEEE 1394 here for your amusement:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394

The most interesting feature of IEEE 1394 is that the specification calls for the capability of delivering 45 Watts of power to connected devices. IEEE 1394 was always full duplex as is USB 3.0 rather than the half duplex USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0. I guess the USB Organization is reinventing the wheel.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I think you may be right about the charging ports but I don't think you'll see low-voltage DC lighting circuits. What everybody wants for lighting is so varied that restricting them to one type of system wouldn't fly in most cases. There isn't a significant amount of the lighting fixtures available that operate on low-voltage DC.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean INSTEAD OF existing wiring, but rather IN ADDITION TO - in the sense that it's easy enough to run some additional low-voltage DC wiring at the same time you're putting in everything else. Then you would have the flexibility to do whatever you wanted to here. As far as something like that just never happening, emerging standards, government regulations, and basic economics might eventually lead the situation in the other direction. Expansion of solar installations might also play a role here, since these provide DC by default and have to be converted to AC otherwise, which is expensive (for the conversion equipment) and wasteful.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I do not think it is prudent to wire in any USB charger in view of the fact that USB 2.0 is being replaced with USB 3.0 which under the current standard must supply 4.5 Watts rather than USB's 2.0's 2.5 Watts.

iPads can pull up to 10 watts. That's why the port shows it's rated at 2.1A.

ReturnsDpt

@107.144.228.x
reply to IowaCowboy
Even if you can't find the receipt, if you email them they'll likely ship you a new one if you send the old one back. They've replaced dimmers for me before when I did not have the receipt.

If a company wont replace something because I don't have the receipt, If the item is under warranty and still sold I just go buy one at the store and take it back (as long as there is no restocking fee), then use the returned items receipt to get a replacement. It's complete bull requiring a receipt when they know good and well when something is made (and thus can estimate the warranty period) based on the serial numbers/lot numbers. They just use the receipts as a way to sell Chinese crap and know that it's impossible to keep hundreds of receipts a year or more and hope you give up.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

Ya I meant sure if tis 2.1A 5v then for now it could power any USB powered device but who's to say there won't be an iSlab that needs 3A

I like my USB chargers not hardwired

found a nice single outlet USB + Surge protector not long ago but later noticed its only 1A and my nexus 7 charger is 2A
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

said by Mr Matt:

I do not think it is prudent to wire in any USB charger in view of the fact that USB 2.0 is being replaced with USB 3.0 which under the current standard must supply 4.5 Watts rather than USB's 2.0's 2.5 Watts.

iPads can pull up to 10 watts. That's why the port shows it's rated at 2.1A.

Ya charging only ports like found on wall warts aren't limited tot eh 500ma of the USB 2.0 spec or the 900ma of USB 3.0

the iPad takes 2.1A to properly charge and most phone chargers are now 1A

so what's the point in mentioning the current rating in the USB spec when its not relevant to charging adapters?
--
semper idem

ilikeanon

@67.173.166.x
reply to IowaCowboy
I always bought this kind: »fastmac.com/usocket.php
and none have failed yet, I use them to power RasPi as well as USB lights and charge phones. Note these are 2.4A at 5V and require a deep box, as well as a little extra room on the side.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by ilikeanon :

I always bought this kind: »fastmac.com/usocket.php
and none have failed yet, I use them to power RasPi as well as USB lights and charge phones. Note these are 2.4A at 5V and require a deep box, as well as a little extra room on the side.

What you gona do when the iTable comes out?
--
semper idem

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
reply to DarkLogix
Also I bet the port can only deliver 2.1 amps to iCrap devices, I bet an android would be limited to .5 amps.

iCrap and Androids use 2 different and incompatible ways to determine if its a charging only port or a data port on a computer.

Androids look for shorted data wires and if they are it will charge at the max the charger can provide.

iCraps look for certain voltage levels on the data pins to determine not only if its a charger or computer but how much power the charger can provide.
--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Napsterbater:

Also I bet the port can only deliver 2.1 amps to iCrap devices, I bet an android would be limited to .5 amps.

LOL a charger isn't that smart

all it is, is converting AC to DC and outputting a regulated 5v with the capacity to push upto 2.1A if the load is great enough
all the iCrap do is look for the 3.3v on the data pins and it'll start charging

so while a charger might not charge a iCrap it will always charge an android and the full 2.1a will be available to the charged device. (My Nexus 7 came with a 2.1a charger.)
--
semper idem