Search similar:

uniqs

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

[Content] hd weather channel local on the 8s

Well this morning i woke up to the new HD lo8s, its okay. However for some reason Comcast thinks wayne nj, is close enough to Princeton to share the same weather star. Why not just have one weather star for all of Comcast ?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I've all but given up with weather from Comcast. They seem to think that so long as *some* form of weather information is provided, that info is appropriate.

The weather scan channel here shows info for a city (New Haven, CT) that is in a different climate zone from the local Comcast franchise.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude
More than likely from what i've read, this probably isn't Comcast's fault.

I've heard the HD Intellistar's are even more regional than before.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

I've heard the HD Intellistar's are even more regional than before.

That doesn't surprise me.

The weather channel has been moving away from providing localized weather and towards providing only regional, or super-hyped foul weather programming.

And reality shows, can't forget those timeslot-filling vacuous reality shows.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by camper:

And reality shows, can't forget those timeslot-filling vacuous reality shows.

Actually, TWC is (supposedly) going back to more (actual) weather prog, in lieu of reality shows - thanks in part to DirecTV:

»Weather Channel Returns to DirecTV, Forced to Refocus on Weather

They must be; last night after midnight here, they were (still) doing LIVE weather reporting on all the storms that were happening yesterday...

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by dishrich:

TWC is (supposedly) going back to more (actual) weather prog, in lieu of reality shows

They decreased the amount of reality programming, but did not eliminate it.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

Neither myself nor them said it WOULD be eliminated - nobody is THAT crazy to think that would actually happen!

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

One can hope.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to DaveDude

MVM

to DaveDude
said by DaveDude:

Well this morning i woke up to the new HD lo8s, its okay. However for some reason Comcast thinks wayne nj, is close enough to Princeton to share the same weather star.

Just checked and the Local-on-the-8s is on the HD feed here in Monmouth County now also. The weather info is shown as from Matawan, the same as it was for the SD version.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

4 edits

Dan A

Just checked cable via slingbox. On Comcast of Central New Jersey TWC HD now has local weather for East Brunswick and Trenton no more Heightstown. they also have Weather for "Windsor" but not specifying "East" or "West". "Windsor" in Robbinsville is in Cablevision Territory

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to DaveDude

to DaveDude
when is this coming to the keystone or keystone west region. Still get national feed in hd here. Have to keep it on SD feed to get local on the 8s.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

its really stupid having a 40 mile distance between some of these locations. Remember regional weather ? in the 90s when the weather channel was useful. Im in Princeton, and my weather star says Milford, and Wayne. NJ12 is becoming more and more relevant.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to DaveDude

MVM

to DaveDude
I wonder if Comcast is doing the HD overlay stuff at a central site, then feeding that to local areas. That may be why the HD version seems to be covering larger areas than the SD, and why it may also be more reliable (SD version here has frozen.)