join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

[Environmental] "Safe For Septic Systems"

Click for full size
Walmart liquid laundry detergents labeled safe for septic systems
I decided to do some field research into laundry and dish washing products that are designated "safe for septic systems" since I just had my tank pumped and I had more solids in there than expected.

So I went to a local Walmart and checked every bottle of laundry detergent, looking for those labeled safe for septic systems. To my surprise, only the five in the attached picture fit that bill, no others were safe for septic systems! Arm & Hammer only had one type of detergent labeled as septic safe.. and Tide had NONE! Unfortunately, I've been using Tide up to this point. I bought one of each type, but after purchasing the Oxydol, I realized it's not formulated for use with HE machines. But the A&H 4X, Sun, Purex and ERA all are HE washer compatible.

I also looked for liquid fabric softeners that are septic safe... and there were none! Again, I've been using Downy up to this point. I bought a box of dryer sheets and will discontinue the liquid Downy.

For dishwashing, I like Finish Tabs, and they are labeled as septic safe. Quite a few dishwasher soaps were listed as septic safe- liquid, powder, and tabs. At least I've been doing something right...

Lastly, I checked the toilet paper we usually buy, and it's labeled as septic safe, so I'll keep buying it. A few brands that I checked all said septic safe.

Now I'll need to experiment with the laundry detergents and see which washes the clothes the best. With zero data to go on, I'll put my money on the A&H, but I'll just have to try them all and see.

But I suppose the moral of the story is to check the label and do some research BEFORE using something with a septic system. So I hope my field research at Walmart may prove helpful.
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

As a sidenote, I just checked the Arm & Hammer website, and they claim that all their powder and liquid laundry detergents are septic safe:

»www.armandhammer.com/FAQ ··· are.aspx

Strange that of all the varieties of A&H laundry detergents available at Walmart, only one is labeled "safe for septic systems" (the one in the picture above).

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Mod

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I went to a local Walmart and checked every bottle of laundry detergent, looking for those labeled safe for septic systems. To my surprise... and Tide had NONE! Unfortunately, I've been using Tide up to this point.

Walmart's website shows Tide Original HE is safe for septic.

"Phosphate-free and made of biodegradable soaps; safe for septic systems and packaging is recyclable"

»www.walmart.com/ip/Tide- ··· ications

Proctor and Gamble says

"All of our cleaning products are safe for use in a properly functioning septic system."

»pgbrandsweb.esecurecare. ··· _id/2443
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

That is interesting. None of the Tide bottles on the shelf (HE or otherwise) were labeled as septic safe. And it's not on the recommended list of detergents:

»laundry.about.com/od/lau ··· tems.htm

And quite a few septic websites recommend against Tide:

»a1environmental.net/sept ··· nts.html

»www.deansseptic.com/doan ··· %27s.htm

And there are quite a few more, those are just a few samples.

Why doesn't P&G label Tide as septic safe if it is indeed septic safe?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

From your second link -- " We suggest not using Tide or Kirkland brand laundry detergent as it is clay based and causes fast build up in the septic tank"

Trouble is I can't find any clay in the Tide HE list of ingredients.

»www.tide.com/media/pdf/p ··· e-he.pdf
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
Here is a link to a really good do's and don'ts list for septic systems:

»www.wrenvironmental.com/ ··· d-donts/

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

They say

"Detergents

Detergents should be concentrated, low-sudsing, low (or no)-phosphate, and bio-degradable. Any type of septic system should use liquid detergents."

Tide HE is all of those. You would have to ask them why it isn't on their list as they give no reason to exclude it.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

You raise a valid point, but I still have to question why any manufacturer would choose to leave "safe for septic systems" off their product label if it truly is septic safe.

Again, of all the brands and types carried in Walmart, only the five in the picture above were acutally labeled as septic safe on the product itself.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Interesting reading. I am going to get my tank pumped soon for the first time (since I've owned the house).
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Hopefully your tank pump is uneventful!

Just out of curiousity, when you have a moment or two free, go around your house and check the laundry and dishwashing products you use and see if they are labeled "safe for septic systems". I know I was surprised when I checked my products- most were not!

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Mod

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

but I still have to question why any manufacturer would choose to leave "safe for septic systems" off their product label if it truly is septic safe.

You should ask the manufacturer. I posted a link to a Proctor and Gamble website (manufacturer of Tide) which states their products are septic safe. Are you implying that they are being untruthful on the website because they didn't print it on the bottle? I'm pretty sure that the entire list of ingredients isn't printed on the bottle either, but the information is available on their website also. So far I haven't seen any site give a valid reason of why Tide is not septic safe. If it is truly unsafe for septic systems then that information should be easy to find.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Are you implying that they are being untruthful on the website because they didn't print it on the bottle?

I'm not implying that at all. I'm factually stating that it's not labeled on their bottles. And I'm factually stating that I've seen on multiple websites and forums the recommendation to avoid Tide with septic systems.

So I will factually say that I am now trying products labeled as "safe for septic systems" since they assert on their products that they are safe for septic systems.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

And I'm factually stating that I've seen on multiple websites and forums the recommendation to avoid Tide with septic systems.

