All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimarsul
join:2001-06-05
Olivehurst, CA

jimarsul

[Pricing] 25/5 to 50/25 for 10$ - will I notice?

If I take the 10.00 per month upgrade will I notice the difference and if upgrade speed should I upgrade to MI424WR Rev. I too?

Thanx all.
spencer785
join:2007-11-01
Qualicum Beach, BC

spencer785

Of course you will notice the speed difference especially when downloading or uploading.
propcgamer
join:2001-10-10

propcgamer to jimarsul

to jimarsul
It really depends on if you download/upload alot, or if your a light user.

IMO, if you simply browse youtube and watch netflix, probably not worth it.
jimarsul
join:2001-06-05
Olivehurst, CA

jimarsul

Hmm, am gamer as is son when home from college - we have a host of wireless laptops and cell's that may benefit from more speed via n. still thinking - anybody ever get a discount on the router if you take the upgrade in speed? The most they offered me was to spread the payment over 3 months for the router.... may wait to see what summer specials show up then jump in.

Nick5
@98.113.72.x

Nick5

Anon

said by jimarsul:

Hmm, am gamer as is son when home from college - we have a host of wireless laptops and cell's that may benefit from more speed via n. still thinking - anybody ever get a discount on the router if you take the upgrade in speed? The most they offered me was to spread the payment over 3 months for the router.... may wait to see what summer specials show up then jump in.

I don't think they typically discount the router. If wireless speeds are the main issue, just buy a router off Amazon. Asus is a good brand. In terms of raw incoming bandwidth, you are probably fine on the download side, but for Skype or attachments an extra boost of speed could be nice.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to jimarsul

to jimarsul
said by jimarsul:

If I take the 10.00 per month upgrade will I notice the difference

Like others have said, if you're a heavy uploader or downloader, probably yes.

If you mainly do web surfing and such, almost certainly no. Case in point; my FIOS gives me 26/31 with the fluff. Since I telecommute a lot, I also have a 10/1 Road Runner line as a backup. It's almost never used, but my job is such that I can't be without.

Recently a county work crew with a backhoe cut fiber and my FIOS was down for 2 days, so I ran on the 10/1 RR. The fiber was repaired when I wasn't home, so I never thought to switch back-- and I never noticed. It wasn't until a week+ later that I had to upload a file, saw the upload stuck at 1 Mbps, and realized my oversight.

Point is, I didn't notice ANY difference between 10 and 25 Mbps for web, email, SSH, etc.

Even better example-- when I'm at the datacenter ($DAYJOB), my PC connects to the world at full Gig-E. For everything EXCEPT large file transfers, I don't notice any difference between Gig-E and my FIOS or RR at home. True story.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

Point is, I didn't notice ANY difference between 10 and 25 Mbps for web, email, SSH, etc.

But don't you notice a difference if multiple people in the household are trying to access the internet at the same time? Don't they all share the bandwidth? If you have a few people, wouldn't a higher speed pay off?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by matcarl:

said by rebus9:

But don't you notice a difference if multiple people in the household are trying to access the internet at the same time? Don't they all share the bandwidth? If you have a few people, wouldn't a higher speed pay off?

Depends what they're doing. If they're streaming, gaming, etc, then more bandwidth may be noticeable. Just browsing, probably not.

$DAYJOB has branch offices with anywhere from 15 to 100 Mbps internet service, and I'm on-site several times a month at the lower bandwidth ones. In offices with 8-10 people on a 15M pipe, I don't find myself wishing for more speed unless I'm downloading something big, like one of those ridiculous HP print drivers that are 200+ MB.

The branches with 100 Mbps have 30-50 people, and (except for the occasional big downloads) I don't notice any significance speed improvement in general browsing, email, SSH, etc. when I'm there, versus the 10-person 15 Mbps office, versus the datacenter at full Gig-E.

There can sometimes be a little more "snap" on the faster pipes, but I'm willing to bet cash money that if you silently cut the bandwidth in half at any of those offices, nobody would notice.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

just lou to jimarsul

to jimarsul
I wish they'd quit begging me to pay $10 to upgrade from 35/35 to 50/25. If anything, offer me 75/35 and I'll think about it.

sirslayer
join:2006-05-17
Hesperia, CA

sirslayer to jimarsul

to jimarsul
to be honest, minor faster times and emails still takes forever!!