The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

1 edit

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Radius Manager 4

I know a few here use it. Im exploring it myself and moving away from our in-house setup that isn't scaling incredibly well anymore. I wish there was an online demo, so Im asking how others like it. The price isn't the concern, but functionality.
Installing the demo seems like a lot of work just to get a few answers.

Does it have a list of online users, their IP addresses, offline users?
It does support dynamic IP pools?
I don't want it for billing or hotspot.

Thanks!

EDIT: There was an online demo...
Duh..
Few quirks but otherwise I think it will work!
Wonder if the company will throw in a few things for some $$

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore

Premium Member

'Bin using RM3 for 3+ years. Just road testing/deploying RM4 now...

List of online users on/offline; yes if you are using either PPPOE auth, or 'Mikrotik ACL+ Radius Accounting' on your Mikrotik AP or router. Can't say for sure with other vendors gear 'cuz I don't have any, but I'd expect it would be the same.

Will also tell you the last seen time, and last NAS used + throughput stats per CPE. Total online users, total traffic etc.

It supports DHCP/IP pools on the RM4 server but I'd caution you against that idea because of problems with Free Radius itself ... there's like a 5% chance of allocating the same IP to the more than one client.... doesn't happen often but it's a MAJOR PITA when it does. Viktor (RM's Author) readily points this Free Radius shortcoming out if you ask about that feature.

Installation is lengthly but not difficult - takes maybe 2 hours. Certainly nothing like trying to get FreeSide running (OMFG!). Ubuntu is the easiest platform for RM3/4 IMHO.

In case anyone else cares; It works OK for billing, works Very well for Hotspot.

S

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

1 edit

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Thanks!
I have had the problem with the duplicate IPs before. Between working with The guy that does FReeradius and others we did manage to come up with a configuration that virtually eliminated that problem, and could migrate it I think.
Im working thru the installation on CentOS, and Im finding the documentation not great or even incomplete?
Inssomniak

Inssomniak to Semaphore

Premium Member

to Semaphore
Well Im stuck on the install, everything looks OK, the login page comes up, but its blank after that, something to do with ion cube? or the licence files are bad?
Might have to get help

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

If you do the IonCube step and test in the manual and you see the correct output then you're good there. If it's a licence thing you'll see an error to that effect. You do have the .mod and .lic files in the /radiusmanager directory ?

I tried Cent and abandon it. My RM3 is Cent but RM4 didn't like it. Ubuntu worked no problem.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Im a Debian guy, but I used CentOS because it was recommended. :/
The manual lists a test, and says the files are included in the tgz, but aren't actually there?! Im confused.

I do have the files in the radius manager/ directory.
Perhaps it doesn't like vmware ethernet cards?

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

I think you're looking for this file /usr/local/ioncube/loader-wizard.php

Try copying that to your html directory and 'run' it in your browser.

I don't run in a VM so dunno about virtual cards... could be a problem if they see the wrong Mac address I suppose.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
We've been using RM3 for years and RM4 since it came out.

LOVE IT!

I do wish it had some extra "frills" such as graphing and ticketing and a little more customization. But... It's rock solid as it is. The support is also awesome.

We are MT across the network and Ubnt for all radio units. No problems what so ever.

Install is funky, but as pointed out above... OMFG Freeside or anything else for that matter. If you're really worried, they will install it all for you when you buy the license. (As well as update it etc if you ask). The support honestly can't be beat! I think they've passed quite a few freebies on to us over the years that have saved us many headaches.

We run two servers in parallel, one live, the other in a warm start with a daily database backup. Highest level license. Zero problems or glitches, and I mean ZERO. Never locked up, never hung, never bugged... NONE.

That said... Do NOT run any kind of yum update lol. It will hose the box. If you're worried about updates, talk to the RM guys. We installed it and forgot about it. (It does not have internet access.)

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to Semaphore

Premium Member

to Semaphore
Thanks for all the replies. I did get it installed with help from Viktor, missing php-mcrypt package.
I think its going to work well, not looking forward to test and migration though.

I use the address-list radius attribute, hopefully I can figure it all out in RM4

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
Only problem I ever had, and it's my fault not theirs, is that I kept my detailed (not summary) accounting data too long and my radius reply latency got to be seconds. When it got really bad the FreeRadius daemon would bug out and stop. RM recommends you run the cleanup script regularly... I didn't before that, but I learned why and I do now )
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
I was not aware of a cleanup script.

I do have them wipe out the previous year's usage when we do a new years turnaround. (We keep 1 year of usage info, but the past ones are killed off)

What is this cleanup script you speak of fine sir? I insist that you please enlighten me on such a novel tool. For it would save much time and work on my part, and would certainly liberate the diligent RM staff from my ever-lasting flurry of support queries on this subject?

Semaphore
Premium Member

Semaphore

Premium Member

You can use cumulate.sql for annual sumarization and deloldyears.sql to remove previous year's. See pages 70 and 71 of the 3.9 manual. There may be others in 4.x I haven't RTFM'd it yet... just installed it and ported mysql database too it.

In my case the mysql tables got too bloated and the db seek time was causing FR to bug out when a few dozen radius requests hit it at the same time... and a dead Radius server is a bad thing BTW ;-(

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by Semaphore:

and a dead Radius server is a bad thing BTW ;-(

Understatement of the year.

My in house job has always worked well.
But getting it to perform when half of the customers lose power and hundreds come back at the same time has been challenging.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

said by Inssomniak:

getting it to perform when half of the customers lose power and hundreds come back at the same time has been challenging

You just need more RADIUS servers, and sync the DB between them. Thats about the only way to increase your QPS, other than seriously beefing up your boxes and doing some fine tuning of the OS to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it.

Any decent access platform should spray requests across all available RADIUS servers it has configured, reducing the load on any single one of them, and also increasing redundancy incase one fails.
spectrumhead
join:2009-05-03

spectrumhead to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

Thanks!
I have had the problem with the duplicate IPs before. Between working with The guy that does FReeradius and others we did manage to come up with a configuration that virtually eliminated that problem, and could migrate it I think.
Im working thru the installation on CentOS, and Im finding the documentation not great or even incomplete?

Hi Inssominak;
Could you please give some details about what you have done to eliminate the duplicate IP problem ? This is the main reason putting me off of upgrading to RM4.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

I will yes once I dig into RM4 and remember.
I have had some issues with RM4 thats show-stopping me.
The custom radius attributes aren't being sent when used in the "service" and the "user" configurations. Support has been cryptic when I ask.