Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

2 edits
reply to SkyNetCanada

It's not, it's all ISPs. The problem is that such rankings are useless, because different ISPs have different packages at different price points. The results are far more reflective of what the most popular tier for an ISP is. And server hosts like OVH seem to be mixed in too. A far more useful ranking would be percentage of promised speed delivered. Anyhow, the full list from Ookla's rankings:

TOP ISP'S IN MONTRÉAL

1. OVH Hosting 150.51 Mbps

2. SkyNet Canada Wireless Fiber 68.86 Mbps

3. Fibrenoire Internet 58.43 Mbps

4. MTO Telecom 53.79 Mbps

5. Openface 39.33 Mbps

6. Peer 1 Network (USA) 30.89 Mbps

7. IWeb Technologies 28.73 Mbps

8. Pixelweb 24.75 Mbps

9. Telus 23.18 Mbps

10. Videotron 20.11 Mbps

11. Telecommunications Xittel 19.77 Mbps

12. ACN DSL 18.27 Mbps

13. Bell Canada 15.78 Mbps

14. ELECTRONIC BOX 15.49 Mbps

15. Yesup Ecommerce Solutions 14.74 Mbps

16. Altima Telecom 13.55 Mbps

17. TekSavvy 13.29 Mbps

18. Altima Cable Quebec 12.61 Mbps

19. B2B2C 11.28 Mbps

20. CIK Telecom 11.09 Mbps

21. Rogers Cable 10.53 Mbps

22. AEI Internet 10.39 Mbps

23. Distributel Communications 9.91 Mbps

24. Acanac Inc. 9.31 Mbps

25. Colba Net 8.31 Mbps

26. Mustang technologies 7.84 Mbps

27. Bell Mobility 7.13 Mbps

28. Mohawk Internet Technologies 6.11 Mbps

29. VIF Internet 5.69 Mbps

30. Fibernetics Corporation 5.6 Mbps

31. Cogeco Cable 5.44 Mbps

32. Telebec 4.79 Mbps

33. Transvision Reseau 4.72 Mbps

34. Xplornet Communications 4.11 Mbps

35. Cooptel Coop de Telecommunication 3.95 Mbps

36. Primus Canada 3.47 Mbps

--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.3 released!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

2 recommendations

What? No JCN Telecom/Westlink cable/cable gator?

I'm shocked.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

A far more useful ranking would be percentage of promised speed delivered.

You say that, but if an ISP advertised/promised 56KB over ADSL and charged 100$/month for it, it'd receive top scores by your ranking.

Excluding hosting providers being in this list, I'd argue average speed offered by an ISP does represent a valid metric as service cost will affect how many people sign up for a given tier, therefor dropping ranking with increased cost.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Guspaz

Pardon my ignorance, how is Rogers a Montreal ISP? I can get Videotron, or a reseller, also cannot get Cogeco.
Peer1 is an ISP to whom?
Openface went out of business a decade(?) ago, but seem to be back (according to this list). A friend of mine had their wireless hookup to their business, it was great, but no connectivity for me.
Hence my question on whether this list is B2B skewed.
--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
~ Project Hope ~

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to DSL_Ricer

said by DSL_Ricer:

You say that, but if an ISP advertised/promised 56KB over ADSL and charged 100$/month for it, it'd receive top scores by your ranking.

Excluding hosting providers being in this list, I'd argue average speed offered by an ISP does represent a valid metric as service cost will affect how many people sign up for a given tier, therefor dropping ranking with increased cost.

Well, what's better, a company charging $30 for 24 megabit but delivering 8 in practice, or a company charging $25 for 7 megabit and delivering 7 in practice? I don't think you can ignore "promised versus offered", especially when you have companies like Colba, which almost exclusively pushes a 24 meg service, but has an average speed of about 8...
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

Pardon my ignorance, how is Rogers a Montreal ISP? I can get Videotron, or a reseller, also cannot get Cogeco.
Peer1 is an ISP to whom?
Openface went out of business a decade(?) ago, but seem to be back (according to this list). A friend of mine had their wireless hookup to their business, it was great, but no connectivity for me.
Hence my question on whether this list is B2B skewed.

Rogers and Fido wireless often show up as Rogers Cable on Ookla's testing. I've been detected as Rogers Cable while doing a speedtest on my Fido iPhone, for example.

Peer1 is a (very large) datacenter host who has facilities in Montreal. They primarily address the enterprise market.

OpenFace's website says they've been operating since 1996, so they clearly never went out of business. They may have gone into bankruptcy protection or something, I don't know.

