Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [Electrical] USB charger outlet failed

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 came with a 2.1 amp charger. It also charges the wifey's Nook Reader quickly.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

I've never understood the excitement over USB outlets but perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

I think it's nothing more than a "look how cool (or hip) we are" factor. Someone will say, "but what if you can't find the AC adapter for your USB cable?" and I'd suggest that if you can't find that, you probably lost the USB cable that it was attached to as well.

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI
I install them where I know I'll always want to charge my phone. Be that by my night stand, office desk, etc. I also have one installed in my family room where I my XBMC media extender resides, and is powered by USB and therefore always needs to be plugged in.

This frees up the three 1 and 2 amp chargers for the random guest who comes over and needs a charge, or my travel bag, etc. I'm not constantly moving them around (and losing them) anymore.

As for the cables - I bought a ton of them from Monoprice in various sizes. At a little over a buck each I'll never run out and they're almost disposable.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Hall
said by Hall:

said by tschmidt:

I've never understood the excitement over USB outlets but perhaps I'm just a Luddite.

Someone will say, "but what if you can't find the AC adapter for your USB cable?" and I'd suggest that if you can't find that, you probably lost the USB cable that it was attached to as well.

That is where my computers com in. Plus I have a bunch of different USB cables collected over the years, so loosing one wouldn't hurt. Except iCrap and their proprietary plugs. Which I wouldn't own anyway.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
I guess I'm of a differing opinion. I think all the wall warts and "plug in" type USB adapters look like crap and are inconvenient. I'll take the built-in USB plugs any day. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
What brand of hardwired USB outlets do you like better or do you see fewer failures less with.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
said by IowaCowboy:

What brand of hardwired USB outlets do you like better or do you see fewer failures less with.

I have checked the guts of several failed hardwired outlets - I collect them as a hobby. The USB circuit inside ALL of them are really basic, probably because of space constraints arising from AC related spacing rules.

Legrand PX1003 shown above is a good design, inside and outside, and simply screws on after replacing the faceplate. It provides 4 USB and 3 AC, all with surge protection. There is also a handy cord wrap. They also have wall-mount models.

P.S. Belkin has a simple plug-in model which is literally a "work of art" but has decent USB guts. Very popular with females!

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to IowaCowboy
They really haven't been around long enough to form an opinion one way or another.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Mr Matt
I had this one. Costco had a pack with a variety of USB chargers. They buzzed loud enough to bug me so I brought them back.

I tried a USB receptacle, but in the most convenient location in my house, I have the four wires (2 circuits on one double breaker) so it wouldn't go into that box.

I just use the chargers that came with my phone and seem to get by ok. At some point I'm sure I'll try one of the built in receptacles again.