spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tknex

join:2012-10-03
reply to Tobin

Re: [Comcast Equip] TV Ad says Watch and Record 15 shows at 1 time!!!

said by Tobin:

This commercial is only being aired in regions with Cloud DVR, so that lends credit to the notion that tknex is just guessing along with the rest of us.

I'm not guessing. The ads are only being run in fios markets and it has nothing to do with Cloud DVR. You can take it or leave it, but the facts remain it is achieved with 3 x1 dvr's.

S10driver35

join:2009-09-29
New Castle, DE
reply to gate1975mlm
Watching a repeat of Sportsnet Central on CSN Philly and just saw the commercial. Paused to read the fine print on the bottom of the screen. "Requires subscription to X1 DVR and two additional outlets with DVR service."

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

3 edits
reply to gate1975mlm
Click for full size

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyg5rDAL···youtu.be

"Requires subscription to X1 DVR and two additional outlets with DVR service."

Do they mean 3 stand alone DVR's like I already have in my home? If so then I still don't see how I can record 15 shows at 1 time. With my 3 DVR's I can record a total of 12 at 1 time. And also only 1 of my 3 DVR's can record to the cloud at the same time. And also for some reason only 2 of my DVR's can see each other. The third DVR can not see the other 2.

I am just really confused by this Comcast ad.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Well supposedly i was told that the x1 can record 5 shows at once while.watch a live channel.

Datdude

@68.42.244.x

1 recommendation

reply to gate1975mlm
It says "Recored AND Watch 15 shows at Once." With three DVR's you'd be recording 12 and watching 3 for a total of 15.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Datdude :

It says "Recored AND Watch 15 shows at Once." With three DVR's you'd be recording 12 and watching 3 for a total of 15.

Yup, so once again its not false advertising. It can be done, but you need 3 of those boxes. At $20 per box per month after the first one, that would be a dream for Comcast. $40 in fees? Ouch!
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to gate1975mlm
There's now an article on the MCN site today about it:

Comcast Tests ‘Super DVR’ Recording 15 Shows at Once
‘Anyroom’ Feature To Be Offered In X1 Homes

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 7, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/comcast-tes···e/375714
[Also at: »hightechindustrynews.com/comcast···at-once/ ]
quote:
Comcast has joined the super DVR race with a market-limited trial of a new feature for the X1 platform that enables customers to record as many as 15 shows at once.

Comcast, which has been touting the expanded digital video recorder in local TV ads and Internet promotions of X1, confirmed that it recently began to pilot the new option in its 14-state Northeast region, which includes systems serving parts of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

As a new twist on its “AnyRoom DVR” service option, Comcast enables those test customers to record up to 15 shows at once (or record 12 shows at once, while watching three) by linking together the storage and tuning capabilities of three X1 HD-DVRs, and sharing recorded content between them via a home network that utilizes high-speed, IP-based Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) technology. ... The AnyRoom DVR option/upgrade that ties together three X1 HD-DVRs costs about $60 per month, according to Comcast.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Acct101

Re: [Comcast Equip] Re: TV Ad says Watch and Record 15 shows at 1 time!!!

said by Acct101:

Is there anyone here who could find 15 shows, all on at the same, they'd want to watch?

Seriously?

A few of the cable networks have been starting their shows about a half-minute late, and running the shows the full 30 minutes (or full hour, etc.).

What this means is that to record two consecutive shows on the same channel, you need to use two tuners if you want to capture each of the shows in full.

So "recording 15 shows at once" is effective reduced to recording 7 or 8 shows at once.

And your basic point still holds.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
I have a 6-tuner Tivo Roamio and never run out of tuners, even with many of the cable shows padded because they always run over. As long as you put the network shows in front of the cable shows priority-wise, it really isn't an issue because of all the cable repeats.

Before this Tivo I had a 4-tuner Premiere Elite and still had no issues with tuners, but that's just me. And this is with 70-80 season passes and wishlists, which I know is on the low side for some extreme TV watchers.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by GTFan:

... As long as you put the network shows in front of the cable shows priority-wise, it really isn't an issue because of all the cable repeats....

I have a two-tuner TiVo and once a month or so I run out of tuners. (and yes, the TiVo software is great at finding the odd-hour repeats of cable shows to use the two tuners most effectively.) Four tuners would be fine for my current needs, but I'm looking towards the 6-tuner TiVo Roamio at some point in the future....

