Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

Re: [FireFox] FireFox 29

So the option to remove the Nav toolbar in Classic Theme Restorer doesn't work?

EDIT: Never mind, I just tested it myself and all it didn't work right.

Steve_J

@154.20.157.x

1 recommendation

reply to Ronnie_USA
After playing with 29.0 RC1 for about 10 mins, I actually like the Australis. It's simply easier and I really like the - + 100% "Zoom" which shows the actual zoom level.

Maybe because I only have few add-ons, I can have all icons/address bar/add-ons all in a single line Menu bar, so my Firefox only has the Menu bar and Bookmarks Toolbar at the top.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Steely
said by Steely:

[...]Classic Theme Restorer was key but I still haven't found a way to move the tabs back down to where I want them.

Have you tried manually dragging them ? That seems to work.
Seems Mozilla is pushing a somewhat IE UI OMG

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

reply to Ronnie_USA
Still no release notes which is irritating.

#JustSaying.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Ronnie_USA
Any idea when it will appear on the main download page? Version 28 is still out there for download at this time.

--Brian

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to siljaline
Manually dragging them was the first thing I tried. I got it done with the Classic Theme Restorer add-on.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

2 recommendations

reply to Steely
said by Steely:

I don't understand why the chief FF developers make radical changes like this. How does anyone benefit?

I guess if it ain't broke- fix it.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Steely
Noted, Steely See Profile, link for theme restorer or is that just for Australis ?

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox ··· estorer/

Just saw the recommendation to start with a new profile or delete 'localstore.rdf' from the profile folder. Oh well.

It is recommended to switch to a new clean profile (or at least delete 'localstore.rdf' from profile folder) to avoid UI issues after upgrading from Firefox 28 (and older) to Firefox 29 (and newer).

This add-on restores squared tabs, appbutton/appmenu (known from Firefox for Windows), bookmarks menu button, bookmarks sidebar button, history sidebar button and other buttons from Firefox 4-28 (non-Australis) on Firefox 29+ (Austalis UI - Windows, MacOSX, Linux). All buttons are fully optional. Some of them have to be moved to toolbars manually using browsers 'customize' area.

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16
reply to Ronnie_USA
Is there someway I can get Firefox looking like it used to?

Like with the orange Firefox button in the top left and the tabs right next to it?

EmoHobo

reply to Ronnie_USA
Now that I've had some time to mess with it, I like it, I just wish I could make the URL bar a bit thinner, it's a bit too thick for my liking with the outline around it. ALso how do I reopen a closed tab?

Darth Bane

@47.54.90.x
How to reopen a closed tab:

Right-click on tab, Undo Closed Tab

Ctrl+Shift+T

Go to History, Restore Closed Tabs

EmoHobo

reply to Ronnie_USA
Now I just need to find a way to make Bookmarks open up with a pane on the left hand side again by default. Without having to click on the star in the thing on the right and then click "view bookmark sidebar"

Steely
Premium
Princeton Junction, NJ
You can TRY adding one of the bookmark buttons from here. I already had the full "Toolbar Buttons" add-on installed and was able to accomplish what you're trying to do.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Steely
Atleast there's still Firefox 24.5.0 ESR that's still getting security updates. »www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ··· ons/all/

Pale Moon and Waterfox for 64-bit OS users.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Ronnie_USA

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Ronnie_USA
Pleased to see it's now Mozilla Defintelynotchromiumfox.......

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

2 recommendations

reply to Steely
They don't. These were "because we can" changes, at least to me. As if making tabs not near the content by default and giving us the option with browser.tabs.onTop wasn't enough, this time 'round they shove it down our throats by ignoring that preference and having us get an add-on instead. You'd think that they'd learn making such a radical change was not going to be well-received. It's not that I hate change in this case, it is demonstrably worse, in that my hand/mouse has to travel further to click to change tabs with them above the address bar...it's just stupidity from an efficiency standpoint. I find it tough to imagine how those folks think this is "better." Well, better for them I guess, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

It also somewhat galls intrigues me that they saw the need to emulate Chromium's widget in the upper right with the three horizontal lines. Again, rubbish, no good reason, the menus just under the title bar was quite good enough, and moving them (for Opera too) was stupid to me.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

dean corso

join:2007-09-07
reply to Ronnie_USA
Hate it. Back to 28.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4
I don't get what people are complaining about so much, the addons bar is now part of the top so it wastes less space, I used to use an extension for tabs to appear in the title bar so less space was wasted which they do by default now, they moved the menu button, and changed the menu button.

"OMFG EMO it looks like chrome!!!111!!!!" Well yes it does, it was a streamlined designed, and other than the positioning of the menu button my Firefox looked almost like that with 28. It looks like the thread is over three months old now, but I had taken screenshots of my firefox vs the current firefox. It's not a big deal, really.

Edit: Found it with a search engine.

--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Except it looks like Chrome with a terrible KDE skin.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:4
I don't care too much for kde either, I like a clean desktop, but that's another topic. So the difference is the menu button moved, the menu changed, and they rounded the corners of the tabs when you compare it to my image, other than little changes. It all works towards giving the user more space for webpages instead of a bulky gui. Some of us were just ahead of our time in trying to minimize how much space it had to take up.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 edit
I just installed Version 29 over my custom 28 and, except for the curved tabs and a few minor ( to me ) changes it does the task.
However I'm still trying to figure out how to delete a bookmark. Right clicking and pressing delete used to work before.

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Mike
said by Mike:

a terrible KDE skin

There are no terrible KDE skins, just terrible KDE skinners.
--
sudo is dangerous but root is death!

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21
reply to Ronnie_USA
where did 'check for add on' and 'updates' go?

EmoHobo

reply to Ronnie_USA
The only change I wish I could make was to make the URL bar a bit thinner and get rid of the border, because as it is now, it's actually bigger then my FF 28 build.

Edit: Also things in my history list keep getting named wrong when typing in the URL bar to find something.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Steely
Kicking the tires now & thanks for the suggestion Steely See Profile
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox ··· estorer/

Did anyone announce what's fixed and what's not.
»www.mozilla.org/security/known-v ··· fox.html

bonnieville

join:2006-02-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Ronnie_USA
Good day folks.

Not a "tech" type user.

Updated to version 29 and my e-mail doesn't display.

Fooled around just a wee bit and went back to 28.

Any suggestions as to what this old guy is over looking?

Have a great day.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
not much. You might want to go the extended support release (ESR) route, which kickass69 mentioned is 24.5.0. This new UI seems to be for those (not me) who can't seem to spare a whole lot of pixels vertically, so things like the Add-on Bar make no sense to them. I guess they'd rather have everything crowded together on one horizontal strip.

I can't recommend reverting to 28 because there were some vulnerabilities addressed with this latest release. ESR is probably a better way to go, or use, as some have mentioned, the classic theme restorer add-on
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:2
reply to Ronnie_USA
I can't find where you can change the size of the icons anymore, or where you can have text labels on them or not for that matter. Seems to have disappeared.