Search similar:

uniqs

Vertigo
@216.165.225.x

Vertigo to RangoJackson

Anon

to RangoJackson

Re: [TV] TWC going all-digital in SoCal

In Arcadia (San Gabriel Valley system), all channels now automatically tune to the HD version with Navigator boxes. No more having to go into the 300-400 channels to watch HD. It makes the National Channel Lineup less necessary. I'm unsure if iGuide boxes have migrated to this as well.

All upgrades must be limited to Internet speeds as there have been no new HD channels introduced.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Vertigo :

All upgrades must be limited to Internet speeds as there have been no new HD channels introduced.

New HD channels also depend on agreements with the broadcaster in question. A HD feed will need to be supplied to Time Warner, which costs money, which means negotiations, etc, etc.... HD channels will show up from time to time.
arvy
join:2014-06-28
USA

1 recommendation

arvy to Vertigo

to Vertigo
Arcadia here too with a Motorola DCX3400 and iGuide and channel 5 stays on 5 - doesn't auto switch to 405. The same goes for 11 and all the HDs. Maybe soon...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

It's a Navigator guide feature at the moment. Iguide won't do it until the NCL is rolled out.
Stevemario
join:2014-07-29
Sun Valley, CA

Stevemario to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA
I live in Sun Valley, part of TWC's East San Fernando Valley area. so far I've gotten analog cable channels (non-local) replaced by the digital tuner advertisement but no replacement found on 2 digital capable tvs.

In particular, my mom watched Galavision, but she can't now; my sister watched MTV, but she can't now; I rarely watch tv but I would occasionally watch MSNBC for a few minutes, ...but I can't now. Also, a year or two ago my sister told me about no longer getting ABC Family anymore. :/

this weekend I rescanned on my moms tv. then, I deleted duplicates, shopping channels, on demand advertisement channels, "poster" channels and some asian languages' channels (LA 18.) I ended up with less than 15 cable channels:

Local:
2.1 CBS
4.1 NBC
5.1 KTLA
7.1 ABC
9.1 KCAL
11.1 FOX
13.1 KCOP
18.52 HGTV //1
18.84 ESPN2 //2
19.87 Cartoon Network //3
19.89 Animal Planet //4
19.92 Travel //5
22.1 Mundo FOX
22.2 Super22
23.35 A&E //6
23.47 Bravo //7
23.48 FX //8
28.1 KCET HD
28.2 KCET-Ln
28.3 KCET-Vme
30.1 ion
32.59 AMC //9
32.62 Lifetime //10
32.63 Nickelodeon //11
34.1 Univision
46.1 Unimas
50.1 PBS
50.2 PBSplus
50.3 Daystar
50.4 PBS world
52.1 Telemundo
54.1 KAZA-DT
56.1 KDOC
57.1 KJLA SD
58.1 KLCS-1
62.1 EstrellaTV
63.1 KBEH-DT
63.7 KBEH DT (TLR)
64.1 KHIZ
93.190 Univision East //12
93.191 Unimas East //13
95.102 ?
95.105 ?
95.135 35 LA CITY VIEW
95.136 36 LA
100.206 getTV //14? idk

additionally my sister gets RT news channel and WGN, but my mom doesnt.

does anyone know if TWC's digital box will restore channels? or is it only for TVs that dont have a digital tuner?

if TWC ended up making more channels available through digital channels my dad could get rid of the box we have in the living room costing $10/mo. I also think its pretty cool reading some of your posts about how HD will be default. I facepalm so much at my relatives that don't use HD in our house. on my sister's TV atleast, by deleting the analog local channels, entering one of those numbers will get to digital HD version. doesn't work on my mom's though.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA
Look like they start killing ClearQam in my area.
What I currently get right now
Thats it lol. Most of oddball/shopping channels disappear. Are they planning to kill the local channels too?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by PowerMac:

Are they planning to kill the local channels too?

