Search similar:

uniqs

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

[TV] [RANT] - Roger's customer service - Truck roll to enable WHPVR?

So, I have had the Whole-Home PVR for a couple years - I was actually the first live install in the region, when they launched it...

I had a PVR, and 2 HD terminals - I've finished my basement, and wanted to add a new TV - went to the Roger's store; got a Nextbox HD terminal, brought it home, plugged it in, connected the cable drop, let it boot... Turned it on after the clock appeared, and was all good, I could watch TV.

About 2 day's later, I went to watch a recorded program from the new TV - and got a message that the PVR functions weren't enabled, and to call customer service... So I did. First person I spoke to wasn't very helpful; but did eventually transfer me through to Client Care. Rep in client care, while speaking much better English than the first person I dealt with; wasn't any more help.

I was told that a tech would have to visit to enable the WHPVR, at a cost of $50... I explained that I already had the MoCA filters installed, and already had the WHPVR enabled, and just needed the feature enabled on my new box.

She put me on hold, came back, and said they still needed to send a tech, but that they'd waive the $50 fee. I asked why a tech had to come, if the box was connected, working, and just needed a software feature enabled. She put me on hold again, returned, and said the had to roll a truck, and that the first appointment available was "xxx" date between 9 and noon.

I'm actually happy with my Rogers internet and TV - it's more expensive then I'd like, sure; but it's reliable, and generally works well...

It's this kind of nonsense, though, that's frustrating as hell... If a truck roll is truly needed for WHPVR work, then why did the retail store give me a box? And I know that I'm more technical than most consumers - but if the terminal is installed, cabled out, and just needs a software feature enabled - why roll a truck? It's a waste of my time, and their resources... That they wanted to charge me a $50 service call, is the icing on the cake - that's just ignorant.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

It's a bit backwards, but the tech adds the codes to your account to enable WHPVR. The reason a tech has to come is to make sure the MoCA filter is installed and that the riser for the new box is in the MoCA loop.

In your case things sound like you were already good. However in a lot of cases the new boxes get installed outside of the MoCA loop, if they could just activate it from the office and it wasn't where it should be the signals will add to the plant noise floor and theoretically could crash a node.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Makes sense, wasn't thinking about noise feeding back into the plant - but the store should have told me that a truck roll was required; rather than just handing out the box. And the $50 tech fee is BS...

Thanks
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

The $50 service fee is at the discretion of the tech. We don't usually charge the customer unless we have to. (Your TV is on the wrong input, your asking for support on a non Rogers product you rewired your house yourself and we need to redo it cause you did it wrong. )
They tell you there could be a $50 fee every service order just to get your OK before hand, but your hardly ever billed.

If you do get billed, you can always challenge it as well. The office had the ability to waive the charge.

As for the store, they don't really have a clue. They just do the swap, if you brought in an 8642 to exchange for a 9865, there is no need for a tech. WHPVR will automatically work. In their defense, they don't know the difference or what's required to make WHPVR work. They should, but they should know a lot of things that they can't possibly understand unless they were once a tech.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to LazMan

to LazMan
i had to have a tech here 3 times before my WHPVR actually worked.
first it worked on two nodes, but not the third -- so they added an in line amp.
Then it worked on all three nodes, but one purchased but non nextbox 3 reciever went gray screen (signal was too strong) and one of the nodes wasn't displaying half the channels it should.
once they fixed that issue, the PVR would randomly drop out of the network -- they would all show connected, but couldnt list anything on the pvr.

They finally came and did line tests and basically rewired my entire house (which is brand new btw) and then everything worked perfectly -- so far anyway --