how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

Bing and TWC -- oil and water?

Is anyone using TWC, especially in the North/South Carolina area, experiencing VERY slow responses to Bing.com and its Search results? In the Charlotte region, I am, and read in other forums that many others are too. When I traceroute to bing.com, I have a timeout, the Bing page comes up slowly, and search results take forever. NO OTHER web site in the world! comes up as slow as Bing. And no, I have no malware and use 3 different browsers, and it affects all my TWC-connected smartphones, PCs, and tablet.

I've read that Microsoft (Bing's daddy) may contact TWC about this, but TWC usually hides under their desks.

Anything to this? Thanks.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
said by ernliz:

Is anyone using TWC, especially in the North/South Carolina area, experiencing VERY slow responses to Bing.com and its Search results? In the Charlotte region, I am, and read in other forums that many others are too. When I traceroute to bing.com, I have a timeout, the Bing page comes up slowly, and search results take forever. NO OTHER web site in the world! comes up as slow as Bing. And no, I have no malware and use 3 different browsers, and it affects all my TWC-connected smartphones, PCs, and tablet.

I've read that Microsoft (Bing's daddy) may contact TWC about this, but TWC usually hides under their desks.

Anything to this? Thanks.

Traceroute is getting blocked by more and more web pages, so it really not as useful as it used to be.

I would test for packet loss and if it's just Bing well I have to say that's just odd. Guess bing sucks now. I could not get on the site as well, so maybe they are having issues right now?
--
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

ernliz

Albemarle, NC
Interesting, why60loss.... You're one of many. Question: are you in the Carolinas region using TWC?

And no, I don't think the problem is at Bing.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
said by ernliz:

Interesting, why60loss.... You're one of many. Question: are you in the Carolinas region using TWC?

And no, I don't think the problem is at Bing.

Right now yes I am using TWC in NC. Bing seems to work now. Have no idea why bing doesn't work. Maybe time to use google?
--
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to ernliz
Bing works great from TWC Los Angeles. So does tracert.

Tracing route to bing.com [204.79.197.200]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 45 ms 23 ms 29 ms cpe-xx-xxx-xx-xx.socal.res.rr.com [xx.xxx.xx.xx]
3 12 ms 10 ms 15 ms tge0-7-0-6.snmncaby02h.socal.rr.com [76.166.16.1
33]
4 38 ms 15 ms 14 ms agg20.lamrcadq02r.socal.rr.com [72.129.10.130]
5 14 ms 18 ms 18 ms agg28.tustcaft01r.socal.rr.com [72.129.9.2]
6 22 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae-5-0.cr0.lax30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.64]
7 16 ms 19 ms 23 ms bu-ether14.lsancarc0yw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.10
9.6.4]
8 * 18 ms 19 ms 107.14.17.250
9 16 ms 31 ms 17 ms fxp0.a0.sea90.adelphiacom.net [66.109.7.134]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms 10.254.28.12
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 17 ms 46 ms 14 ms a-0001.a-msedge.net [204.79.197.200]

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to ernliz
I'm in Anaheim (Southern California) and Bing has been extremely slow for me as well for a few days now.
{edit} It seems to be working fine today, but the last couple days it was slow to not working at all. I hope the problem got fixed.

ernliz

Albemarle, NC
Yeah, same here, Andy (on Sunday, 4 May). I hope it lasts, and the problem is fixed. Nevertheless, I'm surprised at ALL the forum postings I've read about this! TWC and Bing have/had this problem, yet not a word from any of their people anywhere. Oh well.

Jeeped

@184.65.136.x
reply to ernliz
Over the last several days, a number of people have been working to resolve this issue on Answers.Microsoft.com. We have found that shifting from Time-Warner's DNS servers to alternate primary and secondary DNS like FreeDNS instantly resolves the problem. I've written a Wiki article on that site on the subject with directions to quickly get a computer shifted over to alternate primary and secondary DNS servers. At the risk of a little 'grey hat' SEO, here are the links to the original thread and the Wiki article.

