MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

[DIRECTV] AT&T approached DirecTV about possible acquisition

From the FWIW department...
quote:
AT&T has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition of the satellite TV firm, say people familiar with the situation, the latest sign of a possible shake-up in the television industry.
»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 14-05-01

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

1 recommendation

ilikeme

Premium Member

Hopefully this does not happen.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
They have no money to upgrade their DSL network to provide full ADSL2+ service to all their POTS customers stuck on dial-up, but they have money to buy a satellite based pay TV provider?

Since Comcast-NBC and Sirius-XM were illogically approved, this will probably get approved also.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes

Premium Member

David when they say "we have no money to do that" they mean, "they do not need an upgrade, they have fast enough as it is and most of them are stupid" so basically, the money is used for stupid purchases, like this

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
No what they mean is its not economically attractive to upgrade.

Low population density and a large spread out infrastructure build out to pay back.

Key West was one of the first places in FL to get DSL outside of MIA/FTL back in 2000 because it is such compact high density market. It was several years later before the other much more rural Keys got it, but again as it was a long straight line at most a half mile wide, still not a big build out expense, just a few RTs between the CO's

Its same with cable they will not go where there aren't several homes in block or so distance and/or spread out it costs to much to make back quickly enough or before the equipment is obsolete/worn out.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
I agree with ilikeme
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
Maybe it is different in my old Bell South territory, but the new AT&T seems to ignore the miles of their fiber optic cables in central Georgia that run very close to residences and businesses. The cost argument does not ring true to me in these situations. Somehow they have managed to install cellular wireless towers quite close by that probably use the same fiber optic cables, but putting in some remote DSLAMS is impossible for them. The lousy company even has that National Broadband Map fooled into showing them providing wired ADSL service to the main area in Monroe County I am thinking of. With all the money they spend on buying other companies, bribing politicians, and gifting "news" reporters, they could afford to provide full ADSL2+ to every one of their twisted pair POTS customers in Georgia who have fiber optic cables that pass that close to their houses or businesses.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

They (AT&T) southwest bell will do what they want no matter

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

With all the money they spend on buying other companies, bribing politicians, and gifting "news" reporters,

Heck if they wanted they could provide quad line bonded DSL
Cisco even has a EHWIC that accepts a RJ45 for 4 DSL lines to be bonded with, that would get better speeds to even the people far from the DSLAM but nope they aren't going to do DSL bonding.

AT&T is a crap company
oh the issues with the fiber to a business I saw I could list what a nightmare.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
As a satisfied DirecTV customer, this would be a complete disaster.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Looks like it's a done deal pending approval...

»www.usatoday.com/story/m ··· 9247795/

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Well...it was fun while it lasted I guess.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
The price will go up no matter if the deal goes thru or not- $ of everything goes up