coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

1 recommendation

coldmoon

Premium Member

Total BS...

You have to sign into Hulu to use Hulu so what difference does your current IP have to do with you having a valid account?

This is nothing more than an attempt to track site users by force of policy and not because it has any useful relevance for "privacy"

JMHO
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42

said by coldmoon:

You have to sign into Hulu to use Hulu so what difference does your current IP have to do with you having a valid account?

Your login is associated with a billing address, but there are obviously ways to create a billing address elsewhere.

Hulu's licensing agreements limit distribution to the United States. It's like the region coding on a DVD: you are only supposed to play it in the region for which it was manufacturers.

Other companies have the rights to distribute some of Hulu's content outside the US. So, Hulu is technically violating those agreements if someone outside the US streams the content.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

unfortunately these agreements and the delays they cause for content leaving the US. Which in some cases can be weeks or months only continues to drive piracy.

I know this is why BBC-Worldwide started releasing Doctor Who the same day globally as it does in the UK. (International dateline permitting.)
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

1 recommendation

The Antihero to ptb42

to ptb42
It's like the region coding on a DVD: you are only supposed to
quote:
play it in the region for which it was manufacturers.
...which is pretty damn stupid too.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to ptb42

Premium Member

to ptb42
Using an IP address to guess at a users location is really stupid and makes no sense.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to coldmoon

to coldmoon
Now you're talking.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42 to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

Using an IP address to guess at a users location is really stupid and makes no sense.

IP geolocation is not perfect, but it's pretty good at determining at least in which country you happen to be.

Try this website: »www.iplocation.net/

It shows your IP geolocation from four different providers. All four are correct for my home IP address. However, only one has the exact correct location for my VPN endpoint. The other three put it in the correct state, but wrong city.

Hulu would work fine. However, Aereo also uses IP geolocation to determine whether you are in the broadcaster's reception area, so I probably couldn't use my VPN to evade their restriction.