spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shhelp
join:2010-08-29
Post Falls, ID

1 edit

shhelp

Las Vegas, NV - Excessive packet loss and time outs.

Click for full size
internet health
Click for full size
ping -t example
Click for full size
For the past two months, I have been getting about 3-5% packet loss. In the past two weeks, however, it has grown over to 20% packet loss based on smokeping. The problem is more obvious during prime time. This makes it nearly impossible to do anything online that requires me to maintain a stable line. (ie: games or streaming.)

I've had multiple(5-6) technicians come down to see what the problem is and never resolve my issue. They have said that they would have my internet monitored over a couple days, but never call me back like they would. This is twice now. I even spoke to a tier 2 tech from Cox and he stated that I was having a 20% packet loss when he checked over the phone. I've had the modem re-provisioned several times now. The problem is not our computers or modem. We've had the modem swapped out for a brand new one. They always state that our signal strength is great and that they wish they had it at their home.

I rely on the internet for work and my Son for school. These numerous packet losses and outages have had me lose data for work numerous times. My son can't even use the internet during non-peak times (2:00am) without timing out every 10-20 seconds. I'm kind of lost in the dark. I don't know if they're ever going to resolve my issue or if its time to move on.

I've attached two examples of what I experience on a daily basis. Obviously the internet is unusable during the streaks of time outs. I experience this at any given time of the day or night.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

Send me a PM with your cable MAC address and I'll take a look.
CoxVegas

CoxVegas to shhelp

to shhelp
I got your modem MAC, thanks.

In the past couple weeks, we've been working on your node a fair bit due to ingress noise coming in. There's been quite a few, ummmm, "unknown service subscribers" shall we say that like to hack-job their way in and make a mess of things. We're going through and cleaning things up - we had three people out there today alone (and most of the week last week).

Issues like this, in that part of town, can be problematic because of right-of-way issues (we have to gain access to backyards to get to our equipment, which means getting consent, etc. etc.) so it's taking a lot longer than we'd like.

Anyway, we are aware, and we are working on it. I can't really provide an ETA at this point - the node doesn't like bad right this moment, but that can change pretty quickly in cases like these.
shhelp
Post Falls, ID

shhelp

Thank you very much for the response. You alone have given more insight than the past dozen people I've spoke to at COX.

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

I looked in on your node again this morning. It looks like we got the worst of the noise taken care of late on the 7th, and the 8th was a fair bit better (and we did more cleanup then too). Are you still seeing a lot of issues?
shhelp
Post Falls, ID

shhelp

The mess has very much cleared up, thank you. There are some minor hiccups. I'll continue to monitor it.
shhelp

1 edit

shhelp to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
Still having occasional time outs and periods of time where the internet is unusable. Like today since 9:00 am for example.

Minor timeouts continue to occur several times an hour.

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

Yep, we are continuing to see issues - we have two techs out there again continuing to hand trace the issues. I haven't seen an update that they've found the problem, but they are continuing to work.
whiteazn
join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV

whiteazn

ugh, I have been having issues over the past couple months too. Everyday this past week I have seen my internet connection quality go to crap.

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

said by whiteazn:

ugh, I have been having issues over the past couple months too. Everyday this past week I have seen my internet connection quality go to crap.

PM me your cable modem MAC address and I'll take a look for you.
shhelp
Post Falls, ID

shhelp

I am seeing more problems rather than improvements as of late.

Anonguy13
@70.167.111.x

Anonguy13

Anon

quote:
I am seeing more problems rather than improvements as of late.
From...Idaho?!?
Anonguy13

Anonguy13

Anon

Oops...just saw you previously posted regarding Las Vegas. My apologies!
byanez95
join:2014-05-21

byanez95 to CoxVegas

to CoxVegas
Click for full size
glad i'm not the only one getting random crazy slowdowns. i'll send my cable mac address if you don't mind taking a look

CoxVegas
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

CoxVegas

said by byanez95:

glad i'm not the only one getting random crazy slowdowns. i'll send my cable mac address if you don't mind taking a look

What the...

OK, this one should be interesting. Go ahead and send me your cable modem MAC address and I'll take a look.
shhelp
Post Falls, ID

shhelp

Click for full size
Lagging terribly once again.