join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Diazruanova

Re: [FireFox] FireFox 29

Click for full size
And here's mine without any addons... The only thing I need to fix is to decrease the transparency of the inactive tabs for when I use a theme with darker window colors. It's a lean mean browsing machine!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC
kudos:2

4 recommendations

reply to AZinOH
said by AZinOH:

Opera is only fair, Chrome I don't want, and IE is what it is. For me, nothing is as good as Firefox and until that changes I don't want to.

AZ

Until you've experienced Pale Moon, you haven't tried them all. I'm a recent convert and love it. Here's a quote from the Pale Moon Project home page.
»www.palemoon.org/

"Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux, focusing on efficiency and ease of use. Make sure to get the most out of your browser!

Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from source with carefully selected features and optimizations to maximize the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come to love and rely on."

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
+1

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to CCat
said by CCat:

You can find it here.

With TMP I decided to go with white font (bolded) for inactive tabs which solved the problem nicely. Trying to deal with the color tabs specifically was problematic so choosing a font color was the better option.

(I also did some minor tweaking by turning off just about everything else in TPM )

Thanks again!
--

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
kudos:1
reply to Pentangle
said by Pentangle See Profile
Until you've experienced Pale Moon, you haven't tried them all. I'm a recent convert and love it. Here's a quote from the Pale Moon Project home page.
»www.palemoon.org/

"Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux, focusing on efficiency and ease of use. Make sure to get the most out of your browser!

Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from source with carefully selected features and optimizations to maximize the browser's speed, stability and user experience, while maintaining compatibility with the thousands of Firefox extensions you have come to love and rely on."
[/bquote :

Thanks for your opinion. I may try Pale Moon if the need arises but I'm not going to get hung up on the "which browser is the best" argument. When FF does not satisfy my need, then I'll look elsewhere.

AZ

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to Ronnie_USA
i love it........i have my addon bar fox forecast.........noew i'm happy

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Ronnie_USA
Has anyone figure out a way to make the address (toolbar) bar transparent?

I have my tabs below the address (toolbar) bar and classic theme restorer can make the tabs bar transparent, but it doesn't seem to have an option to make the toolbar (addressbar) transparent like it is in the last several versions of firefox.

If anyone has figure out how please let me know

jamesfengcao

join:2004-10-30
San Carlos, CA
reply to orion940
It is even worse that ff29 is more bloated.

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Ronnie_USA
It's a mess. I maintain Opera as my primary browser and keep FF as backup and to visit a few sites that don't cooperate well with Opera- but if they're going to screw up my settings in an ill-advised attempt to clone Chrome, why shouldn't I just use Chrome instead?
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Sup Foo
Premium
join:2014-05-01
Denver, CO
reply to Ronnie_USA
Well, after a few crashes, FF hanging in task manager after closing, uninstalled v29 and reinstalled v28. Last crash left v29 hanging in task manager with 1.5GB of RAM being used.

Some of the problems I had with v29 may be related to Flash, but I don't care, total experience was unacceptable.

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ
reply to TurtleFan
well, I've had enough. today it wouldn't even start. sticking with the old version.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
reply to Ronnie_USA
My bookmark icon is in two connected parts. One for bookmarking a page (star) and another for showing bookmarks. See screenshot. This combo takes up more room than I want. How are you folks getting just the star on the toolbar?

Thanks.
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
You don't have ShowIP 2.4 installed do you? It was doing that to my other add-on icons.

»[Extension] ShowIP 2.4 available

PS: Just tried and I'm seeing the same thing. Not sure if it's supposed to work that way because of the above issue.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to jamesfengcao
said by jamesfengcao:

It is even worse that ff29 is more bloated.

How so?
--

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
reply to StuartMW
Thanks. No; that's not it. I don't have ShowIP.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to Ronnie_USA
Well with IE patched I'm going to it till version 30 and if it is no better guess I'm done with FF.
Cleared the cache and all that and this slow POS is still pissing me off.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
FF 29.0 flies on my machines. Very pleased with this browser, but once again, I would not run it without Classic Theme Restorer.