I can factually state that I have seen much on the web that is not factual. At this point I will include those websites which state the above with no FACTS to back up their claims. If it is not safe, then why not.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Interesting. One would think that all detergents were "safe for septic tanks" .
What about those on public sewage systems? I've been curious as to why it's ok for certain things to be used on them vs septic tanks. For example I was told having a garbage disposal on a septic tank wasn't a good idea, because of the solids. But on a public system it's ok.
I was told composting is the best way to go for either system.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

Interesting. One would think that all detergents were "safe for septic tanks" .

I'm discovering that some are and some are not. I'm going to try the 4 HE detergents labeled as septic safe and see how I like them. Poking around the 'net yields the advice of avoiding Tide (among others), powdered laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, and bleach. robbin obviously doesn't agree with the collective wisdom of the Internet and favors the info found on P&G's website with respect to Tide (and is entitled to that opinion!). I am suspect enough to try other products and see how they work out.

What about those on public sewage systems? I've been curious as to why it's ok for certain things to be used on them vs septic tanks. For example I was told having a garbage disposal on a septic tank wasn't a good idea, because of the solids. But on a public system it's ok.
I was told composting is the best way to go for either system.

Correct. Food disposals are a no-no on most septic systems, unless there is an oversized tank and very frequent pumping. But practically speaking... don't do it. It is okay for sewer systems though.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Municipal systems are engineered to deal with the high solids content; residential systems are not.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Mod

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

robbin obviously doesn't agree with the collective wisdom of the Internet and favors the info found on P&G's website with respect to Tide

I haven't been shown any wisdom, just misinformation (much of it probably old). For instance, in your third post you referenced Dean's Septic Systems webpage which states in regards to Tide -- "DO NOT USE TIDE, ALL, CHEER OR OTHER HIGH SUDSING DETERGENTS". Now I don't know what products they are referring to but Tide HE is definitely not high sudsing. I would also question a reference that is almost 11 years old (Operation, Maintenance and Servicing of systems 08/22/03 wpd) as much has changed in that time frame.

Now I'm going to make a guess here as to the "collective internet wisdom". My guess is that this is old information that people were taught and has been repeated for years. In that regard, Tide has not always been safe for septic systems as it used to contain phosphates. It no longer does.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Robbin, either way you look at it- if a detergent that is actually labeled "safe for septic systems" cleans as good or better than Tide (and hopefully at or below Tide's cost), then it's a zero-sum game. My experiment with the four properly labeled HE detergents will steer me in the right direction with my own data- objective or otherwise.

At the end of the day, I need clean clothes and a properly operating septic system.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
As for fabric softener, you can skip both liquid and sheets. Do a web search on the pros and cons of fabric softeners and sheets. I stopped using either about a year ago and I've been happy. My wife still uses them with her clothes, though.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
Never used anything but Tide since 1974 in 3 homes with Septic systems. No reason to not use the Consumer Reports top detergent.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I have my laundry plumbed to water landscaping instead of going to my septic tank.
Did it at the time I moved in as the place was a fixer upper that had seen virtually no maintance since it was built in 59.

First year after doing so I was stunned at the amount of solids from the Kirkland laundry soap I had used.
Doesn't appear to be clay to me but some kind of inert whitish stuff.
A little raking and it blends right in.

I am only one living here and after 12 years had tank pumped and guy said there was plenty of room left.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
When I bought my house and had the septic inspected prior to the purchase, the company I used said to get an HE washer. They also said not to use any septic additives they sell. I kind of trust them since they have been around forever and helped write the laws for septic system in New Jersey.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I've used Tide HE since I got my new washing machine back in 2008 or 2009 without any ill effects observed on my septic system as a result. I did have to have the drain field replaced last May, but that was caused by age and a Magnolia tree planted on top of it 40 years ago (laterals became root bound), not because of Tide.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I would trust the manufacturers website much more than what's on the bottle! I'm betting that many manufacturers don't bother putting "septic tank safe" on the bottle for multiple reasons. 1st off, the number of homes with septic systems is continually declining with the majority of homes now on sewer systems rather than septic tanks. Secondly people are more concerned with how well their clothes it cleaned vs. the consequences of the use of that product.

As for websites that say that a given product is not good for a certain reason, I find that the majority of them have a hidden agenda. They are either run by the manufacturer of another product or the author as a personal grudge against the product they are saying is not good.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Click for full size
In my quest for products labeled safe for septic, Walmart had a grand total of zero products. But interestingly, Target has one labeled as such: Up&Up Fabric Softener. I bought it and tried it. The consistency is different from Downy, and it seemed to work just as well.

I may end up migrating to dryer sheets anyway... or nothing for fabric softener at all.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Skip fabric softener all together. Get a dryer ball of some type.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 44U3DKG/
»www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6 ··· 7Y2TBI4/

Do you keep up the eco-system in your septic? You either let it build up and pump more often or keep the eco-system working which eats up some of the stuff to keep from pumping as much.
»www.amazon.com/Septic-Tr ··· 001MEKBW

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Critsmcgee:

Get a dryer ball of some type.

Interesting, I'd never heard of those before. Thanks!
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
well, thank god I have a 3 cesspools, I don't have to go through conniptions to find something compatible with them.. it seems septic tanks are too expensive to properly operate.. but then, if you live in an area that requires them, you have to have the money to maintain that type of system..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
My guess is the safe for septic systems listing on the product is a sales gimmick, nothing more.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

Municipal systems are engineered to deal with the high solids content; residential systems are not.

Interesting semi related fun fact to this, Water saver toilets are causing sewer systems to clog now. apparently not enough water with the most common solid to keep the pipes flowing in some areas.