All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
commandlock
join:2014-04-30

commandlock

[TekTalk] Tektalk diconnection and audio quality issues

We've had Tektalk for about 2 months now, and ever since we've had issues with our phone service.

One problem is that the phone will randomly disconnect when talking to someone. Sometimes this happens once every other day, and sometimes it will happen twice within a span of 10 minutes.

The other issue we have relates to call quality. We sometimes have a hard time listening to people while using the phone... it sounds like there is too much distortion.

Our setup is the following:
Thomson DCM 476 ---> ASUS RT-N56U router ---> Grandstream HT-502

For our internet service, we're using Teksavvy Cable 25 (25 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up)

I have tried for weeks to fix this issue. I've tried updated the firmware on my router, I've tried reverting the firmware on my router to an older version. I've tried reseting all the devices countless times. I've tried putting the Grandstream HT-502 directly after the Thomson DCM 476, but when I did this it completely crippled my internet speed (I could barely load a browser).

Really looking for some solutions to this problem.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

your setup can cause issues

476 then 502.. will give you no voice issues and at those speeds still give you full speeds.

Anyways if no changes you can forward the port you need... 5060 is typically what sip. i'd assign it a forward rule so that port is bound to the ip of the ata and static that ata device on the rt.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to commandlock

Premium Member

to commandlock
Put the HT-502 directly into the modem again but then have a PC connected to the LAN port on the ATA, log in @ 192.168.2.1 with password of 123, go to the basic settings page, click on bridge under Device Mode and Apply that. Connected the router to the LAN port of the ATA now and your speeds should be good after going into bridge mode and the VOIP traffic will not have to go through the NAT of your router so that simplifies your setup.
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by RizzleQ:

Put the HT-502 directly into the modem again but then have a PC connected to the LAN port on the ATA, log in @ 192.168.2.1 with password of 123, go to the basic settings page, click on bridge under Device Mode and Apply that. Connected the router to the LAN port of the ATA now and your speeds should be good after going into bridge mode and the VOIP traffic will not have to go through the NAT of your router so that simplifies your setup.

What Riz said, mostly. Theoretically, you can usually connect the router to the ATA's LAN port before logging into the ATA's interface (192.168.2.1) with a computer and making the aforementioned change. This will reduce the likelihood of running into a MAC lock. If you cannot access the ATA with the computer behind the router, at that point you can remove the router and make the change by connecting the computer directly to the ATA. You can then add the router back and deal with the MAC lock should you run into it.

If bridging the ATA doesn't help things, you may have some sort of mild RF or packet loss problem with the Internet itself, for which you may end up needing to troubleshoot and open a ticket with TekSavvy. Another possibility too is that upstream traffic on your home network (i.e. P2P, gaming, uploading large files) may be saturating your connection, thereby denying your VoIP calls the low-latency, low-jitter consistency that they need to sound clear and stay connected. Fixing this requires you to go back behind your router and enable QoS and maybe port forwarding as well.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

TSI Kris to commandlock

Premium Member

to commandlock
Hey there!

The advice given to you by Angelo, RizzleQ and DigitalRain is all absolutely fantastic. If you're still running into this issue after their advice, please do not hesitate to give us a shout over in the »/fo ··· avdirect forums!

EDIT: Should you decide to do some port forwarding, here are the ports you would want to forward: 5060 to 5080 & 16384 to 16482

Thanks,

TSI Kris
commandlock

commandlock

Thank you all for your suggestions.

So I tried to connect the modem directly to the ATA HT-502, and the ATA HT-502 to the router (this was after I went into the ATA HT-502 settings and selected "bridge" mode, as suggested by RizzleQ).

My internet worked fine... but the phone stopped working all together. I had to put the ATA HT-502 back behind the router to get the phone working again.

I've enabled port forwarding for the ports suggested by TSI Kris. I'll reply back in a little while to see if it has made any difference with my tektalk phone experience.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to TSI Kris

Premium Member

to TSI Kris
Hi Kris.

If he has a HT-502, why do you recommend he forward 16384-16482?

m.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

TSI Kris

Premium Member

Hey Mango, I believe those are some of the ports being used. That said, I'm actually not at work right now and can't check, so if I made an error I am more than glad to hear it corrected!

Thanks,

TSI Kris
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

The Grandstream's HT-502's default Local RTP Port is 5004. Of course - this can be changed, so perhaps your provisioning sets this to the default Linksys port number 16384 to keep things consistent.
AringSTA
join:2014-03-06

AringSTA to commandlock

to commandlock
Given all the problems that NAT brings to VoIP, is there any plans to upgrade the TekTalk service to IPv6, obviously when the IPv6 beta program is no longer beta.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to commandlock

to commandlock
said by commandlock:

My internet worked fine... but the phone stopped working all together. I had to put the ATA HT-502 back behind the router to get the phone working again.

