fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to John Galt

Re: I don't want to play nice...

said by John Galt:

Describe your general conditions in your house (walls, construction type, etc), location of your router, your local neighborhood (single-story, multi-story, apts, etc), and what devices you are using.

Mostly old colonials (2.5 stories) from the 1920's built right next to each other with little space in an urban area. There is one apartment complex that is cross-ways from here and another about 2/10 of a mile down the road.

All walls are plaster and lath. I keep the router on the second floor. If I'm outside, the phone and laptop have poor connectivity. Once I enter the house, then it's fine.

Wireless devices:
1. Samsung Galaxy S4 - .11ac
2. Three wireless cameras - .11n
3. Laptop - .11n
4. Media server - .11g (will upgrade to .11ac so I can stream videos to my TV)

Wired devices:
One main desktop and then numerous desktops at one point or another depending on what I'm doing

comeonreally

@69.118.94.x
So you have over 120 aps you pick up and you have no problem in your house just outside?

Ya so... your house is the issue not the other wifi in the area...

Also your router is not being "neighborly" or whatever you said, it is interference... and you can blast out ALL you want with your router... you still need to SEND to the router from your devices...

so guess what you will STILL run into the same issue... ya sure the phone can hear the router now but the router still can't hear the phone...

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to fartness
What I'm reading is you think you're a special snowflake, and want to be an ass to everyone around you -- even if it means going against protocol specifications and possibly law.

What are you doing on your wireless devices that will kill you, or someone else, if your packet is slowed do to fairness with your other wireless neighbors? Will war break out if your wireless network isn't the fastest around? Will Earth revert to the stone age if you cannot get to Google while laying in bed on your S4? What happens if a router is made publicly available that ensures its owners traffic is routed ahead of anyone else around you? They slowly start popping up, and you're left with a mess that the specs help reduce or prevent.

Many of us practice a tried and true method to ensure our LAN traffic is routed in the best possible manner -- WIRE IT! My homes network is routed though an old Cisco 100M switch. There is nothing I do on my phone (iPhone5) that appears faster on G or N. I wire my laptop when moving large files, or playing games where latency is a factor.

There is a reason you don't see people filling polls with sprinklers. Although it would eventually get the desired result there are better tools for the job.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to fartness
If you get the netgear R7000 your neighbors do not have a hope in hell .... Have fun.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to fartness
Move your router off of the second floor, and put it nearer to the ground on the first floor. What you are trying to do is reduce the number of routers that are seen by your router. Try using objects in your house to shield the router from other APs in directions that are not significant to you.

I have a friend that has/had a similar problem. He has 30/5 service and was getting less than 2/1 on wireless since his router was seeing all of the others in the area (he is high up on the side of a hill overlooking a small community).

I moved the router back towards the street and placed it near the ground. The speed went right back up since the router could not see any of the other routers, and the laptop could not hear the the other APs. His laptop could hear -his- router just fine, though.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to weaseled386
Some day someone is going to come out with a non-802.11x protocol AP and client device, and they will make a lot of money dealing with situations like this. The move from CSMA to TDMA will be all that it takes...

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to fartness
Subject says volumes
Why be nice & help?

"What I'm reading is you think you're a special snowflake, and want to be an ass to everyone around you -- even if it means going against protocol specifications and possibly law."

+1

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
There are many protocols that are legal in the unlicensed bands that are not compatible with wifi. These are completely legal to use for data communications.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

2 edits
reply to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

What I'm reading is you think you're a special snowflake, and want to be an ass to everyone around you -- even if it means going against protocol specifications and possibly law.

What are you doing on your wireless devices that will kill you, or someone else, if your packet is slowed do to fairness with your other wireless neighbors? Will war break out if your wireless network isn't the fastest around? Will Earth revert to the stone age if you cannot get to Google while laying in bed on your S4? What happens if a router is made publicly available that ensures its owners traffic is routed ahead of anyone else around you? They slowly start popping up, and you're left with a mess that the specs help reduce or prevent.

Many of us practice a tried and true method to ensure our LAN traffic is routed in the best possible manner -- WIRE IT! My homes network is routed though an old Cisco 100M switch. There is nothing I do on my phone (iPhone5) that appears faster on G or N. I wire my laptop when moving large files, or playing games where latency is a factor.

There is a reason you don't see people filling polls with sprinklers. Although it would eventually get the desired result there are better tools for the job.

You missed the point and this whole thread was meant to revolve around the link I posted that stated these routers are "real". I never asked for anything illegal. I would love it if I could just wire everything but it's not feasible and defeats the purpose of wireless.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

Move your router off of the second floor, and put it nearer to the ground on the first floor. What you are trying to do is reduce the number of routers that are seen by your router. Try using objects in your house to shield the router from other APs in directions that are not significant to you.

