Search similar:

uniqs

LfCraig
@24.114.94.x

LfCraig

Anon

Rural ottawa (Vars) Broadband

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with some possible internet options in my area. I live just outside of Vars, ON. Technically this is city of Ottawa, but right on the outskirts.

According to both Rogers and Bell sales databases I am able to receive cable and DSL services, but both companies have repeatedly cancelled orders after further verification post sign-up. (ie. oops! Despite our systems indicating that your address is within our service area, it actually isn't. Sorry!)

My only other options seem to be xplornet - expensive, small caps - or bell/Rogers wireless hubs - more expensive, even smaller caps. I hoping someone knows of another alternative I'm missing. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Not sure this matters, but in the interest of giving as much info as possible, I am, at the very most, 800 meters from both DSL and cable services.
fedora9999
join:2013-05-31

fedora9999

Have you tried contacting National Capital Freenet? They offer DSL service using Bell phone lines.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

If Bell can't offer DSL, then nobody else can.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to LfCraig

to LfCraig
have you looked at »www.eorn.ca ? also check with Videotron, I was surprised to find out this week that one of my clients just east of Ottawa but on the Ontario side on Colonial Rd was served by Videotron cable internet and it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

LfCraig
@24.114.96.x

LfCraig

Anon

jmck - because we technically reside in Ottawa, I haven't found a way to search for my address on eorn.ca. We live on Devine, just north of the Prescott & Russell/Embrun zone. If you know a way to search my address, please share! Based on the press release for the Embrun area, however, it would appear that Xplornet is the provider.

I will look into videotron, though inputting my postal code on their website shows no service. That said, it's a rural code, so covers a wide area. I will try calling them.

Thanks!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to LfCraig

Mod

to LfCraig
According to eorn's service may, parts of Devine EAST of Vars are covered from in their Zone 1 cells ... The village and west of of Vars is just outside the coverage zone.

LfCraig
@24.114.96.x

LfCraig

Anon

We live west of the village. Intersection of Devine Rd and Frank Kenny Rd.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

have you looked at »www.eorn.ca ? also check with Videotron, I was surprised to find out this week that one of my clients just east of Ottawa but on the Ontario side on Colonial Rd was served by Videotron cable internet and it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Thankfully ERON is helping offer me Terrestrial due in April 2014...

I have had a Bell Turbo hub since 2011 and pay roughly $500 plus a month for limited service and high levels of overage stress. At to LTE coming, well, if I was available I could reach my bandwidth cap so much quicker.

Our phone lines are old and have the voltage boost which adds a constant buzz the the line unfortunately kills DSL.

One street over from me is now on DSL and soon to be Fibe TV

Perhaps it will come.... perhaps! In the meantime, ERON isn't doing much for my neighbourhood unfortuantely....

Ryan

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to LfCraig

Premium Member

to LfCraig
EORN is 50% politics. City of Ottawa did not participate in EORN because they are not part of the Eastern Ontario Wardens Caucus. So the 'City' boundary is cut out of the EORN map. Those Hex's on the EORN web site are overly optimistic at best. The build phase of program officially ended April 1. You _might_ be able to hit a Storm Internet AP from there, they built out South of you as part of EORN.
Boris19
join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2

Boris19

I live between Sarsfield and Cumberland villages, so pretty close to Vars. I'm also right on the outskirts of Ottawa and just outside the cable/DSL lines. We were just outside the cable/DSL lines when we moved out here in 2006 too. As far as I can tell, neither Rogers or Bell will ever again expand their wired infrastructure, so you're stuck with their "mobile internet" options. Xplornet actually works okay for me, as long as you accept that they're a slower connection than the one I had when I first got broadband in 1997. My connection pre-dates their caps policy so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Maybe Google will launch some of their broadband balloons in our area. Otherwise, we're stuck with crappy service indefinitely.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to LfCraig

to LfCraig
Im a Bell technician in eastern Ottawa and you're stuck in no man's land unfortunately. Navan, sarsfield and vars all have dsl but your area is unserviced for dsl. Expansion is supposed to happen this summer, bring fibe and FTTN dsl further out but where I don't know. I live in Greely and luckily I am able to get 5 meg dsl (the lowest package) however I have friends outside of metcalfe and in Edwards who are in the same boat as you (dsl in metcalfe and russell)

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to Semaphore

to Semaphore
Remember that EORN's definition of "terrestrial" is wireless or wired. The only other option is "satellite"...
Boris19
join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2

Boris19 to btech805

to btech805
You're saying there might be light at the end of the dark tunnel of fixed wireless access? I'll pay Bell whatever they want for a real, wired connection.