Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

2 recommendations

Racerbob

Premium Member

[Firefox] FEBE 8.0.2 Released

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or not, but this is a Firefox related back up program.

Latest changes:

May 2, 2014: Version 8.0.2

Fixes for Fx 29 (Australis)
Backup should no longer hang while creating results page.
Bookmarks(JSON) backup should now not display warning in error console.

Get it here :

»softwarebychuck.com/febe ··· ebe.html

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

Knew the Hanging backup problem would be fixed. Thanks for the notice.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
Does it still take forever to do a backup? Does it still lockup Fx so you cannot minimize it during the backup or use it?

I had to abort it. It even destablized Windows along with crashing Fx after complaining about a busy javascript.

I'd really like it to work but my experience has been that this is likely the worst addon I've ever used. The last time I did do a successful backup that took forever it turned out it was barfing on an extension so I excluded it. I don't have any new extensions so I have no idea what was causing the problems this time.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

I have no clue. I do not use this program, but I may give it a try.

My main Firefox/Thunderbird backup program is Mozilla Backup. Works perfectly and I have never had a problem with it. Keeps on working even on the latest versions of FF and TB.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to Santa Fe

Premium Member

to Santa Fe
said by Santa Fe:

Knew the Hanging backup problem would be fixed.

Yup. I checked for an update yesterday. 8.0.2 working fine in FF 29 for me.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
Yeah, I've used Mozbackup for many years but I had gotten FEBE because of all the raves about it. FEBE is far more complex and complicated than Mozbackup. It's confusing and you have to read a lot to be able to use it. With Mozbackup it takes all of two seconds to understand it and another two seconds to backup.

I just did a Mozbackup.

This new version of FEBE must not be released to Addons yet. I have six addons that need updating. FEBE is NOT among the six. I clicked on it just now from Tools/Options and it froze Fx!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
Click for full size
Thx,works great here on Palemoon.
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

Bobby_Peru to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob

Re: [Firefox] FEBE 8.0.4 Released: Lots of Little and Some Solid Additions

Lots of additions, improvements to an already great extension!

Via Notifier and Updater. It's also live at: »addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· c=search

Odd, as Chuck's page does not mention it (»softwarebychuck.com/febe ··· l#latest), nor did a quick look at the forum turn it up, yet...

* FEBE code completely rewritten to wrap all functions into a single object (AMO recommendation)
* Added Dropbox support, removed Box.net support
* Support added for up to three additional backup locations for webDAV, CDs, DVDs, thumbdrives, networked drives, etc.
* Profile backup name now contains the Firefox version number.
* Added 'Grace period" (seconds) to backup on startup/shutdown.
* Added 'Tolerance' (seconds) for determining if scheduled backup was missed.
* Scheduled backup UI redesigned
* No restart needed when changing backup schedule
* New option: Perform delayed backup
* Items can be added to ignore list during backup
* Created function to test backup directory permissions
* Created function to list all add-ons
* Created function to manually load and save extension data
* If FEBE cannot load the extension data in real-time, a saved copy of the data will be used instead.

Seems fine in at least two separate PM 24.5.0 installs (total of at least three profiles).
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob

Re: [Firefox] FEBE 8.0.2 Released

Sadly to say this is still the most unstable, unusable extension I think I have ever tried.

Even this latest version, locks Fx, Microsoft popup opens and says Windows 8 is unstable, and then I finally get a popup saying there is a bad script in FEBE. In the year and one-half I have had Windows 8.0 Pro, I have never seen it have stability problems except with this extension. Same with Fx 24.6 ESR. It's never unstable except with this extension.

Mozbackup works great except it doesn't see Pale Moon so I was hoping to use FEBE on Pale Moon but obviously not. I would prefer something simple anyway like Mozbackup.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Racerbob

Premium Member

to Racerbob
It's up to 8.04 now and it works perfectly here on Palemoon.

joe0307
Z3
join:2001-06-25
The Villages, FL

joe0307 to Racerbob

to Racerbob
There web page lists 8.03 as the latest??? What happened to 8.04?

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by joe0307:

There web page lists 8.03 as the latest??? What happened to 8.04?

I don't know, but they'll have to pry 8.04 out of my cold dead hands. Good thing I'm not a zombie!
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

1 edit

Bobby_Peru to joe0307

Premium Member

to joe0307

Re: [Firefox/PM] FEBE 8.0.4 Released

Chuck seems to not have updated parts of the site.

It's working well, here in PM 24.5.0 (W7P), in multiple profiles, EXCEPT for a new PM FEBE/CLEO error ( »www.customsoftwareconsul ··· 5&t=4763 & »www.customsoftwareconsul ··· 5&t=4762 ). Otherwise all seems great.

I did both a Selective and Full Profile backup, in those few profiles, each in just over 1 second.

"Friday, July 04, 2014 9:08:36 AM
Item count: 61 total backed up — 51 extensions, 1 themes, 9 additional items.
Backup type: Both (Selective & Full profile), Manual, Mode: Asynchronous
Backup location: .....Backups\FEBE\Default\FEBE 2014 07-04 09.08.36
Total processing time: 1.112 seconds"

Super fast manual and fully automatic, full and selective backups, basically in the background, without having to cycle PM (or Fx) close/back-up/re-open (and then very often correct disarranged tabs), archiving extensions and themes (similar, to what Mr. T's great extension used to do, but with dated, grouped histories and more), along with bookmarks, prefs, etc....; Great work, Chuck!