So happy that I #1. Did a clean install, and then #2. Added Classic Theme Restorer and then #3. Took the time to set up the interface exactly the way I like it.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to Ronnie_USA
I am enjoying FF 29 on Debian and openSUSE.

Tim

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

3 recommendations

reply to Skipdawg
said by Skipdawg:

Well with IE patched I'm going to it till version 30 and if it is no better guess I'm done with FF.
Cleared the cache and all that and this slow POS is still pissing me off.

Always the first step in trying to fix problems with FF -- start with a clean/new profile and no add-ons. I bet it works great at that point.
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

3 recommendations

said by darcilicious:

Always the first step in trying to fix problems with FF -- start with a clean/new profile and no add-ons. I bet it works great at that point.

I want to 2nd this statement, and add to it.

In more detail, you should fully remove (after doing any required backups, per your needs) all versions of firefox, including your profile. Then, install Firefox (whatever version is the current one, or the one you are having problems with). Have it create a new profile, and then make sure that you have the following under the Add-Ons Manager

Extensions: None
Appearance: Default xx.x (where xx.x is the version of Firefox you have installed)
Plugins: None

Once you are at that point, start adding back your customizations one at a time, and try things out to see how they work.

9 times out of 10, people's issues with a new version of Firefox have to do with an incompatible Extension, Theme, or Plugin. The way to figure that out is to do what both myself and darcilicious See Profile recommend.

Is it a lot of work? You bet it is. Can it be a pain in the butt to test everything one at a time, especially if you have a lot of Extensions and Plugins? You bet. Unfortunately, that really is the only way to see what is causing your issues.

The other thing that could assist people is for them to research all of these items to see if there is a new version for the new version of Firefox, BEFORE installing the new version of Firefox. The hope is that they (developers of extensions, themes, or plugins) would be aware of the new version of Firefox coming out, and have already done said testing to see if their current code works or not. If it does not work, they do the needed steps to modify it and release a new version of said extension, theme, or plugin. Again, a lot of work on the developers of these, but if those steps are done, and the end user does the research before going to a new version of the browser, one could upgrade the browser, and then as the next step upgrade any of these items to the new version. Since the user would have done that research before installing the new version of Firefox, they would know which items would need to be updated already.

Again, a lot of up front work by the end user, and work that can take a lot of time and effort. But, I feel if people start taking these steps, they won't have all these issues when a new browser version comes out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to timcuth
said by timcuth:

I am enjoying FF 29 on Debian and openSUSE.

It is working fine for me on opensuse.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 13.1; KDE 4.11.5; firefox 29.0

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

5 recommendations

reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

In more detail, you should fully remove (after doing any required backups, per your needs) all versions of firefox, including your profile. Then, install Firefox (whatever version is the current one, or the one you are having problems with). Have it create a new profile, and then make sure that you have the following under the Add-Ons Manager

Sorry Brian but I have to disagree with you.

It took me years to get my Firefox to look/work the way I want it to and to start all over with each update is ludicrous.

All Mozilla/Firefox has to do is leave the UI alone (that's why we like it compared to every other browser out there). All they need to do is work on the background code with security and speed...that's it, nothing more.

The new look of Firefox is horrible and once again I have to download a stupid "add on" to make it look and act like an older version.
I'm sure all these "add ons" don't make Firefox any more stable but it's our only option since Mozilla keeps messing with every part of Firefox instead of leaving well enough alone.

And they DO have this mentality where they think they know everything and what changes they make is best and you better get used to it.
Every company does this and eventually fails (the bigger they get the harder they fall).
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

said by georgermct:

Sorry Brian but I have to disagree with you.

It took me years to get my Firefox to look/work the way I want it to and to start all over with each update is ludicrous.