When you bridge the ATA, there should be an IP assigned to both the ATA and your router.
If only the router worked, you might be 'mac locked' to that router.

Make sure you try and power cycle the modem then ata.
Also, what cable provider territory are you in? videotron/rogers/cogeco/shaw?
commandlock

commandlock to Angelo

to Angelo
Having spent time reviewing all of your suggestions over the last week or so, I have come back with a progress update.
said by Angelo:

your setup can cause issues

476 then 502.. will give you no voice issues and at those speeds still give you full speeds.

Anyways if no changes you can forward the port you need... 5060 is typically what sip. i'd assign it a forward rule so that port is bound to the ip of the ata and static that ata device on the rt.

I put the HT-502 behind the DCM 476, and I also portforwaded to 5060, while assigning a static IP address. While the internet worked, the phone did not.
said by RizzleQ:

I did this as well. I logged into the HT-502 after connecting it directly to the modem, and then directly to my PC. I selected bridge settings and applied. I then connected the router to the LAN of the HT-502. Interestingly, my phone did actually work for about an hour... then it stopped working all of a sudden. The internet continued to function in this setup, however.
said by TSI Kris:

EDIT: Should you decide to do some port forwarding, here are the ports you would want to forward: 5060 to 5080 & 16384 to 16482

I did this as well, and still no luck getting the HT-502 to work directly behind my modem.
said by oceros37:

When you bridge the ATA, there should be an IP assigned to both the ATA and your router.
If only the router worked, you might be 'mac locked' to that router.

Make sure you try and power cycle the modem then ata.
Also, what cable provider territory are you in? videotron/rogers/cogeco/shaw?

I assigned a static IP to the HT-502, but I'm not sure how I would assign a static IP to the router. Also, I live in rogers territory.

So, overall, thank you all for your suggestions. However, nothing seemed to change. I wasn't able to get the HT-502 to work at all when directly behind my modem, and I have had to put it back behind my router to get it working at all. I still get the phone disconnecting during calls for no reason, even when I am not doing anything else on my network (downloading or uploading)

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by commandlock:

I did this as well. I logged into the HT-502 after connecting it directly to the modem, and then directly to my PC. I selected bridge settings and applied. I then connected the router to the LAN of the HT-502. Interestingly, my phone did actually work for about an hour... then it stopped working all of a sudden. The internet continued to function in this setup, however.

Odd. I'm not sure exactly how the rogers DHCP server works but you did show it 3 devices overall there. It saw the ATA, then you bridged it with the PC attached, so it also saw the PC, then you changed to router, resulting in a 3rd attempt at a DHCP lease. I don't think that would be a big deal - aside from needing to power cycle the modem, but it is a bit fishy with the ATA losing connectivity.
said by commandlock:

I assigned a static IP to the HT-502, but I'm not sure how I would assign a static IP to the router. Also, I live in rogers territory.

I meant there should be an IP assigned automatically / via DHCP, to both your ATA and router. Setting a static IP to the ata will not work. Cable internet needs to be auto/DHCP for the WAN ip side.

Re-reading your orig post, there might be something else going on aside from the ata being behind a router. A failing ethernet cable or port on the ATA / router could be the wrench in the works.

If it were me, I'd run ping tests for packet loss. Test modem->PC, and swap in and retest with all the ethernet cords you are using for your setup. Then retest using the known good ethernet cords with the setup: modem->ata->pc .. aaand then modem->router.

Something is definitely wrong.

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to commandlock

to commandlock
Hey commandlock

I have our Tektalk set up as Modem Thompson 476 --> Router --> ATA Cisco 122. I have not had any issues like you are having nor do i have any ports forwarded. I do have some questions for you.

Do you know if QOS is turned on on your router. If not you might want to turn it on and give Voip priority. Have you tried a phone connected directly to the ATA to see if the problems exists there, therefore eliminating your house wiring? What kind of phone service did you have prior to Tektalk?

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to commandlock

to commandlock
I get the feeling something deeper is going wrong because of :
said by commandlock:

I've tried putting the Grandstream HT-502 directly after the Thomson DCM 476, but when I did this it completely crippled my internet speed (I could barely load a browser).

If you still had connectivity but it was cripplingly slow, this sounds like there could be packet loss either due to the ATA, or a failing ethernet cable. With the extra piece of equipment that would require adding another ethernet cable to the mix - perhaps a bad one.
commandlock

commandlock

So, over the last 2 weeks I have had no issues with my TekTalk phone. The connection is clear, and the phone no longer disconnects.

The people that posted on this forum helped me out a lot. I don't know which suggestion(s) fixed my phone issues, but something got it working properly after months of issues.

Thank you all!