spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

Low Lifes

from what i have seen most of these peer to peer music sharing services are all putting something on your machine, which of course is how they get income. some of these "services" are poorly written and cause computer crashes etc. there was a piece in pc magazine a few issues ago about these "phone home" and "ad popup" programs.

when will people realise that there is no free lunch with these services. lets face it they are probably letting users do illegal stuff anyway so whats a little bit of spyware between friends.

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside

As far as I can tell WinMX is spyware free. You just have to do your homework before going to one of these P2P programs. I think this stuff is old news as I have heard about spyware in Kazaa a long time ago when reading individuals commenting on it. The TOS is probably the same one as I think that's what people were saying about it back then. Same goes for Morpheus.

mags2
Agent Provocateur
join:2001-07-19
SoCal

mags2 to bgraham2

to bgraham2
said by bgraham:
lets face it they are probably letting users do illegal stuff anyway...
I take issue with your statement. What is this illegal stuff to which you are referring?
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

isn't there some legal issues with these p2p mp3 file sharing services regarding copyrighted material?

mags2
Agent Provocateur
SoCal

mags2

The only legal issues that exist to my knowledge are that the RIAA & Hollywood would like nothing better than to make all digital content and the uses of any PVRs (personal video recorders) including pc's explicitly under their control so that you & I cannot make copies or record anything we see or hear without first having to fork over more money for the privilege. I'm not aware of anything specifically illegal that people may be committing by sharing files which is what your post alluded to. I was asking because your statement led the reader to conclude that you know something with regard to this matter that everyone else -including myself- apparently does not.

hld3
Humm Baby
join:2000-09-12
San Francisco, CA

hld3

said by mags2:
I'm not aware of anything specifically illegal that people may be committing by sharing files which is what your post alluded to.

Well, then I guess you're in the dark. Pretty much the whole alt.binary.* hierarchy on Usenet is in violation of copyright laws. There have been numerous groups abandoned and many poster's have had attorney's threaten them for copyright violations. A few poster's have even actually gotten busted for copyright violations. The suze (Suze Randall) groups are a prime example of this.

To put it simply, sharing mp3's, videos, and photographs is illegal if someone owns the copyright to them. The same thing can be said of the activity in the warez groups too.

mags2
Agent Provocateur
SoCal

mags2

Copyright Police

said by hld3:

To put it simply, sharing mp3's, videos, and photographs is illegal if someone owns the copyright to them. The same thing can be said of the activity in the warez groups too.

Well then I guess the copyright police are going to have to go out and have everyone who trades music digitally & populates the various illegal usenet groups arrested & thrown in jail. And as long as we're rounding up the violaters, I hope that you are going to personally chuck your VCR -as well as all other devices that are able to record- because everything at some point in time was created by someone else and eventually copyrighted, including Victor Hugo's idea of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, which Disney -now crying copyright foul with the rest of the digital copyright oligopoly- took & distorted into a ridiculous cartoon. Had the DMCA been in existence at the time, Disney and others like them would be SOL. So next time, don't be so quick to defend the status quo of the RIAA and other corrupt corporate entities.

SRFireside
Houston, TX

SRFireside to hld3

to hld3

Re: Low Lifes

said by hld3:
Chucking everyone into the same category just because they use mp3's is a flawed conclusion. Just because people are creating mp3's ripping CD's from them and even sharing them doesn't mean copyright violations happen ALL the time. I would say over 90% of the mp3's in my computer are either from CD's I already own or are songs no longer available on any national record label catalog. Yes I have copywritten songs I didn't pay for. Yes I have bought lots of CD in direct response of me enjoying those coywritten songs. Let not forget most artists seem to advocate file sharing. This law is attacking ALL of the users of digital recording technology including completely legitimate users, the occasional pirate (which didn't seem to be a big deal until recently), and the extremely cheap "I won't spend a dime if I can get it for free" user.

Mags it's interesting you should bring up Disney and copyright. I was talking to my friends yesterday and it turns out none of us could find a single Disney animated feature film that was actually an original story other than Fantasia. It seems all the ideas from their big animated movies were taken from something else whether it be an author, fairy tale or flat out from another movie. So much for their cries of protecting the artist.

mags2
Agent Provocateur
SoCal

mags2

said by SRFireside:
Mags it's interesting you should bring up Disney and copyright. I was talking to my friends yesterday and it turns out none of us could find a single Disney animated feature film that was actually an original story other than Fantasia. It seems all the ideas from their big animated movies were taken from something else whether it be an author, fairy tale or flat out from another movie. So much for their cries of protecting the artist.

Would you really expect anything less from these hypocrites. They "borrowed" all of the old material from other artists -Hunchback & Snow White to name a few- copyrighted it for themselves calling it their own, then paid off Congress to push a law into effect to guard their hegemony.

hld3
Humm Baby
join:2000-09-12
San Francisco, CA

hld3

Are you guys feeling a little bitter today? All I did was say that it *is* against the law. I didn't say I agreed with it, or that it was right! mags2, you jumped harshly on brgraham for making a simple comment. And then you jumped on me for "defending the status quo of the RIAA", which I did not do. Why?

And SRFireside, did I say anything at all about people burning mp3's for their own pleasure/use? No, I didn't! I talked about sharing them. Which technically happens to be illegal.

BTW - I happen to have about a terabyte of copyrighted material I've downloaded from Usenet over the years. And I have posted quite a bit of copyrighted material too. So next time, please read what is said a little more carefully before you jump on someone

SRFireside
Houston, TX

SRFireside

said by hld3:
And SRFireside, did I say anything at all about people burning mp3's for their own pleasure/use? No, I didn't! I talked about sharing them. Which technically happens to be illegal.
Well technically file sharing in of itself is not illegal either. As you stated sharing copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner is. I write music and have songs I have written on mp3. When I share them or allow others to pull them off of WinMX it is perfectly legal as I allow it. Lots of songs that are being shared are done so by the owner's consent. I am still taking this illegal file sharing deal with a grain of salt as copyright law states you have to pay royalties when you profit off of copywritten materials. Me passing a song from Meat Beat Manifesto that I want to share doesn't make me any profit.

But as you have said these are all semantics. To be honest it's not you personally that I am sparring with, just the issue brought forth. The best thing about DSLR is challenging views and opinions brought up. I brought up a point didn't specifically address, being this new bill will affect legitimate users. We can disagree on the execution of my point. But don't begrudge me because work is boring today
n7mft
join:2001-10-02
Sherwood, OR

n7mft to SRFireside

to SRFireside
Spyware free for now. But when they get there user base up and come under fire for there part in file sharing then they will need the money to defend what they are doing.