I think you may have misunderstood me a bit.

I'm not saying that on every release of Firefox, you toss out all your customizations and start over from square one. I'm not saying that at all.

What I am saying is two things

1) BEFORE you upgrade, do the research on all your extensions, themes, and plugins to see if there is a newer version out there that would be more compatible with the newest version of Firefox. As I said, a lot of problems that people have when they upgrade Firefox are due to an extension, theme, or plugins that are either not supported anymore, or need to be upgraded to a new version to run without issues in the new browser.

To help explain this more, I look at Thunderbird, and the Calendar plugin "Lightning". If you run Thunderbird 24.x, you must run version 2.6 of this plugin, otherwise it will not work. Version 23 of Thunderbird required you to have version 2.5 (if my memory is correct) of Lightning to work correctly. When I moved from Thunderbird 23.x to 24.x, I did the research to see if I needed a new version of my Calendar Plugin. Turns out that I did, and I performed the steps to make sure that I had it downloaded and ready to install once I upgraded Thunderbird. That way, once the upgrade was done, I went ahead and upgraded my Calendar Plugin, and everything worked as it should. What I'm saying is the same logic and steps can be applied to Firefox as well. Research your plugins, themes, and extensions before you upgrade to make sure that they all will work without issues.

2) If after you upgrade, you notice something has broken, or is not working the same way it did before, it would be at that time that one could take the steps and the time to go back to square one, and figure out what broke. The thing is, its a browser. If you don't have any plugins, themes, or extensions installed, it should work without issues on a clean install. If at that point it does not work (fails to install, web pages don't load right, you get error or odd message boxes, etc), then you have other issues on your system (Trying to install Firefox 29 on Windows 98 for example, which is probably not supported, not enough free disk space, rights issues, and so on).

However, if the problem is radical changes to the UI from previous versions, then the browser really is not "Broke" or "Things don't work" per say. They do work, and nothing is really broke. Its just different then it was in the previous version. Like Windows 8 is not broke compared to Windows 7...its just a different Start Interface. To say "The Windows 8 upgrade broke my computer" when everything you had before runs, but the UI is different is not really accurate. Its not broke, its just "Looks Different". Big difference there.

Finally, I do agree with this statement.
said by georgermct:

And they DO have this mentality where they think they know everything and what changes they make is best and you better get used to it.
Every company does this and eventually fails (the bigger they get the harder they fall).

While some changes to the UI are good, to radical of one, or one where you are not allowed to modify it to get it close to what it was before has always been a problem. It is, to me, one of the biggest fails of Windows 8. Yes, its a great OS, and adds a lot of new features for touch and the like, but where I feel Microsoft went wrong was to force the new "modern" interface onto everyone, and not allow a choice (without installing 3rd party apps) to make it look like Windows 7.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
But when Firefox updates to the new version on a restart you don't get that opportunity.
I just had it occur on my work PC, loaded FF28 and the browser immediately updated to FF29 with no option to stop it.
So I uninstalled and loaded Palemoon, at least it works.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

Are you asking for help with how to start Firefox with a clean profile and/or with no add-ons loaded?

I have very few add-ons and my upgraded FF v29 works just fine...
--

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16

4 edits

2 recommendations

reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb :

.... 9 times out of 10, people's issues with a new version of Firefox have to do with an incompatible Extension, Theme, or Plugin. ...

Is it a lot of work? You bet it is. Can it be a pain in the butt to test everything one at a time, especially if you have a lot of Extensions and Plugins? You bet. Unfortunately, that really is the only way to see what is causing your issues.

The other thing that could assist people is for them to research all of these items to see if there is a new version for the new version of Firefox, BEFORE installing the new version of Firefox. ... and the end user does the research before going to a new version of the browser, .... Since the user would have done that research before installing the new version of Firefox, they would know which items would need to be updated already.

plencnerb See Profile Brian, All in your post is great info.

