uniqs

TJFriday
join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday

[Cable HSI] Mediacom Increasing Speeds Without Increasing Prices in Early June

Local channel KCCI in Des Moines, Iowa is reporting:

»www.kcci.com/news/mediac ··· 25714272

Pricing remains the same, but speeds increase in all of their markets.

Prime Plus - 50/5 (formerly up to 30/2)
Ultra - 100/10 (formerly 50/5)
Ultra Plus - 150/20 (formerly 105/10)

No word on the impact to the 305/10 offered in test markets. No word on their other tiers of service, either.

Personally, I feel this is good news! Thank you, Mediacom!!!
Klarth
join:2005-09-16
Joplin, MO

Klarth

Interesting.. I wonder if caps will change as well.
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to TJFriday

Premium Member

to TJFriday
Mediacom did add a separate charge of $5.00/month for their supplied cable modem a couple of years ago. Hope they upgrade the 15/1 to 20/2. Another article from 2 weeks ago. »thegazette.com/subject/n ··· 20140415
The 105 speed pkg is supposed to triple according to the Gazette article in Cedar Rapids.

ahent
join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA

ahent to TJFriday

to TJFriday
This is awesome news, I wish I had upgraded, but I didn't and probably won't. I am sad to see the 15mb tier is getting no love, that is what I am on and I think is probably their most popular. I can assume that they are trying to get people to move to upper tiers with this move. I am also curious if the caps are moving.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

1 recommendation

k9iua6 to TJFriday

to TJFriday
They really need to raise the limits, at least the download, on their Launch/Intro tier. Instead of 3 Mbps, it should now be 5, 6, or 7 at least. Either that or lower the price if it remains at 3.

TJFriday
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday to ahent

to ahent
said by ahent:

I am sad to see the 15mb tier is getting no love...

said by Klarth:

I wonder if caps will change as well.

We don't know either for sure, yet. Perhaps someone from Mediacom will be able to chime in and provide more detail beyond what's currently in the press.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 recommendation

MediacomChad to TJFriday

Premium Member

to TJFriday
Hi All! I can confirm that we're increasing those tiers of service mentioned by
TJFriday See Profile:

There's no change to any other tiers at this time, and usage allowances will remain the same. This is a great change; we've increased speeds before without increasing the price to our customers, but I can't recall a time when the speed change was so huge.

Personally, I'm excited. I can't wait to get my 150 megs down at home!

If any of you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out and I'll help however I can!

TJFriday
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday to k9iua6

to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

They really need to raise the limits, at least the download, on their Launch/Intro tier. Instead of 3 Mbps, it should now be 5, 6, or 7 at least. Either that or lower the price if it remains at 3.

Realistically, it's probably unlikely that prices would go down, but more likely that they would increase the speeds on the lowest tier(s).

I'm honestly surprised that they haven't taken this opportunity to reduce the number of tiers they offer. I would have expected that given that so many other MSOs are doing it also. There's a lot of admin/accounting (read: cost + complexity) on the back-end to maintain so many tiers. But the consumers can potentially benefit from the number of choices.
TJFriday

TJFriday to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Thank you for the quick reply from the Mediacom Social Media Relations Team!
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

Riverpilot to TJFriday

to TJFriday
It's good overall, but mediacom still can't even deliver the speeds they have today. I've been on 105 since inception, and STILL haven't seen those speeds.

I won't hold my breath to see anywhere close to 150, or 305.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Awesome news, for $59.95 I now get 50/5 call me happy or for 79.95 100/10 Decisions Decisions....
It's only me though so i'll probably just stay with what I have now which is (soon) 50Mbps
IowaMan

IowaMan to TJFriday

Premium Member

to TJFriday
Wonder if there doing upstream bonding for the 150/20Mbps?

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

I wonder that as well. I would think that you would need more than one channel for upload. Download probably can get away with it, not so sure with upload. Last I checked, I'm still only bonding one upload channel. The 10Mbps is definitely a welcome!
alarson83
join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA

alarson83 to TJFriday

to TJFriday
The problem with raising the lowest tiers is it might be more appetizing for people to downgrade their service if the 'basic' tier was something more. 3mbps is too slow for me, but if it was 7-10 that might be enough to get me to switch down.

Probably the same reason the 15mbps tier isnt going up, people currently in the 30mbps tier might move down.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium Member
Clive, IA

1 recommendation

Radio_Guy to TJFriday

Premium Member

to TJFriday
Mediacom also said that people with existing data service would not be capped. Give it a few months and the other shoe will drop (MediacomChad and the rest of the service/sales team are probably not aware of what upper management has planned).