Bing site extremely slow, non-functional (thread)
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/bing···908ecf41

Bing is Slow or Doesn't Load with Time-Warner (Wiki article)
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/bing···46328525

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I don't use Bing so I don't know how it performs for me. What I find curious is that TWC users can get to Answers.Microsoft.com. I can't get to anything beyond the main Home page there for weeks now except rarely around 2AM-4AM but only at that time.

As for Open DNS they are the bad guys not TWC (assuming you opted out of TWC redirection if you make a typo in a url). Open DNS really spies on those who use it. I would never use it. Same goes for Google's servers! Besides, those are probably the SLOWEST DNS servers of all. The ONLY fast ones for me are Oceanic's located on Oahu, Hawaii. TWC has two RR DNS servers at Oceanic on Oahu and a third one for us at Orange RR in Southern California where our RDC is presently located and it is as slow as molasses. I always kill its use. In fact, I don't use Oceanic TWC RR DNS servers either...I use Oceanic's hidden DNS servers which are not known to most so they are faster. Any DNS server not located in Hawaii will be painfully slow for us. If I need a Mainland DNS server, I use Level 3 DNS servers as those do NOT track users like Open DNS and Google do and they are free.

Those on the Mainland wanting faster DNS servers should use GRC's DNS BenchMark and do a custom search for the best DNS servers or use Google's Namebench that will also find the fastest, most reliable DNS servers.

»www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

»code.google.com/p/namebench/
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to ernliz
Just checked bing.com on my 50/5 connection. Page load time was less than a second to load the front page. Searched for Google and it brought back results almost instantaneously.

Got a similar page load time via Verizon 4G connection.

ernliz

Albemarle, NC
ke4pym..... My Bing/TWC connectivity seems to be fixed now too. Don't know who did it, or who was at fault, but I hope this doesn't reoccur. Bing is an excellent search engine portal (better than Google IMHO).

fda

@76.190.234.x
Bing is ok for all the other stuff, but search is still lacking. Here is an example. Search "movie guy on train sees future"

This is in reference to the movie source code. On google the top result is the source code IMDb page, nothing about source code at all in Bing. If you don't know what you are looking for, google is far superior. If you know exactly what you want and be more specific with the search then they are equal.

Bing video search is superior to google, and the fact that they literally give you free gift cards to use bing with Bing Rewards is nice, but trying to search something vaguely, is way better on google.

Jeeped

@184.65.136.x
reply to Mele20
While I sincerely appreciate the sentiments expressed in your tag line, neither OpenDNS nor Google Public DNS negatively impact browsing to any appreciable level and certainly never to the point of a failed TRACERT (one of the diagnostics used to localize the problem described in my previous reply). To the contrary, using a DNS server to provide more than a simple name service can enhance one's browsing experience with beneficial functionality. Both OpenDNS and Google Public DNS provide varying levels of this extra functionality.

Case in point: MalwareBytes is at MalwareBytes.org, not MalwareBytes.com. There is a squatter sitting on MalwareBytes.com and that site has been known to distribute malware, not get rid of it. With OpenDNS, initiating a visit to MalwareBytes.com will come up with a prompt that explains to a naive user that they probably want MalwareBytes.org and not a potentially dangerous site. I see that as a benefit, not a detraction and I'm willing to wait a few milliseconds for it.

I hope you don't perceive this as a 'fan boy' post (scripted or not). My intention is to help others who have been hobbled with a Time-Warner DNS service that marketers and advertising information trolls have obviously taken over.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

4 edits
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
Bing.com load time shown in the Fx Web Developer Network tool
Click for full size
m load time shown in the Fx Web Developer Network tool
said by Mele20:

I don't use Bing so I don't know how it performs for me. What I find curious is that TWC users can get to Answers.Microsoft.com. I can't get to anything beyond the main Home page there for weeks now except rarely around 2AM-4AM but only at that time.

Bing.com and answers.microsoft.com works lightning fast for me, on TWC using TWC DNS servers at the RDC in Orange, CA, using the latest Fx ESR 24 and Palemoon.

Maybe you're blocking some part of the page that is making it become unresponsive or just hangs on waiting to load. You can use the Fx Web Developer Network tool to see the individual page component load times.
--
---You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.