pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: Take some parallels to the music industry

Years ago, when I first subscribed to Dish Network, back IIRC in the 90's. There was an A La Carte offer for $1 per channel. There was a basic fee of something like $5 for the receiver, and $1 per channel. This pre-dates HD.

Very few subscribed.

Karl and others may think A La Carte will sell, but it's already been tried, and failed.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by pandora:

Karl and others may think A La Carte will sell, but it's already been tried, and failed.

Times have changed. It's best to view the internet as a la carte information to the masses. You can pick and choose what you want to consume. Once you view it like that, you can see how a la carte for TV will thrive.
jdofaz
join:2013-04-15
Phoenix, AZ

jdofaz to pandora

to pandora
I remember that too but what you forget is not all the channels were available as al a carte.

I remember reading Dish eliminated that option because eventually too many channels didn't allow being sold al a carte.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by jdofaz:

I remember that too but what you forget is not all the channels were available as al a carte.

I remember reading Dish eliminated that option because eventually too many channels didn't allow being sold al a carte.

I recall evaluating the al a carte vs the packages, and the savings on channels I'd watch were small.

I don't recall which channels were included, but the list excluded HBO, Showtime and what not.
pandora

pandora to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

Times have changed. It's best to view the internet as a la carte information to the masses. You can pick and choose what you want to consume. Once you view it like that, you can see how a la carte for TV will thrive.

Maybe, choice is a good thing, people's preferences change over time. You may be correct, but it seems fair to mention this has happened before.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

I recall evaluating the al a carte vs the packages, and the savings on channels I'd watch were small.

I don't recall which channels were included, but the list excluded HBO, Showtime and what not.

[from SatelliteGuys]

What is DishPix?

Dishpix is a seldom advertised programming alternative on E*. Rather than signing up for a fixed package like the Top40 or Top100CD, you get 10 channels of your choice for $15/month. There are some restrictions on your choices, however. The Disney networks, for instance, are not available as a choice. (Nor are any of the channels sold in premium packages).

The full list of available channels is: A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CBS Eye On People, Classic Sports Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN financial, CNN international, Comedy Central, Country Music Television, Court TV, C-Span, C-Span 2, Discovery Channel, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, EWTN, Family Channel, Game Show Channel, Headline News, History Channel, Home & Garden, Home Shopping Network, KTLA, Learning Channel, Lifetime, MSNBC, Nashville Network, NET, QVC, Sci-Fi Channel, TBN, TBS, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Travel Channel, TV Food Network, USA Network, Weather Channel, WGN, WPIX, WSBK, and WWOR.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by elray:

[from SatelliteGuys]

What is DishPix?

That sounds like it, thanks. I found a link here that may be helpful - »www.satelliteguys.us/thr ··· 29/page3

From one of the posts

DixPix was cool. This was way back when it was AT40. You could pick any 10 stations (except Disney) for $10. I've got an old chart from 96 from a dealer that shows it

AT40 at the time( obviously names have changed)
A&E
Cartoon
CNBC
CNN
CNNI
CNN FN
Comedy
CMT
Court
C-Span
Discovery
E!
ESPN
ESPN2
EWTN
Family Channel
CNN HN
History
HGTV
HSN
Learning
Lifetime
Nashville Network (now Spike)
Nick
QVC
Sci Fi
TBN
TBS
TNT
Travel
TCM
Food Network
USA
VH1
Weather
WGN
WPIX (yes they were in the package)
KTLA (yes they were in the package)

Looks like it was killed in 2010. IIRC when I read about it, there was a minimum of 10 channels for $10, and $1 for each additional channel, plus a $5 receiver charge.