All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

VMedia on Jesse Brown's Canadaland

Hi some of you might be interested in an interview I did on Jesse Brown's Canadaland podcast, just posted, on the Canadian TV landscape, and the upcoming CRTC process on the future of TV.

»canadalandshow.com/canad ··· -doomed/

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

"You're not emotionally connected to your internet"

I'm sure that's true for the majority, but.. You are posting to dslreports here

One thing you mention about Netflix.. Irrespective of the CRTC's ability to regulate the internet, Netflix has chosen to regulate what Canadians get to see for their own business reasons. In addition, they are already commissioning original Canadian Content--Trailer Park Boys. The only thing missing is a regulatory framework that can codify that existing reality.

For example, you could create a new framework around distribution of intellectual property, rather than around broadcasting. Companies negotiating Canadian distribution rights for intellectual property from international sources (aka Netflix) might have to cough up the $$$ to Canadian productions in some ratio. A simple tax on the media distribution industry, like the blank CD levy

We shouldn't forget that these cultural questions are only really important to English Canada. I've no idea if French Canadian content is any good, but I do know it is popular. Presumably it doesn't need the same protections.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to absorb what you were saying about profits from internet service. 90% profit margin under current pricing models, sure, but.. Aren't we all fighting to fix the current pricing models? Equality of inputs, functional separation, a public utility model for data comms, or whatever...

What a mess! But it was a good talk

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to GeorgeBurger

MVM

to GeorgeBurger
I'm a heck of a lot more emotionally connected to my ISP than my television provider!

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

My TV provider is the internet.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to GeorgeBurger

to GeorgeBurger
Very interesting discussion. What I didn't hear mentioned was that not only do people want to watch what they want, but also when they want to. This is one of the features that has made NetFlix so popular; although they are now offering weekly installments of some shows.

Your Cloud PVR in theory is not a bad idea in that it will work even when a subscriber's internet or power are down; and it doesn't require pre-setting up a specific show to record. It also relieves you of the CBB costs associated with your subscribers downloading multiple simultaneous streams. On the down side, it currently only offers stations that are available over-the-air. To get the remainder of the stations, you'll have to negotiate with those very same dinosaurs who hold on so tightly to their old distribution model. I hope you can accomplish that in not too long a time. In the meantime are you considering an external HDD-based PVR, or at least using an HDD for pause, rewind, fast-forward live TV. That feature shouldn't affect your CBB costs.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Relevant. »theoatmeal.com/comics/ga ··· _thrones