spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ld2950
join:2001-09-22
Medford, MA

ld2950

mint linux cinnamon 16 64bit

Ok so I know I don't post to often but this is a problem I can't seem to solve...We use my Xfinity wifi at my mothers house she has winblows and I use Linux mint...Her computer hooks up fine with 1.5 download speeds mine times out more often than not almost acts like my wifi is lost...I have changed the dns servers to open dns and google as well as tried comcasts which work fine for my mother on IE 11..Any help or suggestions would be welcome as its the only internet she has here for me to use and I spend the majority of my offwork hours taking care of her....TY in advance
Peace
ld2950

ld2950

Forgot to mention I hook up to my own router at home with no connection issues at all...Peace
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to ld2950

to ld2950
Do you know which wireless channel Mom's network is using? You could experiment with changing the wireless channel. Could there be other wireless networks (a nextdoor neighbor?) nearby strong enough to cause interference? Perhaps you could open Terminal and run . . sudo iwlist scan . . and see other networks nearby.

Something else I've experienced with my wireless desktop dual-booting Ubuntu/Vista. Quite often, it will connect smoothly with Ubuntu. But when I reboot into Vista, there is many times a significant delay before the router will release an IP address. It is (I think) because the router doesn't immediately realize that the "ubuntu computer" has been "turned off" and that the "vista computer" is asking for the same IP address it last used which is the same IP address that the "ubuntu computer" was using. Sometimes I have to wait 20-30 minutes before Vista will connect to the network. That's my theory...FWIW.
ld2950
Medford, MA

ld2950

its the Comcast xfinity wifi hot spot I let her use my account soshe can have internet I come over to help her out her computer is working beautiful with it using ie 11... I cant change the channel for xfinitys router wish I could...For some reason I only have issues with my Linux laptop I've also tried Kubuntu since I dual boot it and it has the same issues...With her computer though I get super speed no lag nothing...like I said its almost like my wireless is getting lost loads forever sometimes it works.....Getting frustrated hate using her computer while I'm here all my info etc is on my laptop..In case anyone is wondering the laptop is an asus x401u with 4 gigs of ram and an amd apu
Peace
ld2950

ld2950

Almost forgot I can log into the hotspot for xfinity with my laptop logging in is not the problem it doing anything else once I'm online
ld2950

ld2950

Ok so I appreciate the one answer I did get.. I can see things have changed a lot here over the years I have belonged to dsl reports with people being willing to help...It's definately a Linux Issue as I am now having the same resolving hosts issues as I did at my mothers house when I find the solution and post it in hopes it helps someone else will find it useful...Again really sad one reply out of over 100 views sigh ah well..Peace Everyone hope you all have a good day
ld2950

ld2950

So apparently linux is having a possible routing issue dont have the issue with the windows box only my linux laptop which was working fine up until this week mind you so possibly whatever updates they pushed out and I ok'd in my idiocy while taking care of my mother broke something but who knows hopefully I'll find a solution short of reinstalling everything...By the way I continuosly get an unknown network error when I lose connectivity..Peace
ld2950

ld2950 to AZinOH

to AZinOH
I do get an IP number it works randomely once I have it...both computers hook to the hot spot from comcast both are logged in and have separate IP addresses justthe Linux box seems to have issues getting anywhere sometimes it works fine for a few minutes then it takes forever again to do anything and it times out going to the website..I'm pretty sure it is a Linux issue but apparently at 46 I'mnot elite enough for anyone but you here lol..173 views and only one offer of assistance...Peace
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH

Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunate but I don't think I can do more. Maybe the folks in the Wireless Networking forum would be able to help you.

AZ
ld2950
Medford, MA

ld2950

TY sir I will post over there and see if I can resolve this issue funny it only happens on my Linux laptop.....Peace

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2

What your describing is very similar to what happens with fluctuating signal strength, and combined with the Linux driver it may not be as tolerant as some other driver.

What is the distance involved in this hotspot to the various computers?

Are the boxes which connect to the hotspot using an external antenna versus the internal antennas of a laptop.

Devices exactly for wireless, make model, chipsets?

It could be a Linux driver issue which something in the Linux driver is not handling the changing RF signal level, even though it is within acceptable range etc..

I use something that is connected to a similar setup, but it has a 20db gain directional antenna that is pointed right at the hotspot hanging on the line, I probably melt the thing considering what is at the other end and the EIRP (Note: To the self appointed FCC patrol police: Don't bother to tell me I am over the EIRP, I know it, and it is intentional! ) once I am done.

Trying to use that even though line of sight inside, gives much the same results you are getting. Switch to an external antenna setup and it works great.

If you want to do this on a permanent basis I would look to some sort of wireless bridge setup.

More info would help.

eldorque
@208.71.199.x

eldorque to ld2950

Anon

to ld2950
I'm having the same issue as ld2950. I have Comcast as my ISP and I use their TG862 router for my wifi. I noticed that my Linux Mint laptop also stopped being able to access the Web within the past 2 weeks.

Seems what has happened is within the past 2 weeks my router rebooted and got the latest firmware from Comcast. The new firmware enabled the "XfinityWifi" SSID signal. I used the "Wifi Analyzer" application on my smartphone to track this new signal. It transmits on the same channel as my own SSID.

I went to the Comcast site and turned off the XfinityWifi SSID however I've noticed that there is still a second wifi signal being broadcast from the router. This signal does not have a SSID but it is still on the same channel as my SSID. I believe it is this 2nd signal that is causing the Linux Mint system to fail.

All my other windows systems are able to connect using Wifi and communicate over the Net. My Linux Mint system does connect but has problems downloading web pages.

If someone knows of a solution I'm all ears.
ld2950
Medford, MA

1 edit

ld2950 to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
Both have built in antennas signal strength is a around 85% on my laptop and 90% on my mothers computer for some reason they are both pulling the same IP address and I cant seem to get them to change...Like I was saying i gave my mother the password to use xfinity as she cant afford her own the comcast account is mine so this gives her access to get her email and her doctors appointments through patient gateway etc...Both computers have ralink wifi built in..only usb card i have is not supported in linux without going through a lot of bull to get it working...
Peace
ld2950

ld2950

so i am unable to ping the ip address for the hot spot :P sigh...I pay a bit of money for this service and their tech support actually asked me whats Linux O_o....LOL Peace

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2

Yeah, talking to any of the lower level dolt script reading "tech support" it is pretty much useless to mention anything outside windstupider. I don't.

Getting the same IP address would have been about 3rd on my list.

If you get that good a signal you must be right on the spot....

Your probably getting the same IP address as commiecraps setup after you login sees you logged in to the SAME HOTSPOT so gives you back the address it already gave you. It really should look at the MAC address so as not to do that, but they are not planning for you to do what your doing.

The solution is to do this in wireless bridge mode.

Get a wireless bridge device

Commiecrap hotspot - wirless bridge - wireless router, and then feed the PC's at that location through the bridge. This way you get an internal IP (192.168 or so) and all that commiecrap sees is your wireless bridge connected.

You can get some of the wireless routers to act as bridges as well or a dedicated device. Your choice. That will solve the problem.
ld2950
Medford, MA

ld2950

Ty I have an old netgear wireless router that might just do the trick don't know why I didn't think of that before..Too much going on with mom I guess ty very much for your help I will check back and let you know if it works..I think it will now my brain is functioning..:D Peace