Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

3 recommendations

orion940 to Ronnie_USA

Premium Member

to Ronnie_USA

Re: [FireFox] FireFox 29

I have used Firefox since the start, but now I'm in the "FF29 sucks" club. There are too many annoyances, the back and forward buttons glued to the URL, the reload button moved, the plethora of add-ons you have to install to get it looking something like it used to.

I found Palemoon and it is the former UI, which I like. On Souceforge, there's a Palemoon for Linux project, which is relatively easy to install with the script.

FWIW, I came across some forums where the FF developers come across as arrogant and "knowing" what people want. This was M$ downfall for me, and it's Mozilla's downfall now.

O.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

2 recommendations

rchandra

Premium Member

of course. They've become a lot like Canonical, Apple, and Google. It's along the lines of "we know what you want better than, and before, you do." And a lot of the time, they're dead wrong. They put in (mis)features ostensibly to fix some esoteric "problem" and instead make things worse for the masses. It's done under the banner of "being innovative." Such "innovations" are liked by a minority, and a lot of times piss off the majority. So what they're trying to accomplish is difficult to discern.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to orion940

to orion940
> I came across some forums

What forums were these?
Sup Foo (banned)
join:2014-05-01
Denver, CO

Sup Foo (banned) to orion940

to orion940
said by orion940:

I have used Firefox since the start, but now I'm in the "FF29 sucks" club.

x2

Been running it since day one and am really disappointed in this release. This may be a case of "some people have too much time on their hands". As some suggested, installed "Classic Theme Restorer" to solve some things.

I will be generous here an remain cautiously optimistic that the next update is better.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to therube

Premium Member

to therube
said by therube:

What forums were these?

The Mozilla forums: »support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· s/997009

O.

DogPonyShow
@50.80.49.x

DogPonyShow to orion940

Anon

to orion940
I can see why some view the FF developers less than positive. Feedback expressed over the dislike of the new layout and a FF developer behind the new design asks the member to try and continue using the new layout because the new layout is a result of their research and interviews. To the user reporting their opinion of dislike, they could care less that some others liked the new layout. Not everyone is the same.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yeah, I didn't find anything "arrogant" about the response from the developer. Short of, "okay we'll change it back", there's nothing the developers could say that will please the people who don't like this version (regardless of how long they've tried, etc).

Most people don't like change and they don't mind being vocal about it. That doesn't mean change can't be for the better.

And while not everyone is the same, user testing when done correctly will meet the needs of the vast majority.

Honestly, I've been using v29 since it went beta and I don't have any issues using for what's been built for: to browse the web. I find it kind of silly that it does look a lot like Chrome but in the end, I'm staring at the content for most of the time, not the tabs, not my bookmarks bar, and not the addon/status bar...
jamesfengcao
join:2004-10-30
San Carlos, CA

jamesfengcao to orion940

to orion940
It is even worse that ff29 is more bloated.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by jamesfengcao:

It is even worse that ff29 is more bloated.

How so?