join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

BASIC at 50

Happy 50th, BASIC!
»www.dartmouth.edu/basicf ··· sic.html

I programmed in Applesoft BASIC on the Apple ][+, in the late 70s/early 80s.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

I programmed in Applesoft BASIC in the 80s as well, on the Apple //e. Wrote some text adventure games, some demos in HGR mode, and ran a BBS based on Warp6, which used Applesoft BASIC as the underlying platform. It's crazy to think how limited things were then compared to "contemporary" computing.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by sbconslt:

It's crazy to think how limited things were then compared to "contemporary" computing.

And amazing how much could be done even with those limitations. (8-bit, 48K RAM, and floppy drives!)

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Well, it took some imagination. Console was 40 cols wide and you had to buy an add-on card to get 80 cols. Low res GR mode was 40x40 "pixels" (giant blocks really) in 15 colors. High res HGR mode was 280x160 pixels in 6 colors. So much time I wasted messing around in that little space, but I learned a lot.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Wily_One

to Wily_One
Man I remember those BASIC programming days on the Commodore PET...

Had to get the numbering right, had it (almost) literally drilled into my head to avoid "spaghetti" code...

Add to that having to save the bloody programs on tape.

NefCanuck

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Wily_One

MVM

to Wily_One
Played with BASIC on the Commodore 64. I guess that would have been late 70s or early 80s (??).

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I first played with BASIC at the University of Washington in 1980 during a two-week summer program for incoming high school seniors interested in engineering. Luckily enough, my high school taught BASIC computer programming that year and that got me in as a teacher assistant at Atari Computer Camps for a couple of summers while I was in college... Fun times

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Wily_One

to Wily_One

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
I miss line numbers... and gosubs... and popping and pushing into stacks..

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
I was in the first computer course ever held in my high school, and BASIC was the language we learned.

We saved the programs on punch tape to send them to a mainframe located in a college in Massachusetts, and printed them out on thermal paper. I probably saved some, but I'm sure the type has disappeared by now.

jcnj38
I LIKE TWITTER
Premium Member
join:2002-04-13
Earlington, KY

jcnj38 to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
Learned it on a TRS80 in high school 1983.

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
Started with a course in Basic on a VAX/VMS system circa 1983 (I think)

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to Wily_One

to Wily_One
I taught myself BASIC on my happy little Color Computer 2. Took the class in high school (wow, am I dating myself here ) and surprised the teacher by doing several things he insisted you couldn't do.

Kids these days don't know about making people angry with computers. Back in those days, all you had to do was use a GOTO line in front of a purist to see true rage.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
Your post reminded me of the time I used to have an IBM PCjr with BASIC, Crossfire, and ColorPaint on a ROM cartridge.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

That reminds me - Atari had a BASIC cartridge for the original Atari 2600. This was circa 1979.

I got it, and wrote a few simple programs. The downside, of course, was there was zero storage possibilities. So once you turned it off it was all gone. LOL.