The list isn't B2B skewed so much as it includes all sort of transit providers (be they residential, business, or enterprise) indiscriminately.
--

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to SkyNetCanada

As far as I know, OVH and iWeb are strictly hosting facilities, they do not provide Internet access services directly. I do not see hwat they would do on a ISP ranking...

Mehhh

@192.222.144.x

The problem with the list is people do speed tests from servers they rent/buy from OVH, iWeb, Peer1, etc. It creates higher results and pollutes the rankings.. so saying ISP X, Y, Z is better is false.

Excluding OVH (which does not provides last-mile connectivity in Canada), Fibrenoire/MTO/Openface/Peer1 are B2B providers so think 10/100/1000/10000Mbps services. Quite easy to get to the top list compared to DSL/Cable providers.

I suspect Skynet to falsificate the results, I won't say how, but it's fairly easy..

SkyNetCanada

join:2009-05-30
Sainte-Rose, QC

1 edit

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

said by SkyNetCanada:

Now how the heck can I falsify the results? lol

Photoshop notwithstanding?

Meh.

Wireless Fiber.
Fiberless Wire.
Hybrid Fiber
Fibe

It's all meaningless marketing drivel filled with jargon-o-the-day, the players all lined up shilling their wares on an unsuspecting public so focused on having the "latest biggest fastest" they can't see past the bullshit.

Nice way to post an ad though.

Mike

--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

SkyNetCanada

Sainte-Rose, QC

1 edit

wer5467

@66.55.141.x
reply to dillyhammer

What's funny is that everything seems shady about Skynetcanada and Fibremedia. Everything seems like a front. What ever happened to your cameras in Montreal? The fact that you write that your support both CWDM and DWDM on your page make it look like you just learned what it mean. Do you still install routers with a second virtual SSID name at business places you installed a wifi router to make it look like you can connect to but actually never works even with full signal? My idea of your "business" is to make people believe you are big so you attract potential investors. I'm not saying you don't provide service but my guess it that you probably have very few customer and only in Montreal downtown. I'd be suprised if it was anything more than PTP links.

wer5467

@66.55.141.x

Oh ya and that ranking is probably just an average of the number of tests that was done (IE: you did a few tests yourself on a 100 Mbps pipe). How would you explain that you are faster than your own provider? You are not a peering company so you are only renting someone else bandwidth and you cannot be faster than that provider.

SkyNetCanada

Sainte-Rose, QC

3 edits

Click for full size
Installs getting there :p

lowping

join:2013-08-04
reply to SkyNetCanada

Well it's all too bad this doesn't concern me, a residential customer............

catchingup

@135.23.225.x

said by lowping:

Well it's all too bad this doesn't concern me, a residential customer............

You do know there is more to the Internet than residential Internet connections? This seems to be lost on a lot of people.

dakhsjbr32

@184.151.112.x
reply to SkyNetCanada

Funny, I remember you stating you had your own fiber deployed (not renting someone's else) in MTL dt long time ago? What's even more funny is that you are either using ungrounded armoured cable or not using amoured cable for interior (not going in CSEVM premises). I'll stay vague and only say this : We live in a small word.

P.S. This is the worst setup I ever saw. I'll give you a hint : Straight and round.

SkyNetCanada

Sainte-Rose, QC

1 edit

lowping

reply to catchingup

said by catchingup :

said by lowping:

You do know there is more to the Internet than residential Internet connections? This seems to be lost on a lot of people.

And then, what's your point ? You do know there's more to the Internet than business Internet connection, right ?

catchingup

@135.23.225.x

said by lowping:

And then, what's your point ? You do know there's more to the Internet than business Internet connection, right ?

You're trolling.

lowping

1 edit

said by catchingup :

said by lowping:

You're trolling.

How is this trolling ? Do you even know what's this topic is about ?

I come here thinking hey, I would like to be a customer of "top ISP montreal".
Well I can't! Now explain to me how this is trolling and what's your problem.
Expand your moderator at work

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to SkyNetCanada

Re: SkyNet Canada / Fibre Media FYI - Top Montreal Internet Providers

They're a business ISP. Just because they only serve business customers doesn't mean they're not an ISP.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

said by Guspaz:

They're a business ISP. Just because they only serve business customers doesn't mean they're not an ISP.

I thought they actually did some residential as well, wasn't there a thread around here a little while ago with Skynet pushing Gbps to res?

lowping

reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I don't think anybody said they weren't.