uniqs
shreezbot
Premium Member
join:2014-04-28
USA

1 edit

shreezbot

Premium Member

[Speed Issues] How to get help with intermittent problems?

So I'm an ultra 100 customer and I've been having the same problem for over a year, although it has gotten much worse in the past month and a half.

Basically, what is happening is that my connection speed is dropping to sub 1 mbps (bit not byte) during certain hours. At times that vary from 4pm to 8pm, the connection speed drops and then suddenly gets better again at times that vary from 9pm to 1am. The connection is absolutely unusable during this time. Charter cannot and will not send a technician to investigate during the times I'm having problems, so I'm basically screwed. The technical support guys do not see any problems other than "high ping times" during this time, and they cannot tell me what is going on.

I have a Linux server running a speedtest download at 15 minute intervals, so I have weeks of data showing this pattern (that Charter can't seem to find). I also have done traceroutes during this time, and it is the first hop that is where the slowdown is. I see sub ms response times to my personal router, and then the first hop (10.236.*.1) is hitting over 200ms response times.

So I guess I said all of that to say that I am very frustrated and need some help from someone who can tell me where I can get some help with this. Is there some way that I can approach this to finally get someone to look at it that knows what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

RollTide2011
@68.114.35.x

RollTide2011

Anon

Re: How to get help with intermittent problems?

Where are you located?
What you are describing is common in congested nodes, this will probably resolve its self once your area is upgraded to all digital and more bonded downstream channels are added. In the mean time you may need to upgrade your modem. What modem do you have now? And you nee to run tests directly from your modem not through your personal router since i wouldn't be a Charter supported device.
shreezbot
Premium Member
join:2014-04-28
USA

shreezbot

Premium Member

I'm in 35124 (Pelham, AL)

I have the SMCD3GN2 by SMC networks. It is the business modem because one of the technicians that came out insisted that I had to have a business modem if I am on the Ultra 100 (I know, I know). I know this modem is capable of 8 channel downstream, but it is frustrating because Charter makes it so you can't connect to the modem to see your signal to noise and quality information with this modem.
shreezbot

shreezbot

Premium Member

Re: [Speed Issues] How to get help with intermittent problems?

I know this is probably node saturation, but for instance last night, I had a smoke ping test running and had close to 100% packet loss for several hours. I can understand a degree of node saturation and maybe my connection being cut down to even 10 mbps, but at nearly 100% packet loss, my connection is practically unusable for several hours every single night. Isn't there something that can be done without having to wait for a magical upgrade that could be months away from happening? My connection is unusable every night during the times I most want to use it... Anyone got any ideas of ways that I might be able to approach this with Charter to get it resolved? Tech support is still quite useless and the technicians just keep coming to my house every other day and doing the same ineffective crap (test line, nothing wrong, send ticket to line tech, line tech either shows up or not, ticket gets closed with no resolution).
InTheKnow
join:2013-12-17

InTheKnow

PM me your contact info I'll get someone in the Vestavia Office to contact you to get your problem resolved.