Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: Firefox dishonesty

said by dave:

I did not knowingly have the maintenance service installed, but if it came by default at some version, I could have missed it.

I don't think I have the service installed either. Double checking right now.

Look at

maintenanceservice_installer.exe
maintenanceservice.exe

in your

Mozilla Firefox folder.

What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Click for full size
I found another Firefox 28 system to play with.

For options, I had "check for updates but let me choose" checked.
I did not have "use background service" checked.
The maintenance service was installed with "manual" start.
I changed it to "disabled".

The Help-About dialogue showed "Check for updates" on the button.
I clicked it, it immediately started downloading the update.
After downloading, the button changed to "Restart to install" with no visible way to tell it not to install anything.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by dave:

After downloading, the button changed to "Restart to install" with no visible way to tell it not to install anything.

Sounds like a bug or just Mozilla telling you that "you can have any version of Firefox you want as long as it's the latest".

I update manually--that is do a "check for updates" when I know one is available.

I've disabled auto-updates for all software I use. I also uninstall any services they've installed. Sometimes I forget to check after updating something. Some programs have a nasty habit of re-installing stuff I've disabled.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I manually update as well. And by manually, I actually manually check the specific webpage to see if an update is available. In the thread that darcilicious See Profile references, I explain in more detail about my manual update process.

Like you, I disable all automatic update items for the software that I use. I also have to go back when I do manually update something to make sure that the software did not add some kind of new automatic update process, or if the automatic update process that I had disabled is now enabled again.

Its a bit more work that's for sure, but at least I know when updates will be installed, and I don't get a surprise if I suddenly have a new version of something.

I would rather look myself at the actual webpage, or read about an update on here then for the software to check for, and automatically download updates.

--Brian

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

I manually update as well.

And by manually, I actually manually check the specific webpage to see if an update is available. In the thread that darcilicious See Profile references, I explain in more detail about my manual update process.

Like you, I disable all automatic update items for the software that I use.

I also have to go back when I do manually update something to make sure that the software did not add some kind of new automatic update process, or if the automatic update process that I had disabled is now enabled again....

Generally, I get the new offline installer for FF and overwrite my current install, and ONLY AFTER backing up my FF profile folder.

And JAVA can be an ornery one to tame.

I have had limited success with the normally prescribed methods of asking tasks politely not to start, so....

To stop it looking for updates, what I usually do is go to Program Files > Common Files > Java > Java Updates , and rename all of the executables in there, and similarly also I rename jqs.exe in the Program Files > Java > JRE7 > Bin folder, so that it will not load part of JAVA when Windows starts up, and will be civilized until I actually reach a web page which NEEDS Java.