This worked well when the "Check For Updates" button did _just_ that, as it did for many years; The button checked for Updates. If it found one, it indicated an Update was Available, and gave a link to a Change log page, so users could easily educate themselves _before_ making changes. Knowing an update was available, and what Security risks and/or bugs it addressed, and/or Features it added or changed, empowered the user to decide if this was the right time to update, and to check for reports of Extension and Plug-in conflicts, BEFORE downloading, BEFORE applying the Update - BEFORE causing any further interruption of what they were doing, while waiting for an update to complete (Fx to restart, and tabs to reload), let alone BEFORE having to potentially go through what you accurately describe as a lot of time, and effort, which in many cases also means expense (in lost productivity), to isolate problem extensions and plugins.

The procedure worked very well, for many people:
1) Use internal Update Checker to manual check for Update. Less interruption than checking for updates at Release pages. If an Update was found, then.

2) Use Internal Link to check Change Log. View Known Risks mitigated by the update.

3) Check for reports of extension, and plug-in conflicts here, at extension author's sites, and at MoFo Forums.

4) If I am not hallucinating (again..), for a time I think Fx even returned a report on what extensions the PROFFERED update might break (though how accurate this was, I am not sure).

5) Later on one could use the Update Compatibility Reports to look for conflicts.

That was when MoFo RESPECTED it's users, and RESPECTED it's extension authors*; When non-major-security type releases were made at a responsible, respectful pace. You know, Phoenix, Firebird, and Firefox up through around version 4x. Before the MoFo shenanigans really began...

Good advice though, Brian! Just image what MoFo could do with it, if they actually still understood, and actually still cared.

It's a shame, as it took lots of hard work, on many folks parts, including users spreading the word and trying, repeatedly, to show the IE world what was possible with Fx. At least some of those who were eventually convinced to check Fx out, and even to adopt it, are now abandoning it, due to this. Some folks simply do not have the time and/or inclination that many of us do, to "play" around. It's a browser, a tool, to them. They were willing to give it a try, and enjoyed how it could be tailored to their wants/needs, but they have had enough, and are reverting back to IE. Some were kept with Enterprise, and may try Pale Moon, as it has performed almost flawlessly in months of testing here.

It's all fully understandable, fully predictable, and easily preventable.

*What make Fx, at least for this user, is that it is so customizable, and so its the EXTENSION AUTHORS that really make Fx, because they facilitate this amazing customization. Some have simple given up, due to MoFo's games.

* Of course for users with very few, or no extensions, themes, or plugins, such conflicts are mostly moot (but so is one of the major advantages of Fx, then, for them), but radical GUI changes can still present challenges.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to darcilicious
No, this was a freshly imaged Win 7 PC and so no prior profile. I do know about the check box to control updating FF, but it updated before I could get to that check box. I generally set it to notify and allow me to control the updates.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

And here's mine without any addons... The only thing I need to fix is to decrease the transparency of the inactive tabs for when I use a theme with darker window colors. It's a lean mean browsing machine!

How did you get the address abr all the way to the left side and icons to the right? thanks

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

4 recommendations

reply to Bobby_Peru
Everything you said is 100% correct. Now, however, all of that, as we all know, has changed, because a button that clearly says "Check for updates", really should say "Check for updates, and if there is one, you're going to get right NOW".

That is really the big problem in all of this. I really wish there was a way to properly communicate that to the teams over at Mozilla that write that part of the code. They need to either change the text on the button to make it more clear as to what it actually does, or they need to change it back to how it was.

Is that so hard?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Ronnie_USA
FF29 did one thing that made me scramble to find a theme to fix the problem.

By eliminating the title bar at the top of the page, there is no space between the top of the screen and the file commands and since I use a touch screen that's a wee bit of a problem (My finger is too big to actually hit the file commands unless I *deliberately* point there)

Had to grab the Australis theme to fix that issue.

Bad form Mozilla, bad form...

NefCanuck