Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Toastman QoS is awesome

Click for full size
I decided to join 2011 and upgrade my router to a more modern version of Tomato. I think Toastman's QoS features are awesome. Compared to the old version I was using, inbound rates are now more configurable, you can set your DSL Overhead Value, and there are some new cosmetic features which are a nice touch.

From what I read, Toastman's default rules are meant for an internet connection that is shared with a great many people. My requirements are a little different so I deleted the default rules and wrote my own. Simply: high priority for VoIP, low for file sharing, and medium for everything else.

I did my usual test of starting a VoIP call, downloading a large Linux ISO with my torrent client, then opening 25 tabs in my browser. As expected, audio sounded perfect, and the torrent's speed dropped significantly until the web browser was finished loading. As a bonus, it seems that I don't have to restrict my speed as much as I did before, so things run slightly faster when VoIP is not in use. Perhaps this is due to the DSL Overhead Value setting.

My configuration is below if anyone is curious, though it's fairly typical.

m.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are my Tomato QoS settings, but I'm running Shibby though. Running on a Cisco/Linksys E2000 router with a WOW Cable 15/2 internet connection.

I'm trying to prioritize all VOIP traffic above everything else. I'm getting choppy audio, usually late evening hours, when my mom calls me at work (corded desk phone hooked up to the facility's PBX). I'm using Vestalink for outgoing calls and Callcentric for incoming. I've had the occasional choppy audio also when we used Callcentric for outgoing.

Should I change anything?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

If you do speed tests, are your speeds worse in the evening than the morning? If so, you need to reduce your Max Bandwidth to the minimum that you see in your tests.
nirvy
join:2003-11-16
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

nirvy to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
Thanks, slyphoxj, for posting this. I'm in the same exact boat as you right now. I've got an E2000 router although I'm using an older TomatoUSB firmware, but I tried AdvancedTomato and wasn't impressed with WiFi performance.

Basically, using my own FreePBX server, calling over Zoiper on my main wired PC is great. No choppy sound at all. But calling over my Samsung Galaxy Note II over WiFi gets choppy at times. I get good speeds with speedtest and I've tried many channels from 1-9 on the router and some other advanced settings but can't seem to perfect it.

Since my calls over my wired connection are great, is there anything you'd like to know about my setup?

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to Mango

to Mango
Although it works.... Tomato's "Slow Down" QoS has been less happy for me... as I want FULL THROTTLE on my internet for my computers.

I have had MORE success with Airlink101's QOS... I can place calls whilst torrenting and it works well... yet when I speed test, I get full speed....

If I speed test WHILE on a call the call doesn't go to pot either.
mike8675309
join:2009-01-05
Farmington, MN

2 recommendations

mike8675309

said by VexorgTR:

Tomato's "Slow Down" QoS has been less happy for me

For QOS to work it must limit full access to the pipe. If your Airlink's QOS is not limiting your computer then either the computer is listed to be able to bypass QOS limits or the QOS isn't really working.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to nirvy

Anon

to nirvy
Click for full size
Here's my setup. In the beginning it mostly worked: pegging uplink wouldn't touch calls. But saturating downlink would cause call problems and high latency. So I added the downlink shaping. The only issue left is a lack of a rule to pluck online gaming traffic out of the default. Games tend to lag when torrent traffic is fired up, but the solution is to cap speed in the BT software. I suppose I would have to figure out how to prioritize games in the router if I lived with people who couldn't figure out how to cap their BT speed or were disrespectful enough to refuse.

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to mike8675309

to mike8675309
said by mike8675309:

said by VexorgTR:

Tomato's "Slow Down" QoS has been less happy for me

For QOS to work it must limit full access to the pipe. If your Airlink's QOS is not limiting your computer then either the computer is listed to be able to bypass QOS limits or the QOS isn't really working.

Yeah... it works. On the fly. It doesn't stifle the computers one bit when there's no calls on hand..... that's what I like.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Very curious if a remote caller is still able to hear you just fine when uploading a large video to YouTube...
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33 to VexorgTR

to VexorgTR
Have you turned the Airlink QoS off to see if there's actually a difference?
nirvy
join:2003-11-16
Minneapolis, MN

nirvy to Trev

to Trev
quote:
Very curious if a remote caller is still able to hear you just fine when uploading a large video to YouTube...
I just tested it and made a video. I was uploading both to YouTube and Usenet and was able to make and hear calls just fine using Zoiper and my own PBX server. I recorded video of it but not feeling enthusiastic about editing out all of the personal details and crap, but it shows that my QoS settings are seemingly solid.

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to Trev

to Trev
said by Trev:

It indeed seems to work just fine.......

We do lots of uploads from our computer shop....... whilst on the phone... and it does the job.

I'm auditioning a router from Manhattan that I THINK has the same brains as the Airlink.... We shall see.

I really like QoS that kicks in and chokes only when necessary... No calls, full throttle... Calls, let them through first.