JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

LG G2 KitKat battery use/bluetooth

Click for full size
I got the KitKat update on my Verizon G2 a few days ago, maybe a week. Since then I've noticed that battery use has dropped a little bit immediately following that update. Currently I can barely make 36 hours of battery use whereas before the update I could hit 48+ easily. I've hit 100+ during periods of extremely low usage.

Looking at the battery usage I see Bluetooth listed at the number 1 or 2 spot in terms of battery use. The only problem is I don't have Bluetooth on. I've tried turning it on and back off, rebooting, etc. I do have WiFi on as I'm now able to maintain a stable connection to my network instead of eating up my data. That's the only difference I have between the battery usage with the different OSes, WiFi is on now. It's at the very bottom of the usage list, currently sitting at 2% whereas Bluetooth is at 16-18% so I think the errant Bluetooth is causing it.

If I were using Bluetooth I wouldn't care but I'm not and I'd turn it on as needed anyway. I'd much prefer my battery life back lol. I've attached a screenshot of the battery usage list I'm seeing on the phone. GPS/location services also indicate they are on but they aren't. I think that's just a glitch in the display, though before turning on GPS, the Bluetooth symbol was showing there.
JoelC707

JoelC707

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
I didn't even get 36 hours out of it this time. I attached a screenshot showing where it thinks Bluetooth is online. Not sure what to make of this.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
Well if you are using WiFi it should be on the top of that list as it uses more power than Bluetooth. Then again it could just be a software bug that is lumping them together and that is actually your WiFi use if indeed you are using no BT devices.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

That's a good point. I'm charging it now which should reset those "on battery" counters and will turn off WiFi to see what happens the next day or so. Thanks.
JoelC707

JoelC707 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
Well, that would appear to be the case. It's apparently a bug in reporting what is using what but it was definitely the WiFi doing it. I'm back to my normal runtime. I'm at 71% charge after 26h 21m on battery and an estimated 101h 23m remaining (I've only had it actually cross 100h on battery once and that was with little to no usage). Thanks for the tip, didn't even think it was a reporting bug, I just assumed Bluetooth was stuck on for some reason and eating up battery life.

tommy13v
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

tommy13v to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
I love the LG G2 for its battery life. It's the first smartphone I've had where I didn't needed to charge it every night but that habit was hard to break.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Ditto! It was even worse with my Razr before I finally replaced it with the G2. There were times where I had to charge it once or twice during the day and then leave it charging all night too.

tommy13v
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

tommy13v

Premium Member

Yep, I've been there too. With this phone I see no need to do an upgrade for a long while but we'll see.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
How fortunate to see your post. I have the LG G2 on T-mobile and since KitKat am seeing quite a battery drain.

I have Wifi turned Off; Bluetooth turned off -- no hotspots or anything. Still my battery use shows bluetooth using anywhere from 2-9%. What irks me the most is that even if I have my LG G2 turned off when I get in my car, the dashboard tells me it's trying to Sync. Turn phone on, look at the battery and now bluetooth use on the battery is showing 12+% --- when it's turned OFF ??

So confused. Thanks.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I'm currently showing 3% to Bluetooth over the last ~24 hours with neither Bluetooth or WiFi enabled in that time. I've not tried to pair it with anything until now. I have a Bluetooth keyboard so I tried searching for my phone with Bluetooth off - didn't find anything. Then I turned Bluetooth on and set it to be discoverable and rescanned - still didn't find anything. Not sure what to make of that but it's possible the Logitech dongle or software doesn't want to talk to non-Logitech devices.
theFarm
join:2012-09-16
Washington, DC

theFarm

Same experience here. ~4% drain on LG G2 Kitkat t-mobile. No paired peripherals. Inquiries with LG and t-mobile uncovered nothing.

While the battery drain is annoying, I am more concerned that my device is actively networking despite being disabled.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to JoelC707

to JoelC707
factory reset the phones and start over most of the time it will fix these kinds of issues. I always wipe when I upgrade os. Its not like everything isnt stored on the cloud anyway