I have a friend that has/had a similar problem. He has 30/5 service and was getting less than 2/1 on wireless since his router was seeing all of the others in the area (he is high up on the side of a hill overlooking a small community).

I moved the router back towards the street and placed it near the ground. The speed went right back up since the router could not see any of the other routers, and the laptop could not hear the the other APs. His laptop could hear -his- router just fine, though.

My desktop that is my main one is on the second floor too. I'd have to rewire a lot of things but I could give it a try without anything plugged into the LAN ports to compare the difference.

I just picked up a R7000 on Newegg for $149 and change since they sent me a coupon code.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Have you tried Powerline adapters? If they work well with your electrical wiring, it sure beats trying to run cable.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
No. I looked into it but figured it's not worth it since only a couple devices would potentially use it.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
reply to fartness
No, I didn't miss the point of the thread. Your link was posted several hours after you created this topic.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

I just picked up a R7000 on Newegg for $149 and change since they sent me a coupon code.

Very good price.

do not be surprised if many of your neighbours will be very upset that their systems will become unstable and upgrade their wireless to overcome your dominance

FYI, you'll need to tweak the 2.4 Ghz settings to not allow b,g devices and to lock in the 40 Mhs + force the 450 Mbps throughput [by default speed is set to much lower throughput]

for the 5Ghz band make sure to use channel 157 or higher and 40/80 Mhz wide channels.

And if you do not want competition change the SSID .... by default its set to NETGEARxx .... you do not want your neighbor's to learn which router you've got Now, the smart ones can figure out what you're using.

--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
What happens if I still need to use b/g device? I thought it's still compatible? However I can live with no b/g if it will make the router faster, stronger, or more stable.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Yes it is compatible for b,g devices however with b 2.4 dumbs down the system so the lowest common denominator takes over which impacts everything on the 2.4 band that includes N meaning your performance will be poor.

No impact on the 5 Ghz band.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
Yeah I wouldn't use any b devices. Just a g device or two.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
"a" cannot operate on channel 157 so if you plan on "a" devices you will have to go to the lowest channels where performance for "AC" will be dumed down to 64 Mbps ... Again very poor performance. So perhaps you shold forget my suggested settings and go with the default. Perhaps the R7000 is not for U.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
If I have the choice between a and ac, what is better?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
AC should be better, but it depends on what the client is capable of. That new Netgear router will support both. Anything in the 5ghz band, even just A, is usually better than 2.4ghz due to lack of interference from surrounding AP's.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to fartness
AC will give you the best performance --- it beats "a" by a factor of 10 assuming you use the high channels like I suggested earlier -- and the 40/80 Mhz frequency. "a" cannot operate in the 40/80 Mhz frequency.

and billaustin See Profile is correct ... to get the best AC performance your AC client must be equally capable. However, any AC client will beat by a country mile any "a" client.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
reply to fartness
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I just took the router out of the box. I don't see any way to "force" it to use two channels at once, unless it is set like that by default. See pics (don't get your panties in a bunch, that's the default password that I will change... come hack me in the next 3 minutes ).

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
Click for full size
I'm guessing I have to uncheck the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" box, correct?

I just did and now it changed to primary and secondary, so maybe that's not it? The channels are 3 and 7, so that's not 6 apart.

What is "Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS - Prevent network lag when slower devices connect" since I see that checked, or is that for my own internal network?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by fartness:

What is "Enable AIRTIME FAIRNESS - Prevent network lag when slower devices connect" since I see that checked, or is that for my own internal network?

Good explanation:

»community.arubanetworks.com/t5/U···-p/47214
--
A is A

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
Also I downloaded a wireless analyzer app on my SG4 which has a/b/g/n/ac and it only shows 20MHz is being used, unless if the device (phone) is only capable of 20MHz when the router is now 40MHz because of the setting.

My n laptop is staying connected at 72mbps. My phone when I connect to the 2.4GHz (n) band, goes anywhere from 39mbps to 96mbps.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to John Galt
Good explanation, I will leave that setting alone.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
reply to fartness
Also is there any reason to NOT install DD-WRT?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

I'm guessing I have to uncheck the "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" box, correct?

Yes uncheck that setting.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

Also is there any reason to NOT install DD-WRT?

IMO the Kong build is the one to use if you want to go with DD-WRT. I suggest staying with the native netgear firmware.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to fartness
said by fartness:

Netgear have a good user guide that YOU should read.