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to telcodad

Re: [Comcast Equip] TV Ad says Watch and Record 15 shows at 1 time!!!

I think they did this with my 2 x1 dvrs. I noticed I'm not running out of space as much the other day.
Both show 123 recordings one says 40 % full the other 42% full.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to hahafunny
It is 3 DVR's. If you don't believe him, call Comcast. I just read an article on it on my iPad.

nothappy

@130.76.96.x
reply to Tobin
I live in the Philly area and have seen the commercial many, many times. It clearly says that you can record 15 shows at once while watching another. When I upgraded to the cloud, there were 5 shows on at the same time on Sunday night that I wanted to watch. The cloud would only record 4 of them. When I called Xfinity, after being on hold for 93 minutes (I kid you not), I was told that in order to record 15 shows, I would need 3 DVRs. I can't figure out their math but it doesn't matter. As far as I am concerned, Comcast/Xfinity flat out lied in these commercials. Nothing like truth in advertising.

Wrong

@68.42.244.x
The commerical clearly states you can record AND watch 15 shows at once. The X1 DVR's allow you to record 4 and watch a 5th. Three X1's would be recording 12 and watching 3. That's recording AND watching 15 at once.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

There's now an article on the MCN site today about it:

Comcast Tests ‘Super DVR’ Recording 15 Shows at Once
‘Anyroom’ Feature To Be Offered In X1 Homes

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - July 7, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/comcast-tes···e/375714
[Also at: »hightechindustrynews.com/comcast···at-once/ ]

quote:
Comcast has joined the super DVR race with a market-limited trial of a new feature for the X1 platform that enables customers to record as many as 15 shows at once.

Comcast, which has been touting the expanded digital video recorder in local TV ads and Internet promotions of X1, confirmed that it recently began to pilot the new option in its 14-state Northeast region, which includes systems serving parts of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

As a new twist on its “AnyRoom DVR” service option, Comcast enables those test customers to record up to 15 shows at once (or record 12 shows at once, while watching three) by linking together the storage and tuning capabilities of three X1 HD-DVRs, and sharing recorded content between them via a home network that utilizes high-speed, IP-based Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) technology. ... The AnyRoom DVR option/upgrade that ties together three X1 HD-DVRs costs about $60 per month, according to Comcast.

Here is the current status of being able to have more than one X1 DVR (XG1) box:

quote:
Currently, the status is that not all areas are consistent with this business rule.

Customers in our Northeast Division (from Maine south to Virginia and east to Ohio) are currently permitted up to three DVRs per account.

Customers in our Central Division (Florida and north plus west to Louisiana and Arkansas) are moving to match that experience.

In our West Division, the current limit is one.

We are working to get that experience all standardized very soon.

cheeseman

join:2014-06-19
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Wrong
said by Wrong :

The commerical clearly states you can record AND watch 15 shows at once. The X1 DVR's allow you to record 4 and watch a 5th. Three X1's would be recording 12 and watching 3. That's recording AND watching 15 at once.

"It's technically correct, which is the best kind of correct!"

wolf

@208.77.28.x
Indeed...Wouldn't it also be technically correct to state that you can record AND watch 20 shows at once, assuming you had 4 X1 boxes? Or is there a household limit of 3 X1's?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by wolf :

Or is there a household limit of 3 X1's?

As I posted above:
said by telcodad:

quote:
Customers in our Northeast Division (from Maine south to Virginia and east to Ohio) are currently permitted up to three DVRs per account.

Customers in our Central Division (Florida and north plus west to Louisiana and Arkansas) are moving to match that experience.

In our West Division, the current limit is one.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to gate1975mlm
To be able to watch more than 1 show at a time on 1 TV/display with all those X1 DVRs and tuners, I had originally posted a while ago about having a PIP mode feature or a four-quadrant display: »Re: [Xfinity X1] 6 tuners activated in Philly!

Now, a start-up company called "4SeTV" is planning to introduce a box that will let you display up to four TV channels at once on one screen:

4SeTV Plans $99 Mosaic TV Box
By Mari Silbey, Zatz Not Funny! - August 13, 2014
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-08/4se···-tv-box/

EDIT: Also see: 4seTV has a proposition for cable: »www.cedmagazine.com/blogs/2014/0···or-cable