Yep, all of it is getting encrypted at some point. They don't want to leave any incentive for people to steal cable and cause all the issues poor connections introduce.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

maartena to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
said by PowerMac:

Look like they start killing ClearQam in my area.
What I currently get right now
Thats it lol. Most of oddball/shopping channels disappear. Are they planning to kill the local channels too?

So KCAL 9.1 and MyNetworkTV 13.1 are already encrypted?

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to Stevemario

to Stevemario
said by Stevemario:

does anyone know if TWC's digital box will restore channels?

Yes, a DTA will bring back Galavision, MTV, and MSNBC. And you'll get any non-SDV channels in HD. In my area, Galavision HD and MSNBC HD are SDV, so if it's the same for you, you won't get them in HD. But MTV HD is not, so you would get that in HD.
said by Stevemario:

if TWC ended up making more channels available through digital channels my dad could get rid of the box we have in the living room costing $10/mo.

Unfortunately the opposite is happening and you'll have to get a box. If you're not interested in recording, you could get a Samsung GX-SM530CF and only pay the $3/month CableCard rental fee (plus have access to internet video services on your TV).
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

1 edit

spdickey to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA
No more analogs here in 90272. My spare bedroom old analog only TV is now totally useless with Get Your Channel Back on every remaining analog signal.

Rescanned HDTV set and getting 49 analogs (all with the same message slide) and 52 some-odd QAM digitals, all in the clear, including SD and HD versions of all broadcast stations. But the old 2-1, 5-2 etc channel mapping is gone.

Imagine what they'll able to do with 49 full QAM channels of bandwidth once the analogs are turned down?
arvy
join:2014-06-28
USA

arvy

91007 with 96 digital and 0 analog channels on a scan tonight.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Vertigo

Premium Member

to Vertigo
said by Vertigo :

In mid June, the National Channel Lineup will go into effect for SoCal. For more information on the new lineup, go here:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· els.html

FYI, new dates are shown. My areas show "as of". :/
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to Andy from CA

to Andy from CA
Just rescanned my clear QAM TV. Now getting only 2 analog channels (2 and 70) both in black. And now 96 (!) clear QAM channels. Looks mostly like broadcasters and their secondary channels in the clear. TWC letter just received today 06/17 now says 09/17 for the new channel line-up.

Now with 3-69 cleared of signals, hopefully MAXX will be here soon. The CLU change will now only entail channel mapping changes, and lots of phone calls from confused subscribers.

»Re: Channel lineup delayed...

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

In order for a area to get Maxx do they need to shut down off all the analog channels?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by tonyram57:

In order for a area to get Maxx do they need to shut down off all the analog channels?

No, it's a separate project.

These are independent projects:
1. Maxx 300/20
2. National Channel Lineup (NCL)
3. Go all digital (drop analog).
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by DocDrew:

No, it's a separate project.

I don't expect to get Maxx until after the analogs are dropped. Maxx requires more bandwidth, hence the dropping of the analogs.

So far at my location, TWC has done things the opposite as you listed.

1) Drop analog (getting more bandwidth) happened this week.
2) Channel realignment (date announced. Could be done anytime, but easier once all subs have at least DTAs, which means the analog switch forces them on us).
3) Maxx. Hasn't happened here, nor date annonced, yet. But now that the analogs are gone, the bandwidth can be repurposed at anytime.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

I didn't number them in any particular order. I just numbered them as separate projects.

Different areas have had them done in different orders, most aren't done with all of it yet. I know of a couple areas that launched Maxx before dropping analogs.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

Not necessarily, no, they are separate projects. But it does seem that they are removing analogue around the same time they are upgrading for MAXX, so maybe they are just swatting two flies in one swat. Basically, it might be more efficient for them to do certain things at the same time.

From what I can gather, the areas that have received the MAXX upgrades, also have had their analogue channels removed. Anaheim just finished with the removal and all-digital conversion, and now is sending out notices that MAXX is coming soon.