Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Tired of wet mail - options for a new mailbox

Like all of my neighbors, I have a post-mounted mailbox out by the street. It's a plain-jane (read: cheap) steel unit. I think it's original, circa 1985.

Today marks about the sixth time (since buying the house 18 months ago) I've had to retrieve waterlogged mail, and it's not because the postal carrier doesn't close the door tightly. Water just gets in.

Since it really doesn't look the best, replacing it has been on the back burner. But now, I'm serious about getting a new one. Does anyone have any practical experience with any of the "weatherproof" mailboxes out there?

Thanks in advance.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
We've had one of these for quite a while without any problems with water getting in. »www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Page···RP091536
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
I second the Rubbermaid mailbox. Had one since nearly forever.

It is large enough for letter size envelops to lay flat. We are on our second one after several decades of service from the first. Replaced it a year ago after the first one finally gave up the ghost by being hit too often. When I research it this last time found some complaints, I think Rubbermaid sold off the division and it is being produced by someone else and is not as good. After a year the new one seems just as good as the original one.

Be sure the post is secure so when the mail carrier shuts the door the post does not move backward preventing it from fully closing.

It has a mail delivered pop up flag, you may find that useful, but I choose to cut it off.

/tom

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
Thanks for the replies. Prior to moving to Florida, I'd never seen rain like we get here.

I looked into the Rubbermaid before I actually started this thread, but came across a fair amount of reviews where people are complaining about them holding water when it rains. But, like anything else, there are other reviews saying the same you guys are - no problems with rain or the mail getting wet.

I also saw the same thing regarding the secondary licensing of the Rubbermaid name/design to another company that's now making them.

My neighbors are away and I'm currently getting the mail for them. They have the same exact mailbox and of course theirs was soaked today too.
--

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

2 recommendations

I suggest slightly sloping whatever mailbox you get so that it will not hold water.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97
These are awesome. I'd pass on the plastic Rubbermaid trash.
»www.amazon.com/Solar-Group-TB1B0···00CSI7ZK
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to John97
Silicon caulking?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to John97
I really wanted to convert an ammo box but don't have the skills. Photo from Google.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
doesnt it have to be approved by the postmaster?

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to John97
The size and construction of the door seal makes a big difference here (the sloping it slightly idea is good one, too). For example, note how the door seal on the metal box at the Amazon link given above is made. When the door is closed the seal is completely internal - deep and well-protected from rain. I've seen other mailboxes where the door is thin and flimsy, seals OUTSIDE of the front edge of the mailbox (overlaps it slightly, that is), and even when fully closed, doesn't seal too well at all. In fact, the last one of these that I saw in person (at my MIL's house, where I was helping her install it) didn't really seal at all when closed, because it had an external seal and the door was warped slightly. (I did the best I could to correct this problem, but it will probably come back.) In fact, if she hadn't already gone to the trouble to customize that new mailbox, I would have suggested that she return it and buy a better one.

NYR 56
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Smithtown, NY
reply to John97
We made ours out of wood, looks like a mini house essentially. There is an overhang of the 'roof' a couple inches over the door so that even if it isn't shut totally, water won't get in. Had the same design for 30 years now, no problems. Looks nicer than the Rubbermaid mailboxes too, IMHO.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

I second the Rubbermaid mailbox. Had one since nearly forever.

It is large enough for letter size envelops to lay flat. We are on our second one after several decades of service from the first. Replaced it a year ago after the first one finally gave up the ghost by being hit too often. When I research it this last time found some complaints, I think Rubbermaid sold off the division and it is being produced by someone else and is not as good. After a year the new one seems just as good as the original one.

Be sure the post is secure so when the mail carrier shuts the door the post does not move backward preventing it from fully closing.

It has a mail delivered pop up flag, you may find that useful, but I choose to cut it off.

/tom

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag, so that even if the mailman don't have mail for you, he will see that flag up, and check your box, and take the outgoing mail, and deliver it to the person you addressed it to. so it's not a good idea to do that..

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Critsmcgee
said by Critsmcgee:

As a letter carrier these boxes are bulletproof and they never leak!
--
Professional student pilot!

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Bruschi:

said by Critsmcgee:

As a letter carrier these boxes are bulletproof and they never leak!

I've had it 2 years so far. It's been hit by a few plows and not even a scratch on it. It's never been wet inside either. Before this mailbox I use to go through one mailbox a year because of plows.
--

oldcheap

@50.138.50.x
reply to John97
alternatively,
since the cheapmetal ones aluminum or steel are made to postal code, and do work well for years,
you could just get a new cheap one, about $20.?

but often the mount under them on your post is not correct. typically you cut a wood board to Exactly fit inside the underside lips of the box.

and since the old ones are sposed to, and do, work, you could just try raining on them with a hose, to see where the leak is, then bend or caulk that part. sometimes the hole for the flag leaks, if loose.
sometimes the front edge of the box that mates with the door is misshapen, needing bending.
and sometimes the bottom joints between the box floor and the box walls leaks, wicking water up from under, which silicone inside and out will fix.

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by oldcheap :

alternatively,
since the cheapmetal ones aluminum or steel are made to postal code, and do work well for years,
you could just get a new cheap one, about $20.?

Growing up not far from the OP he wants a good mailbox. We were very destructive teens. Not to mention the insane amounts of rain and the wild directions the rain blows. You want quality!
--

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit
reply to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag,

All mail boxes have a flag to let the postal carrier now there is mail to pick up.

The Rubbermaid mail boxes have a flag on the door hinge that drops when the door is opened. That way you can tell when mail has been delivered without having to go to the mailbox as long as you can see the box itself.

edit: Tks to StillLearn See Profile reminded me the mail delivered flag is not spring loaded. I've never seen the need and have removed the feature on both our ours.

/tom

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by tschmidt:

said by iknow_t:

that's not a mail delivered flag, that's an outgoing mail flag,

All mail boxes have a flag to let the postal carrier now there is mail to pick up.

The Rubbermaid mail boxes have a spring loaded flag on the door hinge that pops up when the door is opened. That way you can tell when mail has been delivered without having to go to the mailbox as long as you can see it.

/tom

They made addons to do that as well. Some are electronic while others are just manual.

»www.amazon.com/AVM-AVM-01-Automa···044V5RTU
»www.amazon.com/Mail-Chime-Wirele···0103FDDU
--

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to John97
We had the same problem out here in dry California any time it would so much as drizzle. The wife finally picked out a new box she likes. It's one of these: »www.architecturalmailboxes.com/p···ult.aspx

So far it hasn't leaked at all. It's a bit more expensive than the other options posted so far. But it's also more decorative.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
Thanks for all the replies. I neglected to mention that while my tastes and needs are simple for the most part, that generally does not sit well with the wife.

So, with that being said, I am leaning towards the Architechural model. I am thinking I'll get it ordered and it'll be a Saturday project in a few weeks.
--

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
I wanted to go more simple too.

The thing I (and probably the postman) do like about our's is that is pretty big inside and small packages will fit inside. With the old one, anything larger than a legal envelope would need to be brought to the front door.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

Critsmcgee

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by brian:

I wanted to go more simple too.

The thing I (and probably the postman) do like about our's is that is pretty big inside and small packages will fit inside. With the old one, anything larger than a legal envelope would need to be brought to the front door.

US postal certified mailboxes have sizes assigned to them so you know what will fit in them before you buy them. You could get simple box in any size.
--