Sounds like "If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan" to me.

Seems like good news, but I am weary. What is the motivation for Mediacom to raise the data rates? Competition in the area? Complaints or poor service? Justify future Rate hikes?

Will an across the board speed-hike put stress on existing infrastructure in already stressed/oversold markets?

So many questions. Something just doesn't seem right.
Riverpilot
join:2006-12-11

1 recommendation

Riverpilot

Hopefully it means they're getting close to selling. Getting Rocco out of the picture would be good news for everyone.
Magnum3667
join:2013-09-02
Navarre, FL

1 recommendation

Magnum3667 to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
go figure again the 15mb down gets no love while everything else gets upped...mediacom likes to screw people that cant afford their faster teirs of internet service dont they

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Hi All! I can confirm that we're increasing those tiers of service mentioned by
TJFriday See Profile:

There's no change to any other tiers at this time, and usage allowances will remain the same. This is a great change; we've increased speeds before without increasing the price to our customers, but I can't recall a time when the speed change was so huge.

Personally, I'm excited. I can't wait to get my 150 megs down at home!

If any of you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out and I'll help however I can!

Chad, will there be any change to business package speeds w/o price hikes?

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

Wow! this is real good news. First the 4 channel bonding I've been waiting on for... too long, and lowering my monthly payment and still get good speed?

I'm kinda shocked

iowaman10
@71.221.225.x

iowaman10 to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
Confused.
So 30 mb is going to 50 but wll the data limit go from 350 to 999

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to Bierboy

Premium Member

to Bierboy
Hello Bierboy,

At this time I don't have any information on any planned changes for business accounts. I'm looking into this for you and once I have more information I will update you here.

Hello iowaman10,

The usage allowance for each tier hasn't changed.
SteveJobs
join:2012-07-18

SteveJobs to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
I'm very excited for these changes! Thank you Mediacom!

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Bierboy

Premium Member

to Bierboy
I second that information
IowaMan

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
So this means that it'll be 50Mbps with a 350GB usage cap?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That's correct IowaMan. I'm further investigating the business question and once I have more information I will pass it along here.

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy

said by MediacomChad:

...I'm further investigating the business question and once I have more information I will pass it along here.

Thanks Chad...one of the places I work recently signed on to Mediacom biz Internet, so I'm curious...
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to alarson83

to alarson83
said by alarson83:

The problem with raising the lowest tiers is it might be more appetizing for people to downgrade their service if the 'basic' tier was something more. 3mbps is too slow for me, but if it was 7-10 that might be enough to get me to switch down.

Yes, downgrading is certainly a possibility. Yet, Mediacom's primary competition at the 3 Mbps speed, in my opinion, is directly against DSLs. In Iowa at least, so much of the area served by CenturyLink can only get approx. 3 Mbps speeds for DSL (that is certainly the case for my home in Dubuque, as I live too far from the nearest DSLAM, and I live right in town). With Mediacom's price, CL can easily undercut that price with the five-year promotional prices, etc., that they've run. Mediacom either needs to lower their price or raise their speeds above the 3 Mbps threshold. The beauty once a customer is on cable is that speeds can be raised above the minimum tier by just a call to customer service and the ability to pay more; that is not a claim that DSL can make for customers on the margins with these speeds.

iowaman10
@173.24.96.x

iowaman10

Anon

Yes I have already gone down from 105 to 50 and once this upgrade is done will go down to the 30= the new 50
garn91
join:2005-01-15
Ankeny, IA

garn91 to k9iua6

to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

said by alarson83:

Yes, downgrading is certainly a possibility. Yet, Mediacom's primary competition at the 3 Mbps speed, in my opinion, is directly against DSLs. In Iowa at least, so much of the area served by CenturyLink can only get approx. 3 Mbps speeds for DSL (that is certainly the case for my home in Dubuque, as I live too far from the nearest DSLAM, and I live right in town). With Mediacom's price, CL can easily undercut that price with the five-year promotional prices, etc., that they've run. Mediacom either needs to lower their price or raise their speeds above the 3 Mbps threshold. The beauty once a customer is on cable is that speeds can be raised above the minimum tier by just a call to customer service and the ability to pay more; that is not a claim that DSL can make for customers on the margins with these speeds.

I'm on Century Link in Ankeny, just did a speed test and I tested out at 8.76 down and 0.91 up.
implode
join:2009-09-06
Columbia, MO

implode to TJFriday

to TJFriday
Just so I'm clear, Prime tier (15MB) won't be getting any upgrade? This is Iowa only?