plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Firefox dishonesty

I manually update as well. And by manually, I actually manually check the specific webpage to see if an update is available. In the thread that darcilicious See Profile references, I explain in more detail about my manual update process.

Like you, I disable all automatic update items for the software that I use. I also have to go back when I do manually update something to make sure that the software did not add some kind of new automatic update process, or if the automatic update process that I had disabled is now enabled again.

Its a bit more work that's for sure, but at least I know when updates will be installed, and I don't get a surprise if I suddenly have a new version of something.

I would rather look myself at the actual webpage, or read about an update on here then for the software to check for, and automatically download updates.

--Brian

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

I manually update as well.

And by manually, I actually manually check the specific webpage to see if an update is available. In the thread that darcilicious See Profile references, I explain in more detail about my manual update process.

Like you, I disable all automatic update items for the software that I use.

I also have to go back when I do manually update something to make sure that the software did not add some kind of new automatic update process, or if the automatic update process that I had disabled is now enabled again....

Generally, I get the new offline installer for FF and overwrite my current install, and ONLY AFTER backing up my FF profile folder.

And JAVA can be an ornery one to tame.

I have had limited success with the normally prescribed methods of asking tasks politely not to start, so....

To stop it looking for updates, what I usually do is go to Program Files > Common Files > Java > Java Updates , and rename all of the executables in there, and similarly also I rename jqs.exe in the Program Files > Java > JRE7 > Bin folder, so that it will not load part of JAVA when Windows starts up, and will be civilized until I actually reach a web page which NEEDS Java.