share rss forum feed

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1

KitKat on Verizon GS4

I got the upgrade notification for my phone today. I have decided to defer the upgrade for now. For anyone who has gone through it, what can I expect? Any issues with apps? Any other changes I will need to be aware of?

Thanks.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

I tried the update right away. Initially I was unable to send texts but it came clear after I restarted. Haven't had time to check out the new google now features.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to unknvoip

Thanks for the note!

Looking forward to this so I can try out the new camera app from Google.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to unknvoip

Updated. No issues.

But I don't have txt messaging. So I can't comment on that.

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to hoyleysox

Facebook has been running really slow for me on both WiFi and 4g. it clocks for over a minute when I click on comments.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
Rochester, NY
reply to unknvoip

Thanks for the responses. I have heard there are changes to how the SD card is handled. Has anyone dealt with those sort of issues?

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

SD changes can be an issue for 3rd party apps that want to write to the SD card in a directory they didn't create. An example is if you store pics on a SD directory and you want a 3rd party camera app to wrute to it, it can't. It can write to a SD directory it created if it's configured to create one. Pretty annoying though if you are rooted there are some options to override it.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to unknvoip

I backed up my phone and SD card and went ahead with the update. I don't seem to have any issue with any of my apps that used the SD card.

The one thing I have noticed is my battery seems to drain almost twice as fast as before. Google Services is the top offender in my list for what is using battery.

I'm off the the android forums for ideas as to what I can try to turn off. 40% drain over an 8 hour period when the phone is hardly used is ridiculous.

dlathem
Premium
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to unknvoip

I was given no notice on the KK upgrade on May 3rd. My S4 is running slower and my contacts and calender do not sync correctly when I add or remove something from my phone. Verizon has been unable to correct the problem and says I should wait until the Kit Kat patch to fix problems. Gee Thanks Verizon.....the reason I dumped the Thunderbolt is they and HTC pushed out a new version of the software that almost turned it into a BRICK. I hope they don't do this with the S4.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to unknvoip

I have the SIII and just now got the message to update. I'm installing it now. I just hope they fixed the lag/slowness when opening an app for typing in your code to enter the phone.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to unknvoip

Yup, my mini I435 (S4 Mini - VZN) was updated to 4.4.2. Not really sure what changes there were, nothing really stands out (y'all might know). What I do know is that my RAM use is cut down by at least 30% while sitting idle. That's a good thing.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I updated my S3. So far so good. The phone definitely feels more responsive and LTE seems more stable, although I managed to get the phone to kernel panic and reboot today. Then again, I was doing something very stupid and caused the phone's RAM to fill up

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it

join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to unknvoip

You inspired me to install 4.4.4 on my galaxy nexus 4. love it!
»rootzwiki.com/topic/36706-romaos···-ktu84p/
--
Go desiel

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by marathonmike:

You inspired me to install 4.4.4 on my galaxy nexus 4. love it!

Umm... not sure if we're talking about a rooted KitKat or factory. I know that my response is based on a factory OTA update to 4.4.2. I was pretty close to rooting, but either patience or procrastination got me factory without prompt.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you Mr. Munafiq

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

I updated my S3. So far so good. The phone definitely feels more responsive and LTE seems more stable, although I managed to get the phone to kernel panic and reboot today. Then again, I was doing something very stupid and caused the phone's RAM to fill up

When I go into task manager and clear memory, it now sometimes clear down to 600 and some odd megs. Before, it wouldn't budge at all. And yes, it is far more responsive than before. I use a pin code to access my phone (job requirement) and it allows me to key in the code instead of having to wait a few seconds to do that before. Texting is slighter better than before, but I still hit wrong letters which gets me pissed. Overall, this is a better change than the previous iteration.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I'm hoping the new compiler and rendering engine comes to the S3 in another Android update before Samsung decides to EoL the device. Right now with the way the Java framework in Android works, applications are compiled on the fly, which is quite slow. Apparently for those using dev versions of Android on Nexus devices, they're seeing a huge performance improvement thanks to both a new rendering engine, and a new compiler which compiles apps against your specific phone during install. If anything I see that further improving the Android image on the S3.